Greedy league

Find it ironic we all spend our money cheering our team on to success, all in the hope of achieving the pinnacle once again... Prem league football.

But following Latics in the greedy league wouldnt be anywhere near as satisfying as it is no we.

Losing 5 nil to arsenal's 10 foreigners.

Paying 75 quid to go to QPR.

Having to make travel arrangements to Southampton on a monday night to keep sky's tv cameras happy.

Im all for change but english prem.leagur is a disgrace.

Cant agree with that, everyone would be buzzing if we were in the "greedy league" as you put it.

I think it is funny how lower league fans always slag off the Premier League but at the end of the day it is where we all want to be.

Not anymore it isn't. I know plenty of lower league fans who are completely indifferent to the idea of making it into the Premier League, including myself. The amount it costs to go and watch League One football is a disgrace in itself, the money involved in the Premier League would probably kill my enthusiasm for live football off altogether.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

Not anymore it isn't. I know plenty of lower league fans who are completely indifferent to the idea of making it into the Premier League, including myself. The amount it costs to go and watch League One football is a disgrace in itself, the money involved in the Premier League would probably kill my enthusiasm for live football off altogether.

Same, my mates a Burnley fan and he said, as good as that one season in the prem was he's not too fussed either way whether they ever get back there really. The "glamour" of it really isn't there anymore for me. Paying a fortune to go watch a lot of "talented footballers" who behave like petulant children and seem to believe they're above the law and common decency?

I'd love a dabble in the championship though! (if only.....)

I like rolling up at 2:45 pm , and being seated with a drink before 3 pm on Saturdays .

For those who aren't old enough to recall our time at the top or the division above , this might not be enough ......but unfortunately without some mega million buy out it is our future.

Too much money in the premier league wouldn't want to go up there until ticket prices are reduced why are they so expensive anyway. They get loads of money in tv rights. We need a cap on ticket prices and all teams should have a majority of English players and staff.

I quite enjoy dozing off during the home matches. :wink:

I got a freeby ticket to go to watch utd at the theatre of nightmares a couple of years ago

I sat there during the game looking at the programme

The person next to me slagged me off, saying I should be watching the game , as he had a mate who couldn't get a ticket

Wtf?

Edited by stevesidg

The premier league itself might not be all its cracked up to be but if we were to get there that would be 2 promotions it would be a great journey getting there and if we did go there

If its on offer i'd take it why the hell not so what if its only for a couple of season so what just sit back and enjoy the ride. Its starting to pish me off when lower league fans call it the greedy league makes sound bitter and pathetic. What do we want to be league 1 football forever playing in a 3 sided dump.

Ask a swansea or a Norwich fan where they would rather be?

If someone buys latics, we do a norwich & stay there - I for 1 would be very happy.

Absolutely.

Give me Liverpool, Citeh, Everton and ManUre away everytime rather than Crewe, Bury, Walsall and Doncaster.

Interesting debate and I don't think it's black and white.

Ultimately football is all about being successful and to that end, the Premiership is the place to be. Likewise, as has been said above, games against the top teams in the country get the juices flowing a lot more than yet another trip to Hartlepool on a Tuesday night.

On the flip side, to me it's all about going to games and the social aspects that accompany it. For a lot of people, if we made it to the top flight they just wouldn't be able to go as often as they do now. Football in League one is expensive but nowhere near what we could have to fork out higher up. How many of us could afford a trip to Chelsea at sixty odd quid a ticket and full price rail fare as you only find out a few weeks before if it's going to be played Sat, Sun or Mon? When you can afford to make it you find yourself having to make arrangements to find a pub that will let you in. The likelihood is that it'll be an 'away only' pub so you cannot mix with the home fans because the police won't let you.

The entire point of competitive sport is to be the best. It completely defeats the object if you don't aspire to be sitting pretty at the summit of the highest division.

As a player maybe. As a fan it isn't. Do you seriously support Latics in the hope of success?

Seen us play in all 4 divisions .... whilst the glamour of the premier league is the dream for the players, earning mega wonga and appearing on TV every week. The fan, well whilst 1991 was a vintage year that saw us promoted in typical Latics fashion, the best most wonderous feeling was the 4-3 Southampton match ensuring another season in the Prem ... The collective sigh of relief in the Chaddy was amazing, BUT the most affection I have ever felt for this club was when it was on its death bed, struggling to survive. The not knowing brought the fans of OAFC together in a way they never have been.

Im not sure about the premier league as it is now ... and its going to get worse.

I cant watch MOTD anymore....Highlights presented in ass kissing fashion and as for the live games... MEH. I like football when I care about who wins and frankly I really could not give a flying f***. I cant even be arsed berating the red sox. Why do I need some retired player drawing me a pretty picture of how (insert centre half) is out of position and (insert forward) ripped him a new one. Eff off the lot of you.... lets watch another 10 mins of the highlights and not you, you overpaid .......... meh

The premier league itself might not be all its cracked up to be but if we were to get there that would be 2 promotions it would be a great journey getting there and if we did go there

If its on offer i'd take it why the hell not so what if its only for a couple of season so what just sit back and enjoy the ride. Its starting to pish me off when lower league fans call it the greedy league makes sound bitter and pathetic. What do we want to be league 1 football forever playing in a 3 sided dump.

It's the greedy IMO because it was set up by self-serving people under the pretence of improving the England team. However due to internal mis-management and the granting of board positions to people on the board of the premier league to the FA, the FA has been compromised and is now the poor relation hence the standing of the FA Cup compared to the positioning it used to have. Ref the football I believe our division is truer to the game that I enjoyed growing up with and that is played by many than that of the premier league where gamesmanship and diving tend to be more common(it saddens me that we do see this in our league as well)and that tackling and the physical side of the game are becoming less and less common.

The game with players who could tackle and take a tackle as well as show skills on the ball doesnt exist in our top division anymore but you still get glimpses of it the lower down the pyramid you go(in the pro game). That's why I prefer the football that I watch rather than Premier league which reminds all to often of sanitised exhibition games.

Too much money in the premier league wouldn't want to go up there until ticket prices are reduced why are they so expensive anyway. They get loads of money in tv rights. We need a cap on ticket prices and all teams should have a majority of English players and staff.

Tickets are that expensive because people will pay those prices. At some grounds (e.g. Wigan) the prices are lower because they can't shift them. It's simple supply and demand economics.

It's the greedy IMO because it was set up by self-serving people under the pretence of improving the England team. However due to internal mis-management and the granting of board positions to people on the board of the premier league to the FA, the FA has been compromised and is now the poor relation hence the standing of the FA Cup compared to the positioning it used to have. Ref the football I believe our division is truer to the game that I enjoyed growing up with and that is played by many than that of the premier league where gamesmanship and diving tend to be more common(it saddens me that we do see this in our league as well)and that tackling and the physical side of the game are becoming less and less common.

The game with players who could tackle and take a tackle as well as show skills on the ball doesnt exist in our top division anymore but you still get glimpses of it the lower down the pyramid you go(in the pro game). That's why I prefer the football that I watch rather than Premier league which reminds all to often of sanitised exhibition games.

So you wouldn't join in the promotion party of we got there?

Football at this level maybe truer your right, the demise in value of the FA Cup is somewhat sad, as is the value of now playing for England I agree wholeheartedly with you.

However this still does not stop me wanting to be a part of it if we can, that’s what keeps me going and I would imagine a fair few others the hope that we can again one day reach the summit of the game no matter how distant that dream maybe at the moment there is always hope, alright we won't see the likes of a Messi in an Oldham shirt or the Champions league or Premiership trophy paraded at the civic centre but we can still have some kind of success.

That’s the point of our Motto Keep the faith because one day it will be rewarded.