Rumour about dowie

Not just sky its the going rate trust me ive seen the figures some earn just for a one off appearence as a match analyst on a tv game it wouldnt surprise me in the least if dowie takes home twice what we can offer him. And aslong as your atleast semi articulate which dowie is compared to alot of people in football its fairly secure. Doesnt mean its not worth atleast asking him though

He said that figure then laughed and said Dickov was on considerably higher wages than that. £100k a year would still be within our budget I imagine.

However, Dowie is used quite frequently on SkySports, not just for Soccer Saturday, either. He's a pundit throughout the week and analyses big games, too. He'll still be on way more than we're willing to offer him though.

This would suggest that Dowie is on well over £100k a year for 2 or 3 days on Sky, a bit of Talksport, and the odd bit of media work elsewhere. Good work if you can get it.

I remember Andy Ritchie being asked on the radio what he was doing after he was sacked at Huddersfield. He said he was a media whore! I know what he meant now!!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot about that fantastic feat.

But we do conveniently forget other failures.

Grayson is a better manager IMO.

Dowie failed at Charlton in the Premier League

Was sacked by Coventry with them outside the drop zone but in trouble in Championship, at the same time as they narrowly avoided going into administration.

Had QPR 9th in the Championship, having won 8/15 games but then sacked. Presumably because the owners wanted promotion which took another 2 seasons to achieve

Failed to keep a doomed Hull in the Premier League

Was connected with Newcastle the year they were relegated.

He's not managed at a level below the Championship since leaving us and his record is indifferent. Grayson hasn't managed in the PL but has a very good record at this level with 3 promotions on his CV but has struggled in the Championship. For the same money I'd probably take Dowie but I can see the logic in preferring Grayson.

It is quite unlikely that they want the same money though and the cheaper one is quite likely to be the better value for money.

If Dowie wasn't in the frame then he (or his son) would have publicly distanced ID from the job by now.

He wouldn't want to be tagged as being second best to the likes of Sammy Lee and losing out to him for the job.

Also SC and ID talk regularly so wouldn't you think they both mutually know what one is offering and what the other wants in terms of salary?

Finally he's wearing a French blue tie on Sky tonight...need I say more?!

Roll on Thursday/Friday.....still think though he'll be announced after the Everton game.

Based on what do you think he'll be announced on Thursday/Friday?

Hasnt Corney said he didnt think Grayson was interested?

If thats true then its not Grayson, he will be looking for a "bigger" club

If Dowie is looking for a project then you dont get better than us to test your self and as someone has already said, if it wasnt Dowie he would have distanced himself a long time before now.

Dowie will be announced later in the week I think, probably Friday and will have a watching brief with plenty of interviews for ITV before the big game

That by the end of this week he will have fulfilled his short term commitments to Sky so as not to be in breach of contract?

Fair enough. You must know about Dowie's Sky contract and what we have offered. I assume you have bet your mortgage on it?

There is no way he will be announced 1 day before the Biggest game in decades.

It will be too disruptive.

I am a tad surprised, as someone as ambitious as Dowie would relish that chance, and it be sorted out early this week.

But I think TP deserves the honour of leading out the team.

And an announcement next week.

Though if TP wins, and a convincing performance, it might all be put on hold. Again!

Corney mentioned 60k a year as the ballpark figure on Talksport last week.

He said "For one thing, I cannot see him (Scholes) wanting to go from earning £60,000-a-week at Manchester United to £600-a-week at Oldham!"

£600 x 52 = £31,200 a year. If that's all they're paying, it's no wonder only iamjonesyyoafc has been interviewed.

Based on what do you think he'll be announced on Thursday/Friday?

I said after the Everton game in my post.

If he wasn't being considered or talks had broken down then Dowie would have announced something by now....purely to distance himself from the post. Also funny that nobody has mentioned the Latics post to Dowie when's he been interviewed or hes been asked about it on TV when he's doing his punditry.....unless its off limits.

He's in regular contact with SC - SC has stated that in the press - but that's the first time that has ever been mentioned and only after PD left. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out why the regular contact....just means SC's been planning on recruiting one for a while now.

Those apparently 'in the know' have said as much too and recommended people should lump on ID being next manager.

There is no way he will be announced 1 day before the Biggest game in decades.

It will be too disruptive.

I am a tad surprised, as someone as ambitious as Dowie would relish that chance, and it be sorted out early this week.

But I think TP deserves the honour of leading out the team.

And an announcement next week.

Though if TP wins, and a convincing performance, it might all be put on hold. Again!

This what i been thinking about the last few days.

As much as Dowie is getting paid well, it's not being paid as a manager. It sound like from his son that he wants to get back into management but he might end up pricing himself out of doing so if he compares salaries.

Though I'd expect that he might want to be backed with some funds for players if we stay up .

As much as Dowie is getting paid well, it's not being paid as a manager. It sound like from his son that he wants to get back into management but he might end up pricing himself out of doing so if he compares salaries.

Though I'd expect that he might want to be backed with some funds for players if we stay up .

I suspect it won't be salary that makes or break the deal alone. It'll be (as you say) the funds available to him, and the length of deal offered. He might see the chance of a few months and no room to reshape the squad as a poisoned chalice more likely to harm his reputation.

You say we wouldnt announce a manager coming in just before the Everton game but does that mean we can before the Stevenage game nextTuesday which I would say is bigger

Enjoy the cup but for dont lose our league status

The Dowie one is weird, Corney said all the people who wanted the job applied we didnt go to talk anyone into applying so on that basis Dowie must know and be willing to take the pay drop id suggest

He is the best in the running imo but we shouldnt break the bank. Grayson will not happen on our budget and he will get another job elsewhere probably in the summer

Thursday and the news should be bigger than Saturday if goes well for the club in the long run fingers crossed

I cant wait until we appoint a manager so we dont have so many of these threads (nothing against the writer of the OP)

Is there definitely an announcement planned tomorrow? I know Jack Dearden inferred something on radio but was that just his opinion or a source? Funny that Chron or MEN haven't said similar.

BBC Manchester have their mind made up its Dowie. Gone quiet with Matt Chambers and Mike Keegan..even Ian Cheeseman.

I've heard it's definitely Dowie and that we've in dialogue for a while but that was from same person who said Scholes had been approached to get involved with the club. He's normally reliable as he's in the game himself and has loads of contacts. Admittedly it's more Prem but keeps an ear and eye out for OAFC rumours for me.

I suspect it won't be salary that makes or break the deal alone. It'll be (as you say) the funds available to him, and the length of deal offered. He might see the chance of a few months and no room to reshape the squad as a poisoned chalice more likely to harm his reputation.

I think this is right. We'll be seen by Dowie as something of a stepping stone back into management. That's fine by me, if it means he's driven to bring success in order to move back up to the big time himself. Why would he take a deal to the end of the season, when he clearly gets paid a lot more at Sky? I'd structure a offer so that, if he keeps us up, he automatically earns a two-year-deal. He must be confident he can do that.