Sharp exit from BP and culture shock for Toffees

Cheers for the link Diego. I always feel as though I'm one of the very few Latics fans who just remember Sharp as a top player. One of the first Latics players to catch my imagination and become forever idolised. Probably because he scored a load in that first season, which was the first year my dad took me every week. I remember his years as manager more vividly but the admiration I'd developed for him as a player overrode what I may or may not have thought of him as manager - I was too young to care about the manager and running of the club. One day soon, I hope for another player in a Latics shirt to match Sharp in my estimations. There haven't been many in the last 20-odd years.

Cheers for the link Diego. I always feel as though I'm one of the very few Latics fans who just remember Sharp as a top player. One of the first Latics players to catch my imagination and become forever idolised. Probably because he scored a load in that first season, which was the first year my dad took me every week. I remember his years as manager more vividly but the admiration I'd developed for him as a player overrode what I may or may not have thought of him as manager - I was too young to care about the manager and running of the club. One day soon, I hope for another player in a Latics shirt to match Sharp in my estimations. There haven't been many in the last 20-odd years.

Agree with you. That first season here he was absolutely quality. You could see his class and he led the line superbly. He scored some great goals too. I used to hold him partly culpable for our plunge into League One (and subsequent mediocrity) but in fairness he was probably let down in management by (as he says) a crap board, ageing players and no budget.

there's nothing wrong with his meteorology:

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Oldham-weather-averages/Greater-Manchester/GB.aspx

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=67035

As the clouds reach the hills the begin to rise, get colder and the moisture comes out. Not much a secret that the Lancashire riviera is a bit drier than over in the East; many happy and sunny childhood days spent in Southport.

there's nothing wrong with his meteorology:

http://www.worldweat...chester/GB.aspx

http://www.weatherzo...t=site&lc=67035

As the clouds reach the hills the begin to rise, get colder and the moisture comes out. Not much a secret that the Lancashire riviera is a bit drier than over in the East; many happy and sunny childhood days spent in Southport.

Did you ever see the sea?

Wank manager but he was top quality as a player. One of the best headers of a ball I have ever seen.

Read his autobiography lads! I agree with him being a top player for us, certainly until his injury 18 months in.

Yes I vilified his management spell at times we were very good at home but very few instances away from BP maybe Wolves '95, Bradford '96 and maybe Grimsby Boxing Day '94. We were mostly dreadful away

Have to say though felt a bit sorry for him after reading his autobiography but he did come across a bit of a whinger

Edited by oafcprozac

The thing tht sticks mot in my mind about him was his ability to holdup the ball. Sometimes it was as if he slowed time ala The Matrix while players got into position. Brilliant. Shame he tarnished his rep by cocking things up as manager.

Got to say, I don't remember him being that popular as a player with the fans at the time - generally remember him being accused of being quite lazy. Had his moments (e.g. four goals in a game against Luton in that first season in the top flight, free kick against Arsenal) but I'll mainly remember him for missing an open goal in extra-time at Wembley in '94 when we were one up and almost hitting the corner flag with a penalty at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon, in front of a gate of about 2,000.

Got to say, I don't remember him being that popular as a player with the fans at the time - generally remember him being accused of being quite lazy. Had his moments (e.g. four goals in a game against Luton in that first season in the top flight, free kick against Arsenal) but I'll mainly remember him for missing an open goal in extra-time at Wembley in '94 when we were one up and almost hitting the corner flag with a penalty at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon, in front of a gate of about 2,000.

Sounds much more like the :censored: I remember too. His ship had sailed when he came to us, he was just floating around the docks for a couple of years waiting to be hoisted out of the water

Best Sharp memory was him heading the winner against Villa 91/2 I think, following a cross from Neil McDonald. Great leap and finish. Remember him being substituted at Tranmere away cup replay too - the start of his "bad back" era. Really disappointed when he became manager, wanted Stitch instead. Maybe the end result would have been no different, but would have at least felt that the man at the helm actually cared about the club. I blame Royle for that appointment - think the Everton connection came through there.

“The first year I was there was really good, I was the top scorer with 15 league goals, but in the second season I had a few problems with my back, and then we were relegated.

Does this read to anyone else as if he thinks that we spent 2 seasons with him in the top division?

His penalty miss against Leeds the season went down has always pissed me off... Worst penalty I've seen - on a par with Southgates against Germany. If I remember rightly we drew that game 1-1 (I was only 10 so forgive me if I'm wrong) but always wonder what those 2 extra points would have meant for us. Never wanted to be at Oldham and thought he was better than he was