Michael Johnson

"I have been attending the Priory Clinic for a number of years now with regard to my mental health and would be grateful if I could now be left alone to live the rest of my life. I am more disappointed than anyone, but that's the way it goes."

Doesn't sound like he wants to get back into football. If he's got mental health issues then the pressure and exposure that professional football can bring is not a good environment to be in.

I hope the rest of his life is stable and peaceful, but I can't help but despise the attitude he took to being a professional footballer earning £40 000 a week.

"I have been attending the Priory Clinic for a number of years now with regard to my mental health and would be grateful if I could now be left alone to live the rest of my life. I am more disappointed than anyone, but that's the way it goes."

Doesn't sound like he wants to get back into football. If he's got mental health issues then the pressure and exposure that professional football can bring is not a good environment to be in.

I hope the rest of his life is stable and peaceful, but I can't help but despise the attitude he took to being a professional footballer earning £40 000 a week.

Just shows that the obscene money paid in the greedy league doesn't always work out best for players.

My fear for this young bloke is that his life will now spiral out of control even more as his money starts to disappear as all the clingers on dont want to know anymore.

Look what happened to Gazza? Once he wasn't in the public eye, Danny Baker and the like didn't want to know.

Priveleged people, just doesn't always work out.

Young blokes without any real guidance apart from money makers like agents.

I once played golf with an ex City kid (think he was called Anthony Wilson) at Denton.

He played in the same City youth team as Killen, but had a bad injury and he said the club never wanted to know after that.

Happens all the time.

I guess not many of us could say we have made the 100% best career out of our natural attributes, be they as a tradesman, IT geek, builder, traffic warden or whatever, we could maybe have all got a bit further on if we'd had a few more nights in, worked later a few more evenings, done a course and so on. We live with that, but to piss an entire career away is sad, especially using the money from that career to make it likely he will never have another is more than sad. I hope all his mates are buying him a round in 15 years when it's all gone.

Could/should have been a brilliant player. In his first couple of seasons in the City team he was excellent, he just seemed to adapt straight away to the Premiership. Scored a few belting goals as well, and I remember some of his link up play with Elano being top class. I know he's had bad injury problems but I'm not convinced that's the only reason for him turning out the way he has. Unfortunately he's now another 'what could have been' in English football.

BAmhsSXCAAA24l_.jpg

The only thing that winds me up about this, is the fact hes pissed up his career and wasted his talent whereas players like Fabrice Muamba and the like have been forced to retire at an early age through illness, injury ect.

To be fair, his mental health issues were the main reason for his career failing.

The more Ive read about this situation the more clear its become for me. I initially had the thought of yet another lazy kid throwing his career away

But like Maddog said this is due to a mental health problem and I genuinely think he probably wanted to make it but just couldn't due to his issues and demons.

This is a different situation to players throwing their careers away by being naughty and lazy. i.e. Marsh Brown (yes Zorrro I mentioned him again)

Morais

I work with people who have mental health issues, some minor, some serious. It is a condition which is unlikely to be resolved and, depending on the severity, is awful and often heartbreaking to witness. Thank God MJ is receiving help, of his own free will possibly. I admire his honesty and bravery in making such a statement and wish him the very best in his future life. Good luck MJ. I hope you are cared for by your nearest and dearest and are never left to fend off your demons alone.

I feel terrible about starting this thread. If anyone's been lazy and stupid, it's me. Mental health problems aren't funny, and the phrase "orgy of self-destruction" is unforgivable journalese.

Apologies.

Not necessarily. It's a sad state of affairs and the booze has probably attributed to his downfall but there's plenty of people fighting demons.

As as been said, mental health problems aren't funny but people are probably being overly sympathetic as it's a huge fall from grace.

I'm sure there's people out there who are suffering with the same issues who, in the eyes of society, just need to pull themselves together and stop being lazy.

Just talking about it with a mate from work who reckons he's 4 or 5 houses he rents out. Wish him nowt but the best but at least he's in a stable position to fight his fight, could be a million times worse.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing isn't it without knowing the details? It could be that what they describe as mental health problems are what we normally describe as, "getting :censored:faced the whole time," in which case it could be at least part self-induced, or he might just have depression or any other condition regardless.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2263198/Michael-Johnson-reveals-mental-health-problems-triggered-Man-City-exit.html

Probably answers a few questions he's 24 so time on his side to turn his life around. Although part of me thinks thats someone somwewhere, thinking particularly about the people around him could have stopped it getting to this stage.

Could/should have been a brilliant player. In his first couple of seasons in the City team he was excellent, he just seemed to adapt straight away to the Premiership. Scored a few belting goals as well, and I remember some of his link up play with Elano being top class. I know he's had bad injury problems but I'm not convinced that's the only reason for him turning out the way he has. Unfortunately he's now another 'what could have been' in English football.

BAmhsSXCAAA24l_.jpg

He looks like the Lotto Lout in that picture.

Hope he turns it around. Remember him ripping it up with his baby face when he had just come through.