croft and today's chants

Just for the tribal effect. Many things sung at football matches don't make sense or behaviour used. Especially when sometimes the very same perpetrators then go off on a Monday morning to do their banker's job. In other words don't try to rationalize it for it can't be nor can you say those that do it belong to one type of the population.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's surely not a serious question is it???

Brighton Grand Hotel 1984

Warrington Town Centre 1993

Canary Wharf 1996

Manchester City Centre 1996

The point I am making is, several thousand people sing that song at England matches not just hooligans.

I certainly dont understand Oldham fans singing it at Kidderminster.

I repeat, when did the IRISH bomb the UK? The above were perpetrated by the IRA a terrorist group, not a country. Small.... No massive difference.

In 1995 the Ireland V England match had to be abandoned following rioting from English hooligans which left 40 injured. THAT song featured heavily. Ordinary fans singing it are a little naive in my opinion.

I repeat, when did the IRISH bomb the UK? The above were perpetrated by the IRA a terrorist group, not a country. Small.... No massive difference.

In 1995 the Ireland V England match had to be abandoned following rioting from English hooligans which left 40 injured. THAT song featured heavily. Ordinary fans singing it are a little naive in my opinion.

The clue is in the name the IRISH Republican Army.

While I understand you think I am generalising Irish people.................. which I am not.

Your generalisation that people who sing a political song at football matches are "hooligans" is very naive!

While I understand you think I am generalising Irish people.................. which I am not.

Your generalisation that people who sing a political song at football matches are "hooligans" is very naive!

From what i understand, it's a political song that has nothing to do with us or the game. I'm guessing it was keep saint george in my heart?

You always get the minority though, just gotta sound them out.

From what i understand, it's a political song that has nothing to do with us or the game. I'm guessing it was keep saint george in my heart?

You always get the minority though, just gotta sound them out.

Thats the one.

Just cant understand the relevance at Kiddie?

I could half understand had it been Wrexham away or somewhere.

Thats the one.

Just cant understand the relevance at Kiddie?

I could half understand had it been Wrexham away or somewhere.

you could say the same of singing Andy Ritchie's magic anywhere now. No point trying to work out stuff that happens at football it's just unique to the game. Football is just tribal.

you could say the same of singing Andy Ritchie's magic anywhere now. No point trying to work out stuff that happens at football it's just unique to the game. Football is just tribal.

MAybe, but I think there's a difference between singing something daft or irrelevant and singing stuff that's intended to create a hate-filled atmosphere.

MAybe, but I think there's a difference between singing something daft or irrelevant and singing stuff that's intended to create a hate-filled atmosphere.

Lets also be honest here, who actually thinks about hate filled feelings when this is sung at the back of a shed in Kidderminster? I would suggest you don't along with the entire stand.

I was at Sheff Wednesday vs Peterborough yesterday and they sang "you're getting slapped in a minute" to Chris Kirkland at the end of the day it's sledging, it's not big and it's not clever but if it's going to get an opposition player wound up and put him off his game then people are going to sing it

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Lets also be honest here, who actually thinks about hate filled feelings when this is sung at the back of a shed in Kidderminster? I would suggest you don't along with the entire stand.

I reckon the lads singing the song aren't expressing deep-seated love for Pakistanis or Turks!

I reckon the lads singing the song aren't expressing deep-seated love for Pakistanis or Turks!

FFS am on about no surrender. Jesus lets all talk about the same thing. Whilst we are at it have you a deep seated love for Pakistanis and Turks?

Edited by Lags

FFS am on about no surrender. Jesus lets all talk about the same thing. Whilst we are at it have you a deep seated love for Pakistanis and Turks?

I try to take each person as I find them. Re: No Surrender, I do associate it with anti-Irish hatred and I'd rather not be subjected. No doubt of course people on here and elsewhere will have sung it without meaning that, which I accept.

They were reporting news the first time and made clear it was an allegation, together with PD's vigorous defence. The second mention was ill-conceived but entirely fleeting and the only people who'd have thought anything of it were some of our fans who felt upset. I can't imagine many or any of the Kidderminster fans were watching or interested.

Hmm, sounded to me like they used 'alleged' in the same sense as BBC News uses it in the Saville case...

Apparently (via twitter) our fans sang songs about Jimmy Saville, the Blades ball-boy, Munich and the large Pakistani population in Oldham.

It makes it very difficult for the club to take the moral high-ground if a minority of our fans sing those sort of songs. No matter what miscarriage of media reporting has been suffered by one of our players.

We heard some of these chants most where youngish kids stood behind us we found them quite annoying so decided to move to the other part of the terrace in the second half. Where we where treated to Col Moore giving us a good sing song with where on are way to Wembley and we shall not be moved.

Yep indeed though an important bit to miss out RA.

No such generalisation made, I said its a hooligan song and that ordinary fans who sing it are naive. Obviously no harm is intended by yourself but as a proud Englishman and 2nd generation Irish immigrant, I don't think it has a place in 2012 in an all English Football game.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Yep indeed though an important bit to miss out RA.

No such generalisation made, I said its a hooligan song and that ordinary fans who sing it are naive. Obviously no harm is intended by yourself but as a proud Englishman and 2nd generation Irish immigrant, I don't think it has a place in 2012 in an all English Football game.

And I am also of Irish descent, Tuam in County Galway to be precise.

I dont get the point of your argument because I think if you go back and read my posts, I am also questioning why this was being sung at an all English football match.

A few of the 'burbs' came in the club before the game, on seeing a rather calm, dignified atmosphere with a bit of banter amongst lots of families, plenty of chat and the beer going down well, one or two thought we'd want to join in on a sing song, they were left on their own in a crowd of a couple of hundred, it soon petered out to murmurs ':censored:in' borin' in 'ere….'

I'm sure if others wanted to start off songs, fellow fans would have joined in, sadly watching someone swagger in Stella'd up, Burbed up wanting to get all aggressive with his sing song, in a club that had been very welcoming to us, as had their fans around the ground, was not the way to go….and the deafening silence that greeted his attempted song, told him that….