Philliskirk

We seem to be caught in a vicious circle. The first team underperforms, so immediate results are needed. The youths can't be expected to settle in immediately and perform better than the first team, so the manager (under pressure for short term results) turns to the loan market. Which means the youths don't get the chance to impress, which in turn means they don't improve by getting competitive football.

The solution? I don't know. But two things that might help: more loans out (even at non-league level; if League Two or Conference Premier clubs aren't interested, we can't force them to be), and at the start of the season planning for certain youth players to be regulars from the bench or to be broken into the first team. That might help give them a chance to settle in without the pressure for immediate "save us from relegation" results.

Trust me Winchester might be lightweight ....nervy never in million years.....confident in his ability but not able to prove himself due to lack of opportunities!

how often does he show it then?? he look nervous as hell at times to me and his habbit of holding onto the ball for far to long has cost us more than once. He did well against liverpool even without the assist for the winner but he needs to show that same drive and work ethic more often. Hes a player that drifts in and out of games...

No footballer at any level senior or youth if they are not playing regular football will come and haunt anyone or any team....they need regular run outs to improve otherwise it really is pointless neutering them for 2 to 4 years.

That does explain a lot of the less than macho performances.

It does explain why we have felt some of the players have needed to grow a pair....

snapback.pngbluesue, on 13 February 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

No footballer at any level senior or youth if they are not playing regular football will come and haunt anyone or any team....they need regular run outs to improve otherwise it really is pointless neutering them for 2 to 4 years.

That does explain a lot of the less than macho performances.

It does explain why we have felt some of the players have needed to grow a pair....

I'm glad they didn't neuter those yard dogs Milligan and Henry.

how often does he show it then?? he look nervous as hell at times to me and his habbit of holding onto the ball for far to long has cost us more than once. He did well against liverpool even without the assist for the winner but he needs to show that same drive and work ethic more often. Hes a player that drifts in and out of games...

How often has he had the chance, he needs to get the chance to get on the sodding pitch to prove himself - loanees in and out for the past few years stops their progress end of.

The Inbetweeners as I call them and we have at least four players who could step up the mark if given the run outs...arebfed up of seeing theirmplaces taken by loanees, it quite obvious that no one in any profession improves without practice.....no amount of training makes up for match practice....

So let continue to bring them through, sit them on the bench and then release them.......fantastic set up....in the mean time lets give all the other teams youngsters a run out so they can dump us at the first opportunity and make even more money for their clubs!

The wholes set up needs re looking at and we need to bring through a team of OLDHAM players not loanees. sorry sound on my soap box but this subject I am very passionate about.

snapback.pngbluesue, on 13 February 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

I'm glad they didn't neuter those yard dogs Milligan and Henry.

. Ha ha sorry cant smell sorry spell!

Mike Keegan reports in the MEN that Corney said:

“I have been very impressed with what Tony and some of the senior players have done.

“I would not rule anything in or out and things can change quickly in football but we will see what happens.”

http://www.mancheste...-oldham-1318031

Stated again in a piece in The Times today. Working his bollocks off looking after first team, reserves and yoofs. He is going watching uoofs v dogdale in Salford tomorrow morning. Good job it is a 6 o'clock kick off for the main event.