Baxter wants to stay

i have not seen the interview but how did it go?

"so Jose are you enjoying it here and what would you say to sticking around?"

"I definitely want to stay at BP i'm loving it here!"

its latics player!

he is not likley to say "we will wait until January speak to my agent and see what better offers come in first, is he?"

having said that i hope he is genuine

what is it with all this talk - as soon as someone says he is staying/is hopeful he is staying, others jump on them and say 'no he won't you idiot he will go for more money'

Since when were 30 posters on here all psychics?????

'Do you want to stay?'

This gives him two options - yes or no

if he wants more money then the answer to the question even if he likes it here is no

If he wants to genuinely stay then money would not be the main driver and he will stay.

If he goes it won't be because he has been dragged away by an agent - it will be because HE HIMSELF does not want to stay; money or otherwise.

Don't understand all this 'oh his agent will get him a deal blah blah' - yeah of course he will line deals up, but since when did the agent sign the contract?

Since when did the player themselves not have the final say as to where they go/who they sign for - its as if the player cannot decide what he wants and is virtually told by this 'voice' what to do, and will do nothing other than what this voice tells them.

The guy is local to the north west, is playing regular football with very decent players around him, has been given an opportunity, likes the management and the way things are going.

AND he is only 20!!!!!

If he was 24-25 i would agree that he may well be off but i just cannot see it.

He may well get offers of 8k a week, but they may be down south etc and wherever he goes he would be a bench-warmer.

Cannot see him going anywhere else until May.

If he wants to go for one reason or another then bye bye - if you don't want to be here then see ya...next.

If he wants to stay he will stay, certainly until May.

Come that time if we haven't by the grace of god gone up then no one can deny him the step up, fairs fair.

What will be will be, but i can see him staying.

Edited by shefflatic

Whilst it obviously positive the lad has said that, it was standard comment stuff,"would you like to stay beyond Xmas" "Oh definately yeah, am enjoying my football, loving every minute of it"....

Edited by Lags

He did sound like he was drunk when he was saying it, but that's just how people from Bootle talk, I don't think they've got round to replacing the lead water pipes round there yet.

He does seem like he's genuinely enjoying being here, we're not stupid and we know he can (and, if we're brutally honest, should) play at a higher level for more money, but we can only hope. And turn up to games and/or give to PlayerShare.

Isn't there the wage cap issue? We'd probably need (and be willing) to make him our highest paid player. But if we don't get any more bums on seats, even if we could afford to do it, we wouldn't be allowed to.

Spot on. Wage bill as a percentage of turnover.

I assume PlayerShare income is part of turnover. But bums on seats are the key to it. And I don't mean £10 season tickets.

This salary cap and % of turnover surely can be worked around?

SC or a pal donates £x to the club as sponsorship / advertising. If only 60% can be used for wages then that payment to the club factors in 60% of £x being whatever we agree with Jose to sign him on 2 year deal.

Jose market value then escalates and the donor gets their 60% back with interest (say 5%), club get c25% and Jose gets 10% when he moves on.

Speculate to accumulate as its obvious that the return on Jose will only increase from today's position regardless of what is spent to secure him longer term.

This salary cap and % of turnover surely can be worked around?

SC or a pal donates £x to the club as sponsorship / advertising. If only 60% can be used for wages then that payment to the club factors in 60% of £x being whatever we agree with Jose to sign him on 2 year deal.

Jose market value then escalates and the donor gets their 60% back with interest (say 5%), club get c25% and Jose gets 10% when he moves on.

Speculate to accumulate as its obvious that the return on Jose will only increase from today's position regardless of what is spent to secure him longer term.

That may well break 3rd party ownership rules ala Tevez

I'd clarify I've consistantly said a 4 year contract from his first appearance

Interesting, so you'd be relying on him being sold to make us any money. He could feasibly get us promoted in that time but then again similar things were said about Chris Taylor. I'm sorry to say but I dont think Corney can afford to splash the cash to keep Baxter here for 4 years without a guaranteed return on his money.