Dickov not right for us

Ok, I have been called a "happy clapper" and all sorts of stuff this season for defending Dickov.

We all have a breaking point and mine was "almost" last week, the manner of defeat Vs Swindon was shocking.

PD is a lovely fella and he genuinely cares about Latics, it's there for all to see.

However our league position is :censored: (especially given our squad so far).

I had a bet with Brad (dickov sacked by christmas post) ages ago and thought he was mad to suggest it, but I've had enough now. I would be happy enough to pay out in the next few days if it happens (although it wont).

The main reason people have backed him this long is an undoubted ability to attract a higher calibre of player to the club, mixed with some fantastic occasional performances.

You look at the team on paper and think "surely" they ll click, and every time they do it buys dickov a few weeks whilst the usual dross is served .

However clearly there are many times where these players couldn't give a :censored: , yep some will have off days, but not as many as us, and that falls on the manager, as does tactics so dated and easy to play against, classic example as mentioned in another post, playing smith with no one to chase his flick ons , that's all he offers, so a totally inept choice. Why doesn't he play the squad players when the 1st 11 are so :censored:e, there's no fear of losing the jersey , and no motivation for squad players. Finally change this rigid 4 across the middle , more often than not the central pair are overran and the wingers unable to get into the game , why not try 3 in the middle , tighten it up , with 3 up top? Probably coz the squad is so set up for 442 that we don't have the right type of players. Fed up !

I think we are all fed up and are just waiting on the board to make the change.

I want Dickov to resign and show some dignity. He can't truly believe he can turn it round can he? - it's been like this since he was in charge, and we've still got the usual 2nd half dip to contend with (which has already started vs Swindon and now yesterday......).

When we're hot we're untouchable, when we're not it's really poor. Our players passing at times is so bad, they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat! We're not hot enough of the time, only when the axe hangs over the manager.....

The problem I have with changing the manager (and it really needs to happen though) is the that we won't attract a decent enough coach to stop what keeps happening. Since Talbot was appointed, each manager has delivered sides which are lacking steel / heart / effort / never say die attitude.........

So if we lose Dickov, who's to say it won't happen all over again?

Also, if we make the change, will there be any funds available to find new players?

That said, at least (hopefully) a new manager won't make us wait until 31st August before the squad is "ready".

The past two seasons we've had a lob-sided squad until long-term loan signings come in. That usually means we've had 2-3 home games with a 'not quite ready' squad. Would the owners take that into consideration when prices for season tickets come out?

Who would plan for that? The first 2-3 home matches being crap whilst we wait on loadees......cant the management sort out the squad before the first game!?!?! Whilst I understand our financial situation means we have to rely on loan signings, surely you plan for having your players sorted for pre-season training?????

Ok, I have been called a "happy clapper" and all sorts of stuff this season for defending Dickov.

We all have a breaking point and mine was "almost" last week, the manner of defeat Vs Swindon was shocking.

PD is a lovely fella and he genuinely cares about Latics, it's there for all to see.

However our league position is :censored: (especially given our squad so far).

I had a bet with Brad (dickov sacked by christmas post) ages ago and thought he was mad to suggest it, but I've had enough now. I would be happy enough to pay out in the next few days if it happens (although it wont).

He's not right for any club as it stands. If you can't motivate/arouse the players to become a team instead of a group of individuals then you aren't fit to be a manager.

Reminds me of the NFL draft, there are over 250 players being chosen by 32 teams and within the pack there are always some who just don't make it. They were successful in college but couldn't step up to the NFL with the pro's. Same with all walks of life, sport in particular, we plucked Dickov as an athlete to being a manager and we just have to face the fact that not everyone is cut out for it.

The element that makes it harder to sack Dickov is his nous in the transfer market and his persuasiveness to attract players here that you would expect us to reject.

However, this is an attribute you would expect most managers to pick up as they gain experience but motivating and having the ability to stimulate a squad is a more natural talent.

You can bring in as many gems as you want but if they don't gel then it's a worthless process.

The main problem is he's fireproof.

Corney can't afford to sack him and his tea swilling backroom staff.

PD is now going right down in my estimation, and it will go against him when he is looking for his next job, if he had the bollocks to offer his resignation the chairman would take his arm off upto the elbow! But its not going to happen.

We could stay away but that'll hurt the club more, better turning up and telling him what you think.

:censored: the happy clappers! They'll turn up in the blue square north. I Won't !!

I like Dickov as a guy and would like him to be manager for a long time, well I would have if he had shown he had the nous to be right for us. I think he will do a good job somewhere, but it won't be now, here. Hopefully he will learn from what has gone wrong here and grow as a manager, but he won't be gone before Forest that's for sure.

I hate the terms "happy clapper" and "doom and gloomer", I know they can't be but I'd love it if they were banned from here.

The vast majority of Latics fans are pretty balanced and realistic about how good/bad we are.

What I hate about those terms is that people love to bandish them around rather easily instead of taking on board what other fans have to say.

It feels like even like inconcistency theory is being stretched now....

Agreed with Corney when he said recently that the only thing we've been consistent at this season, is being inconsistent.

But to me it's starting to feel like we're consistently bad more often than we're consistently good, while being inconsistent.

...so does that mean we are now inconsistently inconsistent?

It feels like even the inconcistency theory is being stretched now....

Agreed with Corney when he said recently that the only thing we've been consistent at this season, is being inconsistent.

But to me it's starting to feel like we're consistently bad more often than we're consistently good, while being inconsistent.

PD is now going right down in my estimation, and it will go against him when he is looking for his next job, if he had the bollocks to offer his resignation the chairman would take his arm off upto the elbow! But its not going to happen.

We could stay away but that'll hurt the club more, better turning up and telling him what you think.

:censored: the happy clappers! They'll turn up in the blue square north. I Won't !!

Like asbestos!

Give it try, I have seen some excellent games in the Blue Square North, with part time players giving total commitment.

The freedom to move about anywhere and the friendly social clubs are added bonuses.

It feels like even the inconcistency theory is being stretched now....

I would say it consists of being consistantly inconsistant.

Guest Scratch2000uk

That's always a risk.

I just take the view that 80% of managers have a better record than PD, so the odds are in favour of change leading to improvement.

I agree, I just have no confidence in the selectors getting it right next time around.

Guest Scratch2000uk

No Latics fans likes what's going on with results etc,

You can see there are some genuine fans who will stick through thick and thin, They should be commended rather than maginalised as "Happy Clappers", They just love the club through and through, here's nothing wrong with that.

The sub-title of ths thread - "not right for us" begs an obvious question.

We've tried:

Experienced lower division managers ( times many)

Ex- club legend

A novice

One recommended from on high (allegedly)

And none have been "right for us". Maybe there are other factors....??

Edited by Dave_Og

The sub-title of ths thread - "not right for us" begs an obvious question.

We've tried:

Experienced lower division managers ( times many)

Ex- club legend

A novice

One recommended from on high (allegedly)

And none have been "right for us". Maybe there are other factors....??

Must be an X factor manager out there somewhere.

I still want him to turn it around and make a success of it here with us; I came to the (hopefully) balanced & informed decision months ago that I just don't think he will be able to however.

The warning signs have been around for a while - but for me; it was the Sheff Weds Cup game that proved to me that PD unfortunately doesnt have the tactical nounce to be a manager; well - more to the point, a successful manager.

He cant / wont affect a game with new ideas or fresh formations or tactics.

If his Plan A - his from the off ideas - dont work; he is clueless to change them. Its been either Matt Smith brought on, M'Voto switched upfront, or both. He has needed a "seasoned" head alongside him to help since day 1, but unlike a few on here; I dont think bringing one in now will help. It's too far along and too far gone now; all it would do is create more problems than it solves.

What the board / Corney need to do is be brave and make a difficult call. PD is a nice bloke, who is trying to do his best.......it just hasn't & isnt working out. And the longer this is dragged out; the worse it's going to get.

Im a ST holder; and even though I really hate the term, I guess I could be classed (and have been classed) a happy clapper. But - what i'd like to be classed as is a balanced realist. I actually have not enjoyed this season. Home games have been frankly :censored:e. And, when the ST holders are feeling like I am, that's a huge issue for the club.

Im not going on Boxing Day as i'll be away. Only a few years ago; that wouldnt have happened; and if it did - i'd have been grumpy as hell about missing the game & constantly checking for a scorr update. The way its been; im actually pleased im missing it.

We need a change, and IMO that needs to be PD going. Yes, there are obviously other issues at the club; but its not about them. Its about a young rookie manager who has had go; and unfortunatly been found wanting. End of the line IMo, and the longer we leave it - the more in the :censored: we fall.

I still want him to turn it around and make a success of it here with us; I came to the (hopefully) balanced & informed decision months ago that I just don't think he will be able to however.

The warning signs have been around for a while - but for me; it was the Sheff Weds Cup game that proved to me that PD unfortunately doesnt have the tactical nounce to be a manager; well - more to the point, a successful manager.

If his Plan A - his from the off ideas - dont work; he is clueless to change them. Its been either Matt Smith brought on, M'Voto switched upfront, or both. He has needed a "seasoned" head alongside him to help since day 1, but unlike a few on here; I dont think bringing one in now will help. It's too far along and too far gone now; all it would do is create more problems than it solves.

What the board / Corney need to do is be brave and make a difficult call. PD is a nice bloke, who is trying to do his best.......it just hasn't & isnt working out. And the longer this is dragged out; the worse it's going to get.

Im a ST holder; and even though I really hate the term, I guess I could be classed (and have been classed) a happy clapper. But - what i'd like to be classed as is a balanced realist. I actually have not enjoyed this season. Home games have been frankly :censored:e. And, when the ST holders are feeling like I am, that's a huge issue for the club.

Im not going on Boxing Day as i'll be away. Only a few years ago; that wouldnt have happened; and if it did - i'd have been grumpy as hell about missing the game & constantly checking for a scorr update. The way its been; im actually pleased im missing it.

We need a change, and IMO that needs to be PD going. Yes, there are obviously other issues at the club; but its not about them. Its about a young rookie manager who has had go; and unfortunatly been found wanting. End of the line IMo, and the longer we leave it - the more in the :censored: we fall.

sly, I reckon you are where i'm at mate.

I think Dickov is a great fella and I would so much like him to take us on a 10 match run and turn this :censored: around but it aint happening.

I like to think my glass is half full rather than being a happy clapper and I think the reason for that is because we have changed it too often.

Dickov had us play some scintillating stuff in the first half of the cup tie Vs Sheffield Weds and Crewe (maybe Preston aswell) but since then we have taken a stage backward.

I have always said that we have a :censored: budget but can no longer use that as we have spent the best part of the season with Baxter (an ex Everton wonder kid who many teams would dream to have at our level) and Derbyshire (his class is there for all to see and was playing in the Champions League not too long ago).

Perhaps he is TOO nice like "Stitch" was.

The main reason people have backed him this long is an undoubted ability to attract a higher calibre of player to the club, mixed with some fantastic occasional performances.

You look at the team on paper and think "surely" they ll click, and every time they do it buys dickov a few weeks whilst the usual dross is served .

However clearly there are many times where these players couldn't give a :censored: , yep some will have off days, but not as many as us, and that falls on the manager, as does tactics so dated and easy to play against, classic example as mentioned in another post, playing smith with no one to chase his flick ons , that's all he offers, so a totally inept choice. Why doesn't he play the squad players when the 1st 11 are so :censored:e, there's no fear of losing the jersey , and no motivation for squad players. Finally change this rigid 4 across the middle , more often than not the central pair are overran and the wingers unable to get into the game , why not try 3 in the middle , tighten it up , with 3 up top? Probably coz the squad is so set up for 442 that we don't have the right type of players. Fed up !

I don't think we play 442. It looks like the Prem tactics of 4231, which doesn't work at our level. If Smith plays then we need to go 442, but that means playing Taylor and leaving out either Wes or Furman with Baxter in midfield, which isn't going to happen. The bottom line is the manager doesn't have the players to change how we play, nor does he have the players to play how we do play. We're stuffed.

Look at Coventry. Same players that were heading for another relegation, new manager, and they are now pushing up the table and will probably finish in the top 6.