• Neil Warnock
    • Mick Wadsworth
    • Iain Dowie
    • John Sheridan
    • Brian Talbot
    • Ronnie Moore
    • Dave Penney
    • Paul Dickov
  2. 2. Who has been your least favourite?

• Greame Sharp
    • Neil Warnock
    • Mick Wadsworth
    • Iain Dowie
    • John Sheridan
    • Brian Talbot
    • Ronnie Moore
    • Dave Penney
    • Paul Dickov

I know they say you can never polish excreta, I don't for one minute believe that if Dickov does get the chop we should go back and I don't want to create another "what if" thread but I was having a conversation with a mate last night and we were wondering out of some of the managers we've had which one has been your favourite?

(I've not included Joe Royle or Andy Ritchie because they are regarded as club legends and I feel people would vote on a sentimental basis)

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Dickov win % = 29

Penney win % = 27

There's clearly other reasons for everybodies hatred of Penney but just footballing record terms they compare quite similarly.

compared with

Shez 40%

Moore 35%

Talbot 36%

Dowie 38%

Wadsworth 43%

Ritchie 33%

Warnock 32%

Sharp 30%

Royle (first spell) 37%

I'm convinced anyone who's voted for Penney as least favourite must be too young to remember Sharp.

I may have only been 10 years old in his final season and we never had messageboards and social networking but I've never seen a manager receive as much abuse as Sharp did. They used to wait outside the main entrance after a defeat and protest

as for Warnock I wish we had a half time team talk like this yesterday:

(warning, colourful language)

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Supported Latics for 24 years and I remember the time when Sharp was manager, worst manager during my time and possibly the worst in the history of the club! The reason for this was he had the majority of the players still at the club from the Royle era and did nothing with them except give them free transfers for other clubs to benefit from and near enough put us to where we are now! His time as manager still annoys me to this day and the fact he released my favourite player of all time "Rick Holden" when Rick still had a lot to offer! Then went on to replace him with either Paul Rickers or Toddy Orlygson, who were not in his class! The fact that Sharp is now a tour guide at Everton says a lot for his management skills! :ranting:

I'm convinced anyone who's voted for Penney as least favourite must be too young to remember Sharp.

i fall under that, voted Penney. Picked Shez as favourite, mainly because we'd be 50/50 against lower teams but we'd always be up for the bigger game and get decent results at Leeds/Forest etc

Supported Latics for 24 years and I remember the time when Sharp was manager, worst manager during my time and possibly the worst in the history of the club! The reason for this was he had the majority of the players still at the club from the Royle era and did nothing with them except give them free transfers for other clubs to benefit from and near enough put us to where we are now! His time as manager still annoys me to this day and the fact he released my favourite player of all time "Rick Holden" when Rick still had a lot to offer! Then went on to replace him with either Paul Rickers or Toddy Orlygson, who were not in his class! The fact that Sharp is now a tour guide at Everton says a lot for his management skills! :ranting:

sharp did not strip the club, of yours chums! he was ordered to totally clear, the decks! by the then board of j.w.lees- the guy, never stood, a remote chance.... and became the first, of the many fall guys.

I'm old enough to remember 90 Minutes magazine naming Graeme Sharp as 'one to watch' and describing him as 'promising' as a young manager. Didn't last long, obviously. He certainly didn't help himself coming out with stuff like "this isn't pressure, playing in Europe for Everton, that was pressure". Hope it's true that Sami Hyypia still rips him to pieces whenever he sees him about being "no better than what we've already got".

I recall a conversation I had with an older Latics fan I met at a Jubilee party one of my dad's mate's place.

Him: He never wanted to be there as a manager

Me: No, I don't think he really wanted to be there as a player either.

Him: No.

Him: :censored:.

sharp did not strip the club, of yours chums! he was ordered to totally clear, the decks! by the then board of j.w.lees- the guy, never stood, a remote chance.... and became the first, of the many fall guys.

He had a good 6-9 months of doing something with my chums as you put it. But failed! Before they had there clear out(some were still there after 6-9 months Jobson, Henry, Halle). Need I remind you that my chums achieved more for our club than any other player has done past or present.