With yesterdays barnstorming finish where we were clearly on top for the last 20-25 minutes against a team in the top 6 or 7 in the premiership, the players fitness was clearly right up there.

Earlier in the season there were a lot of questions being asked as to why we were conceeding so many late goals and fitness was clearly an issue and playing a part in that.

These things don't change over night, but I think that the change in regime over the last 6 or 7 weeks has seen a gradual impact on the players fitness resulting in strong finishes in the last 2 games against MK & Everton.

Add to that the fact that we are now utilising a bigger squad (and TP using his subs to good effect) and players who were carrying little niggles are now being allowed to rest them properly should help us through the remainder of the season where it matters in the league.

The best example of the new regime having an impact is with Crofty. He came in the sponsors suite after the MK game for the usaul presentations and he just looks so much fitter, probably 1 good stone lighter. Not that I think he was unfit previously, just that he has been "educated" differenlty these last few weeks.

Beacause of the cup run we are going to have a run of Sat/Tues/Sat/Tues games and it is inevitable that changes will have to be made to the team to keep them fresh through those games. The good news is that we now have not only the quality of players but the quantity to do that as and when TP sees fit.

With yesterdays barnstorming finish where we were clearly on top for the last 20-25 minutes against a team in the top 6 or 7 in the premiership, the players fitness was clearly right up there.

Earlier in the season there were a lot of questions being asked as to why we were conceeding so many late goals and fitness was clearly an issue and playing a part in that.

These things don't change over night, but I think that the change in regime over the last 6 or 7 weeks has seen a gradual impact on the players fitness resulting in strong finishes in the last 2 games against MK & Everton.

Add to that the fact that we are now utilising a bigger squad (and TP using his subs to good effect) and players who were carrying little niggles are now being allowed to rest them properly should help us through the remainder of the season where it matters in the league.

The best example of the new regime having an impact is with Crofty. He came in the sponsors suite after the MK game for the usaul presentations and he just looks so much fitter, probably 1 good stone lighter. Not that I think he was unfit previously, just that he has been "educated" differenlty these last few weeks.

Beacause of the cup run we are going to have a run of Sat/Tues/Sat/Tues games and it is inevitable that changes will have to be made to the team to keep them fresh through those games. The good news is that we now have not only the quality of players but the quantity to do that as and when TP sees fit.

Great post Harry.

"Crofty" has lost :censored: loads of weight and is far more mobile because of it.

I just hope the matches against higher league opposition doesn't take focus from what needs to be done............... lets face it, performances like we have had Vs Liverpool and Everton should result in a comfortable victory away at Stevenage???

I'm not 100% sure the players have it in their locker, I hope I am wrong!

Good post Harry, your fingers must be very fit though to type all that, mine would be aching by the 4th paragraph. :)

...I just hope the matches against higher league opposition doesn't take focus from what needs to be done............... lets face it, performances like we have had Vs Liverpool and Everton should result in a comfortable victory away at Stevenage???

I'm not 100% sure the players have it in their locker, I hope I am wrong!

The jury is still out and it will be watching very closely tomorrow night.

Call my a cynic but he's out of contract this season and will want a new contract, maybe he realises that he has to make a big effort.

Surely this was the case prior to his release by Derby?

His Derby contract was expiring so he had to make an impression on loan. Now he has to make an impression here to get either an extension or a deal elsewhere.

The jury is still out and it will be watching very closely tomorrow night.

Agree.

TP (and MP, PG & JG) gets them suitabley up fr Stevenage and he can have the job till end of season for me, and we will ahve the best chance of keeping up

It was palpable that the players were listensing and following instructions.

A wild guess but bet he can both run faster, longer and jump higher than you. Bit unfair Blue he wasnt great but thats why hes available.

Just sayin' he needs to loose some pounds.

After sitting on the sidelines at Watford for so long with no prospect of a 1st team game this is like the start of a new season for him

ATM though I reckon I could out-jump him :)

Edited by laticsrblue

Crofty and other players fitness has improved greatly since Jan. You can see in the last 20 mins of games how they continue to chase down the ball after they lose it. They even have there heads up to pass the ball in the last 10 mins instead of wayward passing due to tiredness.

I wonder what Paul Butler is doing now???? Would you like a hand with your packing??? :clint:

My worry is that with all these extra games caused by the cup run, by the time we get to the important end of season games where our league status is on the line, we could run out of steam.

Special days like Saturday don't come around too often though, and I'd much rather be jn the cup than out of it. Fingers crossed we will be alright.

Friday's Chron says Crofty has lost 7 kilos (15.4 lbs).

“I am really enjoying my football at the moment,” admitted Croft, who has been put on a new fitness regime by Tony Philliskirk’s current right-hand man Paul Gerrard. “I feel good and I feel fit. Things are going well for me and it has coincided with the team doing well, which helps. I am trying to give myself every chance. Hopefully, it is showing on the pitch.”

http://www.oldham-ch...ter-weight-loss

Friday's Chron says Crofty has lost 7 kilos (15.4 lbs).

“I am really enjoying my football at the moment,” admitted Croft, who has been put on a new fitness regime by Tony Philliskirk’s current right-hand man Paul Gerrard. “I feel good and I feel fit. Things are going well for me and it has coincided with the team doing well, which helps. I am trying to give myself every chance. Hopefully, it is showing on the pitch.”

http://www.oldham-ch...ter-weight-loss

So Croft looses nearly a stone after our fitness expert gets his P45.

Ladies and Gentlemen, soon to be working at a fitness first near you Paul "I've got my own clipboards" Butler.

In the Chron, after losing to ManUre, Moyes expressed his concern that there were signs of weariness detected in some of his key players. I thought that was plain to see in the closing stages of the game on Saturday.

And faded badly against Norwich, they are also hopeless in the air from crosses.