Today's game

I love games like today, proper blood and thunder - have you on the edge of your seat until the whistle and at times we really had to dig in. I thought we could have pushed forward a little more and for a good chunk we were reluctant to overlap, when we did we looked a good side. CM a bit too deep at times, but defensively we were excellent, probably should have won by a wider margin and Sodje's red card has to be one of the biggest brain farts I've seen in quite some time! Most satisfyingly was our first clean sheet in 15 games and only 7th in League and Cup all season.

Dean Bouzanis - One comedy moment in the first half when he slipped when throwing, his kicking was mostly good today only a couple of wayward ones and claimed (mostly) everything. 7

Connor Brown - How much did Dickov destroy this kid's confidence? He looked lost at Walsall, yet ever since he has been superb, pushes on and gives Crofty the insurance to attack time and again 7

JYM - Absolutely immense again, he was just as good in midweek. And that run from his own half almost went down in Latics folklore! 'Shoot yer big dozy pillock!' Won everything in the air and most of it on the deck too 9 MOM

Tarky - Another very assured performance, another one who improves week after week now that proper faith is being shown in him 8

Grounds - Caught out a couple of times, but good going forward, final ball was lacking at times but another good afternoon 7

Crofty - Worked his arse off again, final ball lacking at times but a great outlet and has found his pace after losing the weight. Encouraging to see him still going at it late on. 7

Furman - Upo and down afternoon, too deep in the first half, bit better in second half. But prefer Wes' pro-activity 6

Baxter - Worried when he retaliated to Sodge's dig, got away with it and ran the show. Fortunate with his goal, but hey if you don't buy a ticket…. Looking more and more at home in Centre-Midfield 8

Obita - Stayed too deep at times when there was acres to run in, needs to work on his decision making and be aware of where Grounds is. Almost scored a fabulous overhead kick 7

Iwelumo - I thought he was poor, moves only when he feels like it the ball simply doesn't stick with him which is a concern. We looked better again when Smith came on and the ball stuck a bit more. 5

Barnard - Not his best afternoon, but he'll run all day. Sights of goal were few and far between but at times we didn't support the strikers enough and he was often isolated, particularly wide, we need to get more crosses in as our final ball today was distinctly average. 6

Subs:

Smith - The ball began to stick a bit more, if he'd been sharper he could have nicked a goal 6

Byrne - Brought on to see the game out 6

Simpson - Should have done better when he played a one two, when he probably should have had a dig. 5

All in all a massive win and clear daylight with a game in hand between us and Colchester. The fact it's the first time we've won 3 on the trot in the league since October/November 2010 is pretty telling. Great to see probably between 700/1000 more fans than probably would have bothered for this a month ago. Of course Everton tickets are a factor but people will watch a winning team. The games are coming thick and fast now, and we can go and enjoy Goodison now with nothing to lose with the knowledge we have taken 9 out of 9 in the league! Well done TP and the staff for instilling belief into the players.

Edited by oafcprozac

I was a bit disappointed, once we were one up and they had a man sent off they dominated for fifteen minutes or so, after that it was all Latics and we ought to have created more than we did, don't know why we struggle to put ten men away. Nevertheless three points, though against he bottom of the league at home against ten men we ought to have done better.

On the bright side another in, onwards and upwards, well one lads.

I love games like today, proper blood and thunder - have you on the edge of your seat until the whistle and at times we really had to dig in. I thought we could have pushed forward a little more and for a good chunk we were reluctant to overlap, when we did we looked a good side. CM a bit too deep at times, but defensively we were excellent, probably should have won by a wider margin and Sodje's red card has to be one of the biggest brain farts I've seen in quite some time! Most satisfyingly was our first clean sheet in 15 games and only 7th in League and Cup all season.

Dean Bouzanis - One comedy moment in the first half when he slipped when throwing, his kicking was mostly good today only a couple of wayward ones and claimed (mostly) everything. 7

Connor Brown - How much did Dickov destroy this kid's confidence? He looked lost at Walsall, yet ever since he has been superb, pushes on and gives Crofty the insurance to attack time and again 7

JYM - Absolutely immense again, he was just as good in midweek. And that run from his own half almost went down in Latics folklore! 'Shoot yer big dozy pillock!' Won everything in the air and most of it on the deck too 9 MOM

Tarky - Another very assured performance, another one who improves week after week now that proper faith is being shown in him 8

Grounds - Caught out a couple of tikes, but good going forward, final ball was lacking at times but another good afternoon 7

Crofty - Worked his arse off again, final ball lacking at times but a great outlet and has found his pace after losing the weight. Encouraging to see him still going at it late on.

Furman - Upo and down afternoon, too deep in the first half, bit better in second half. But prefer Wes' pro-activity 6

Baxter - Worried when he retaliated to Sodge's dig, got away with it and ran the show. Fortunate with his goal, but hey if you don't buy a ticket…. Looking more and more at home in Centre-Midfield 8

Obita - Stayed too deep at times when there was acres to run in, needs to work on his decision making and be aware of where Grounds is. Almost scored a fabulous overhead kick 7

Iwelumo - I thought he was poor, moves only when he feels like it the ball simply doesn't stick with him which is a concern. We looked better again when Smith came on and the ball stuck a bit more. 5

Barnard - Not his best afternoon, but he'll run all day. Sights of goal were few and far between but at times we didn't support the strikers enough and he was often isolated, particularly wide, we need to get more crosses in as our final ball today was distinctly average. 6

Subs:

Smith - The ball began to stick a bit more, if he'd been sharper he could have nicked a goal 6

Byrne - Brought on to see the game out 6

Simpson - Should have done better when he played a one two, when he probably should have had a dig. 5

All in all a massive win and clear daylight with a game in hand between us and Colchester. The fact it's the first time we've won 3 on the trot in the league since October/November 2010 is pretty telling. Great to see probably between 700/1000 more fans than probably would have bothered for this a month ago. Of course Everton tickets are a factor but people will watch a winning team. The games are coming thick and fast now, and we can go and enjoy Goodison now with nothing to lose with the knowledge we have taken 9 out of 9 in the league! Well done TP and the staff for instilling belief into the players.

You forgot Crofty's mark out of 10 ;)

*taps fingers waiting to update spreadsheet*

Good assesment Prozac.

Couldn't make our game with the dons, so my first league game since Dickov left.

Dear me, how refreshing to see us on the front foot. TRYING TO WIN A GAME, instead of the don't lose mentality. TP said in his pre match interveiw, ' i could have had a dvd on the oppposition or a scouting report but haven't because it's about what we do!!!!!!!!!! Halleluah.

There were mistakes today, but the tempo was good for 90 mins, we tried to play some neat football. Baxter took his goal well. We didn't sit in our own half after 30 mins and get deeper and deeper. The subs made sense and made an impact. We suddenly look like we have a squad- instead a brittle first eleven who play week in week out no matter what the result!

With every passing result, (with exactly the same squad) it makes dickov's record look more and more awful.

Which it was.

Can't agree that Furman was that good today (and I normally rate him). His short passing was poor , giving away possession on several occasions. He redeemed himself to some extent with a couple of excellent chase backs and tackles in the second half. Giving the ball away is something that has plagued us this season .

Iwelumo I thought had a decent game. Sat at the RRE I saw more of him in the first half and he won lots of headers, held the ball well, and was constantly vocal to those around him. I hope he's not become a target already....

Good assesment Prozac.

Couldn't make our game with the dons, so my first league game since Dickov left.

Dear me, how refreshing to see us on the front foot. TRYING TO WIN A GAME, instead of the don't lose mentality. TP said in his pre match interveiw, ' i could have had a dvd on the oppposition or a scouting report but haven't because it's about what we do!!!!!!!!!! Halleluah.

There were mistakes today, but the tempo was good for 90 mins, we tried to play some neat football. Baxter took his goal well. We didn't sit in our own half after 30 mins and get deeper and deeper. The subs made sense and made an impact. We suddenly look like we have a squad- instead a brittle first eleven who play week in week out no matter what the result!

With every passing result, (with exactly the same squad) it makes dickov's record look more and more awful.

Which it was.

We do have a squad...and fair play to PD it was he who brought most of them in, reinforcing the players right until just before he left.

Edited by LaticsPete

I thought Baxter was disappointing yesterday, how many poor passes he made were intercepted? He is by far the best player at the club and id play him at centre back if i had to but i dont think he is anywhere near as effective when playing in centre midfield as oppose to just behind the striker. On a separate note i thought Tarkowski was fantastic yet again, i thought the worst when I saw him back in the team against MK dons but I have been pleasantly surprised with the way he has played, keep it up.

Edited by 4froale

We won ugly when a number of our players, Baxter and Obita in particular, had their minds on something else. Baxter could easily have retaliated and been sent off but I felt he was in a don't get injured don't get booked or sent off mode. Obita pulled out of every tackle and then forgot himself and got booked. I was only worried about a late equaliser as I felt they would have scored again if needed. Great win and any scout watching that will wonder what the fuss is all about. They will see on Tuesday!

Edited by Hands on

on a side note, did people notice the difference in the colours of their shirts?

Yup, regardless of how or why the money troubles at that club are summed up by that. With all the cash in the game it is a disgrace that clubs such as ours have the money troubles that we do. The fa need to act to redistribute money rather than lining their own pockets.

Yep we weren't great, but we didn't need to be, yet we still hit the woodwork twice, forced a good save or two and JYM should have scored goal of the century. Under Dickov that would have been a month's worth of attacking entertainment.

A month ago we would have given our left bollock for a workmanlike win where we didn't get out of 2nd gear. Yesterday was exactly a month to the day since me and 79 other daft buggers saw us lose our 7th out of 8 league games at Meadow Lane.

A month later we have beaten Liverpool, forced Everton into submitting into a replay and taken 9 points from 12. Let's enjoy the win, any win when you are down at the wrong end of the league is a good win. As we've seen recently, things can change quickly - so let's enjoy what is currently happening…..1 defeat in 6 league and cup games and we've averaged 2 goals per game and provided a lot of entertainment. Something we've missed over the last couple of years.

Edited by oafcprozac

Agreed with everything except obita. Thought he had a bit of a stinker.

Same here Gaz. Thought Obita was poor in comparison to his recent performances, needs to up his game on Tuesday night.

And if I was picking my Man Of The Match it would be young Tarky who I thought was outstanding yesterday.

We do have a squad...and fair play to PD it was he who brought most of them in, reinforcing the players right until just before he left.

We've always had a good squad pete. That's my point. Dickov's record of intergrating the youth was dire, tarky, brown, mellor, winchester, smith? Didn't see them anywhere near the first team, apart from the odd sub appearance. Under Dickov it looked like we had 12 or 13 players. What did he have to lose by dropping the untouchables? To lose a few........? So refreshing to see 2 or 3 changes between games, keep people fresh and on their toes.

Thought iwelumo was very so-so, he'll be great for the run-in, very local, and supportive. Good in the dressing room i imagine. You can tell he's played at a higher level with how he reads the game and trys to bring people in, but his mobility is, er, not good. i would have it the other way round at the moment, in that, i'd play smith from the start and bring iwelumo on at the end to help us see games out. In short glad we've got him till end of season but after that, no thanks, Barnard on the other hand, is just class.

Yep we weren't great, but we didn't need to be, yet we still hit the woodwork twice, forced a good save or two and JYM should have scored goal of the century. Under Dickov that would have been a month's worth of attacking entertainment.

A month ago we would have given our left bollock for a workmanlike win where we didn't get out of 2nd gear. Yesterday was exactly a month to the day since me and 79 other daft buggers saw us lose our 7th out of 8 league games at Meadow Lane.

A month later we have beaten Liverpool, forced Everton into submitting into a replay and taken 9 points from 12. Let's enjoy the win, any win when you are down at the wrong end of the league is a good win. As we've seen recently, things can change quickly - so let's enjoy what is currently happening…..1 defeat in 6 league and cup games and we've averaged 2 goals per game and provided a lot of entertainment. Something we've missed over the last couple of years.

The entertainment line, i couldn't agree more, people picking the bones out of yesterday, fair enough. But that's the first time in a very, very long time that i've enjoyed a league game.