Another New Manager Thread

There's been a lot of talk on here recently about Dickov's performance/record as manager which, under the lightest scrutiny, appears less than stellar. Personally, I think he's reached the end of the road so a new guy needs to come in before the Donny cup game to give him time to see what he's dealing with as getting into the third round is vital for financial reasons.

The question is who?

If we ignore the usual calls for Ritchie/Dowie?Sheridan.......who are realistic options?

If we go down the route of another first-timer, can we at least bring in an experienced assistant as I think that was/is Dickov's downfall?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like Billy Davies or Steve Cotterill, they've both had success in bringing a struggling club into safety; Cotterill would be #1 choice + Davies has never managed at this level so I'm not sure if he'd take the job anyway.

Before he joined Burnley, Sean Dyche was my first choice but we obviously can't get him now. I think he would've been perfect but its in the past now so I'll forget about it.

I'm not adverse to a young, first time manager either, they can be successes but for this situation it would be extremely risky to bring one in. Is it one for an older, wise head? All I know is that in January, when the team loses Derbyshire, Baxter and Wabara we will need a manager that can deal in the transfer market on low funds but predominantly it is about motivation and authority and simply getting the players to reach their potential, because if we do get that to happen then I'm almost certain that with this squad we won't be in the bottom 4. See Eddie Howe and Bournemouth

Candidates who I'd like to see us with is Cotterill, Davies, Sven., Brown. These all have good track records but they also have some patches in their too. Wages could be a problem with Cotterill and Davies.

The fact that brown and Sven both applied for the job at Hartlepool suggests maybe the wage they ask for aint that high.

I don't understand this " we have no funds" argument. Stevenage, tranmere, Crawley etc have the same, if not less funds than us and they aren't doing too bad.

Crawley have lots more funds than us. Nevertheless, the others do have similar or less than us. Another thing I realise with Stevenage is that they seem to score wondergoals every week, they have a very talented bunch there. Trannies have loanees and they've gelled together through Ronnie's management. There doesn't seem to be a link in the managers. They've all managed before is the only pattern so maybe an experienced manager is necessary for us.

I think we need someone with motivation skills and tactical nous. I think we have the players who can get us up the division.......I just don't think we are using them. We have forwards who are continually feeding off scraps.......every club we play seems to have a winger who can cross.....we have wingers who can but don't.

I was hoping Keith Hill might have been available by now. It's still only a matter of time.

Unlike many others, i wouldn't say no to a Royle-Ritchie-Bunn combo.

I wouldn't mind that nutter Dowie, but no chance given his relationship with the chairman.

Sheridan? shown his limits.

i honestly don't think Billy Davies or Steve Coterill would be interested, but you never know. Manager's jobs are like rocking horse :censored:. I'd like either of them.

Which is why we have the strange situation with Sven! Anyone else think it's a bit weird?

Brown - all fake tan and no substance.

Knill? nill.

Young and untried? I am still alone by suggesting Fowler. Any others?