Would you change name to Manchester Athletic?

i love Oldham.

I'ts a part of Greate Manchester. I has been for 200 years (economically, and geographically then politically)

Along with seven other districts (excluidng the to cities in the middle), it's what makes GREATER Manchester. I'm proud of it. !

Saddleworth, Oldham, Greater Manchester, Lancashire. Not a problem, Not mutually exclusive.

Love the city centre - love it!!!

But, Manchester Athletic....Never. Manchester North End.....????

No, of course not. Point is, we have our i.d, and GM is one layer which we should embrace.

i love Oldham.

I'ts a part of Greate Manchester. I has been for 200 years (economically, and geographically then politically)

Along with seven other districts (excluidng the to cities in the middle), it's what makes GREATER Manchester. I'm proud of it. !

Saddleworth, Oldham, Greater Manchester, Lancashire. Not a problem, Not mutually exclusive.

Love the city centre - love it!!!

But, Manchester Athletic....Never. Manchester North End.....????

No, of course not. Point is, we have our i.d, and GM is one layer which we should embrace.

its never been in greater :censored:chester for the past 200 yrs oldham has always been in lancs to me and always will be,so to suggest any name change would be so :censored:ing abhorent it hurts

Imagine if somebody said to you "where are you from?" And you replied with "Greater Manchester." How much of a prick would you sound?

That is all.

I've already done so, technically I said "Heywood, Greater Manchester", on a far bigger stage than this one and didn't sound a prick at all. But each to their own.

I've already done so, technically I said "Heywood, Greater Manchester", on a far bigger stage than this one and didn't sound a prick at all. But each to their own.

You might not think you did, but you will have done.

Though my point was just saying Greater Manchester, and nothing else.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Born in Oldham, live in Middleton and have always classed myself as a Mancunian. I love the city, having great pride in its standing and achievements.

I've never bought into the "We're not part of Manchester" stuff and, likewise, always invoke the cricket ruling that doesn't see Manchester as being excluded from Lancashire. However, I couldn't imagine anyone that remains as a supporter of the club through years of chanting the clubs name through defeat after defeat thinking that a name change was palatable.

You might not think you did, but you will have done.

Though my point was just saying Greater Manchester, and nothing else.

For your first point I highly doubt it- the stage was big enough that someone would have commented on twitter. Although, it helps that there is more than one place which sounds like Heywood in the UK. As to your second, who says they are from "Greater Manchester" without adding a word like area at the end or a place within Greater Manchester at the start.

Weren't the counties broke up and renamed for political reasons? It helped with voting allowing more councils, therefore a better chance of getting, say, a Conservative council in Lancashire?

As for the name, I'd revolt against Oldham United. As it is, yes, drag us into Greater Manchester - I don't recognise it, personally - but the town isn't in Manchester. They're two different places so I don't see why it would happen.

Hearn fully understand that clubs like Orient and Barnet - and Oldham, Rochdale and Bury (and the Cheshire clubs) are doomed because the City clubs (the big ones) have become super clubs.

They're essentially Tesco and we're the small, local shop.

Did anyone else see the advertising hoarding for "The Bower Hotel, Greater Manchester" yesterday?

I didn't notice it, but ten times or more as many people will do business in Manchester as Oldham. Getting a few of them to stay here, albeit under slightly false pretences, and spend a few quid to keep locals in employment can only be a good thing.

Saying that, once they've stayed at the Bower they won't come back.

Edited by opinions4u