Would you change name to Manchester Athletic?

Leyton Orient

Hearn says if they get the Olympic Stadium he'll change their name to London Orient, offer free season tickets to u18s in London and says they can get 27,000.

They need the stadium to survive, sure, but if we were Orient fans what would the reaction be?

Leyton is in London isn't it? Whereas I don't class Oldham as manchester.

However if I was a orient fan I'd be going mental at the news, it's ridiculous. Just another step towards how much money rules football nowadays.

I hate that the armed forces get prioritised over everyone else. Why on earth should they get free tickets just for doing a job? Nonsense.

And no, I'd sooner us spend the rest of our existence in this division then change our identity. The soul is being ripped out of football as it is.

JonesyOAFC its probably because they live their lives in warzones risking them for the good of others.

Its different for Leyton Orient though as there isn't a team by the name of London, like London United or London City, whereas we have Manchester United and Manchester City, aswell as the fact I wouldn't class us as part of Manchester, WE HAVE OUR OWN POSTAL CODE!! just think itd be easier for them to change their name than it would be for us, but no, never.

:censored: Greater Manchester,Merseyside & the other made up counties from the mid 70's.I was born in Southport,a proud Lancastrian first,an Englishman second.

Anyway,back on topic,Leyton is in London so it wouldn't be like Wimbledon changing its name to Milton Keynes Dons(scum).

JonesyOAFC its probably because they live their lives in warzones risking them for the good of others.

Its different for Leyton Orient though as there isn't a team by the name of London, like London United or London City, whereas we have Manchester United and Manchester City, aswell as the fact I wouldn't class us as part of Manchester, WE HAVE OUR OWN POSTAL CODE!! just think itd be easier for them to change their name than it would be for us, but no, never.

All post codes are for is to help the Royal Mail sort post. The boundaries are pretty arbitrary.

There was a very good post when the Failsworth thing was being done to death. Greater Manchester is a developing and frontrunning city. I was walking through town the other day and irrespective of recession, it's amazing how much stuff is being built and developed. If Oldham as a town wants to move forward and not be left to rot and ruin, those stick-in-the-muds who for some reason don't want to be known to be part of the wider conurbation (which Oldham is, like it or not) need to loosen up and move with the times. You can be proud to be part of Oldham and Greater Manchester too. Nobody's asking you to go to Maine Road.

Alas no, of course the club should never become Manchester Athletic. The above points are largely due to the bizarre hostility and inwardness implied by some posts on the thread. Looking at the Orient reaction most aren't fussed because as well as it possibly just being Hearn being Hearn, they refer to their club as Orient anyway and that's still staying. If they were to become Olympic Leyton I reckon there'd be a much bigger outcry.

Edited by jsslatic

All post codes are for is to help the Royal Mail sort post. The boundaries are pretty arbitrary.

There was a very good post when the Failsworth thing was being done to death. Greater Manchester is a developing and frontrunning city. I was walking through town the other day and irrespective of recession, it's amazing how much stuff is being built and developed. If Oldham as a town wants to move forward and not be left to rot and ruin, those stick-in-the-muds who for some reason don't want to be known to be part of the wider conurbation (which Oldham is, like it or not) need to loosen up and move with the times. You can be proud to be part of Oldham and Greater Manchester too. Nobody's asking you to go to Maine Road.

Alas no, of course the club should never become Manchester Athletic. The above points are largely due to the bizarre hostility and inwardness implied by some posts on the thread. Looking at the Orient reaction most aren't fussed because as well as it possibly just being Hearn being Hearn, they refer to their club as Orient anyway and that's still staying. If they were to become Olympic Leyton I reckon there'd be a much bigger outcry.

Greater Manchester Athletic - has a certain ring to it don't you think? :peepwall:

I hate that the armed forces get prioritised over everyone else. Why on earth should they get free tickets just for doing a job? Nonsense.

And no, I'd sooner us spend the rest of our existence in this division then change our identity. The soul is being ripped out of football as it is.

Yes the armed forces get too much respect. They should be treated like everyone else no one is forcing them to join. Why should they have had free tickets to the Olympics. They could have givern them to disadvantaged families or sold them.

Anyway back on topic stupid idea hope it fails

Don't think the Olympic Stadium is in Orient though? In Leyton Orients position, moving to a stadium that while not in Leyton is quite close I'd take the name change. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that though, you stand to gain nothing apart from looking stupid.

But what does it really change? I guess the big idea is to change the name to London to encourage sponsors, but are there really sponsors around dumb enough to choose "London Orient" over so many more of Londons bigger and more successful clubs? A move to the olympic stadium alone would make much more difference than a name change would.