Thoughts on Iwelumo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A first good win in a long while in Div 1 and he scores. A big lump who has experience isnt that what we need right now. Smith ISNT FIT...... he hasnt played for a while but by every report hes an asset off the pitch or is he the latest boo boy candidate. Was captain at Watford last September.

Is it coincidence Barnard, 2 in 2 playing with bg Chris? Allowing others to have space as have to mark him tight. Smith of course deserves his chance but if he isnt fit who should we play at CF ? Smith might get on the bench for Everton but you would be barmy to start with him after such a nasty injury. Same with Simpson.

I disagree with this bit experience is what we need at this point and we've been missing it all season a few older heads can calm the nerves and give the direction which will be needed this he was doing alot of that today.

I thought his presence helped the other along yes he's slow and probably could have won more in the air but in the final stretch of the season having a few guys who've been there before will help the youngsters along.

Edited by GlossopLatic

90% of all posts on here defy believe. I thought every aspect of his game was very poor:

-slow

-lack of effort

-complaining when only had himself to blame

His goal was very straight forward and anyone in the squad would have put it in. Smith provides much more in the air and challenges for everything. Saying that, I'd like to see us play a lot more on the deck than going direct to Smith. Baxter, Furman and Simpson are evidently good players. Croft is looking sharper every week and Obita also looks promising. Lets get the ball out wide and then fire it into Smith!

I thought he was lacking match fitness but he gave us a great deal when going forward

He brought the ball down superbly at times, won plenty of headers and was a general pain in the backside for Dons

He linked up well on the ground with Barnard both wingers and Baxter which Smith just cant do yet

He tired 2nd half and maybe should have come off and he did seem to stop jumping for headers

2 things stood out for me, he never stopped talking to players all over the pitch including Tarky in the first half when things could have been done better and for his goal he was in the right place at the right time as someone like Smith would not have been running to the front post where the ball dropped

having said that his finish wjhen through on goal was shocking and he should have at least hit the target.

Good signing for us I thing and could be a great EXPERIENCED foil for those younger kids around him

Smith should be taking note of him in games and training.

Did you watch the game? Not all about winning every header it's about instances like talking two out of the game time and again and allowing others space proper #9 performance

Comments for OP I :censored:ing despair at our crowd sometimes....

Edited by oafcprozac

Did you watch the game? Not all about winning every header it's about instances like talking two out of the game time and again and allowing others space proper #9 performance

Comments for OP I :censored:ing despair at our crowd sometimes....

What did he do right other than the tap in goal?

He made about 10% of passes.

Very rarely got headers to his own team.

Complained about everything and ambled about a lot.

Missed a couple of good chances.

Any lump can stand up there and go for headers but his touch was non-existent. Yes he was a nuisance to their defence and was decent at holding the ball up but I think the movement by the players around him i.e. Baxter, Wes' getting forward, Barnard, Obita and Croft really made his life a lot easier.

It was far harder for Smith when he had Dickov in charge because the tactics were different, more defensive and the personnel was of less quality and so was their movement.

I appreciate this experience he will bring and 'presence around the changing room' but on the pitch I thought he was carried a bit by his teammates.

Opinions though, isn't it. Just glad we got the win and tried to be balanced because it's vital to be positive. In situations like this that is the most important thing.

Edited by NewBlue

What did he do right other than the tap in goal?

He made about 10% of passes.

Very rarely got headers to his own team.

Complained about everything and ambled about a lot.

Missed a couple of good chances.

Any lump can stand up there and go for headers but his touch was non-existent. Yes he was a nuisance to their defence and was decent at holding the ball up but I think the movement by the players around him i.e. Baxter, Wes' getting forward, Barnard, Obita and Croft really made his life a lot easier.

It was far harder for Smith when he had Dickov in charge because the tactics were different, more defensive and the personnel was of less quality and so was their movement.

I appreciate this experience he will bring and 'presence around the changing room' but on the pitch I thought he was carried a bit by his teammates.

Opinions though, isn't it. Just glad we got the win and tried to be balanced because it's vital to be positive. In situations like this that is the most important thing.

Your right it is opinions. But your wrong. He had a decent Game and will get better.

Edited by welshgaz

My mate supports Burnley and says he's "the worst striker hes ever seen." Good as cover but as soon as we're safe I'd send him back

if we had a 30 goal stiker like they do and if we were a chamionship club then maybe we would use him as cover

as we are/have neither of those things he is a good signing and he did a lot of good things today, he is not going to be a wrold beater, thats why he signed for us

But if you think that Smith holds the ball up as well as he does and can link the play like he did at times today then you hve another thing coming

Smith now seems to have a reputation built of one game, Funny as for several weeks leading up to that he was getting irionic cheers for hitting the net in the warm up.

I ilke Smith and he will improve but Iwelumo at the moment is by far the better of the 2, and he will also get better with games

I really dont know what some expect from a player who has dropped a level to play football.

He scored in a win on his home debut.

Edited by palmer1

I wonder what games our fans watch sometimes. He was very good today. More mobile tHan smith despite being 35 and with shot to :censored: knees, had a couple of chances. Led the line well and linked well with Bernard and croft. Smith bullied Coates in the air but he doesn't have a lot else to his game. He has improved in recent weeks but I can't believe people r slating CI after today's performance. B

Edited by bluehobbit

Oh dear.

We discussed Big Chrid's performance in the Range afterwards and words like 'immense' were being banded around, not unjustly eithet IMO.

He didn jump much, but actually watch the game. He didnt need to. He used all his experience and manouvered the defenders all over the show; to mean he didnt need to jump. He still won most of the aerial stuff without leaving the deck. Its called experience, strength; power, reading the game and an appreciation of what is going on around him.

How people cam say they'd prefer Matt Smith is beyond me. Smith's :censored:e. He's been much improved this last 2 months or so; but he's still a clogger. He hasnt grasped that, for all his size, he doesnt have to bang and barge his way around the field. He got lucky with the Liverpool game and it was right place; right time. But. If Smith seriously wants to have a serious career in the game as a 'big man' upfront, just watch that 90mins from Iwelumo. That's how you play the role. And TBH, anyone saying otherwise i'll lose all respect for.

Unfit? Didnt matter. He caused allsorts of problems for them, held it well, linked superbly and scored a goal at a vital time.

But yeah, whatever. He's :censored:. Bring back Matt Smith.....

Thought he played really well - held up the ball well, and Barnard was clever enough to play off him. He was very vocal, something we've been missing all season. Was in the right place for his goal. Well done done Chris, welcome to BP :-)

Anyone moaning at Iwelumo today........................... get a grip of yourselves.

We have spent months winning :censored: all and some of you dont say a peep.

We win 3-1, the lad scores and people still :censored:ing moan!

???

Its all about opinions Lancy, views are pretty mixed on Chris, as the post suggests its just our thoughts.

I sit with a good bunch of lads, out of the 9 of us, 6 thought he was pretty poor, lets see what happens.

Me, I thought he was poor, although I'm not moaning, then again, I said PD should have gone 18 months ago, only to be shot down....

Good win today, made them look ordinary,

Oh dear.

We discussed Big Chrid's performance in the Range afterwards and words like 'immense' were being banded around, not unjustly eithet IMO.

He didn jump much, but actually watch the game. He didnt need to. He used all his experience and manouvered the defenders all over the show; to mean he didnt need to jump. He still won most of the aerial stuff without leaving the deck. Its called experience, strength; power, reading the game and an appreciation of what is going on around him.

How people cam say they'd prefer Matt Smith is beyond me. Smith's :censored:e. He's been much improved this last 2 months or so; but he's still a clogger. He hasnt grasped that, for all his size, he doesnt have to bang and barge his way around the field. He got lucky with the Liverpool game and it was right place; right time. But. If Smith seriously wants to have a serious career in the game as a 'big man' upfront, just watch that 90mins from Iwelumo. That's how you play the role. And TBH, anyone saying otherwise i'll lose all respect for.

Unfit? Didnt matter. He caused allsorts of problems for them, held it well, linked superbly and scored a goal at a vital time.

But yeah, whatever. He's :censored:. Bring back Matt Smith.....

Couldnt agree more! I know its all opinions and a lot of :censored: gets spouted but the negativity towards Iwelumo today has really surprised me. Especially as he got a goal too.