Baxter wants to stay

Spot on. Wage bill as a percentage of turnover.

I assume PlayerShare income is part of turnover. But bums on seats are the key to it. And I don't mean £10 season tickets.

The only accurate figure for turnover, ust be in the last published accounts. Is that the figure the FL uses? If so then more bums on seats will make no difference as they will only be counted in the next accounts.

I'd clarify I've consistantly said a 4 year contract from his first appearance

Unless there were some pretty significant release clauses in that contract there's absolutely no way Baxter would sign it. He knows he's better than league one and won't want to potentially lock himself into playing at this level for that sort of stretch. I think the best we can hope for is that he signs an 18 month deal.

I believe - but stand to be corrected - that there are "fair play" clauses in the deal which prevent "creative accounting"

The last time they were talking about a wage cap (and didn't that die a quiet death?) I think owners were able to put money into the turnover for example in the form of big sponsorship deals but they couldn't count things like Director's Loans as this is adding to the debt and potentially risks the clubs future. Playershare is "real money" so I should have thought it was OK.

Unless there were some pretty significant release clauses in that contract there's absolutely no way Baxter would sign it. He knows he's better than league one and won't want to potentially lock himself into playing at this level for that sort of stretch. I think the best we can hope for is that he signs an 18 month deal.

And nowt wrong with putting some clauses in ther like if a big club comes a knocking..... you can have x% of the fee.

I'd love him to stay, if only for the rest of the season, and I totally buy in to the fact that he loves playing here at the moment. He's got some decent players around him and he's getting the match time that he craved in a team that plays around him. Not to mention, the adulation he gets from the supporters must mean that he bounces onto the pitch on match days.

However, I just don't see how we get round the problem of not being in a position of being able to offer a wage that other clubs will have. Even without the cap, how much sense would it make to offer one player a mountain of cash when so many contracts are up for negotiation before the end of the season? A percentage of a transfer fee won't matter a jot if he can effectively trouser the lot himself (plus, who knows, maybe five times his weekly wage) when he's a free agent in January with a glorious few months at OAFC on his CV.

As said elsewhere, enjoy him whilst he's here. Take the positive that despite our facilities we're able to produce an environment where such players are able to enjoy their football and hope that, in these remaining weeks, the Oldham public return to BP so we can maybe keep hold of these talents in the future.

“I am enjoying my football and loving every minute of it,” he said. “I definitely want to stay. I love it here.

“The gaffer, the lads – every part of the club is top drawer. There haven’t been any talks yet but, hopefully, that will come.”

"I am enjoying my football and loving every minute of it," he said. "I definitely want to stay. I love it here.

"The gaffer, the lads – every part of the club is top drawer. There haven't been any talks yet but, hopefully, that will come."

Given that his contract expires in January, I think it's about time talks began!

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/74939/i-want-to-stay

Edited by Mark59

If you don't aim high you fall low.

Besides, Montano signed for 2 seasons from the Prem. Go fo a full 4 seasons with the clause they won't be held back should the dream move come about. Those extra seasons on paper will make the deal worth more.

Edited by Lags

I can see similarities.

Yeah both scouse...the end. Billy Kenny was already finished being a drug head and Royle gave him last chance saloon lifeline. Alas like many a drug head before him and after he couldn't take it. How long did he last?

Jose Baxter is not at and never was near last chance saloon having blown his body away. I can't even believe any comparison as been suggested.