Just popped over .....

.......... to wish you good luck in the replay tomorrow!

Wouldn't have minded watching on tv, but we have a prior engagement at home to Notts County.

The question is though, win, lose or draw tomorrow, and assuming you don't get bogged down in the relegation scrap, which recent results suggest you won't, would you swap the eventful season you've had for a solid league campaign similar to Tranmere's? By the way, I'm basing our likely outcome on punching above our weight for the majority of the season, only to probably fall away when it matters (pessimism/realism borne out of years of disappointment :disappointed: )

My personal view is that as we will both more than likely be in the third division against next season, I am a bit envious of your cup run, and on balance, would have settled for indifferent league form and a magnificent cup run as an alternative.

So..... anyone wanna swap seasons?

Provided you don't go up, I'd take our season. If you do go up, I'd take our season provided we got to Wembley. Although we don't look like it at the moment by any stretch, a promotion push is a not too unrealistic shot each year. I don't see us getting to an FA Cup semi final from the third tier again.

Interesting question

If Tranmere finish in the play offs then I would say your season probably

If Tranmere go up then I would most certainly swap your season

If you don't go up or finish in the play offs and we stay up then I would prefer our season.

Interms of individual matches I have no doubt you will have had alot more good days over the course of this season than we have. However we have had 3 great days interms of the 8 mad minutes at the city ground, The game against liverpool and that last minute equaliser against Everton.

It will be interesting to see if we can build on this next season. The extra cash has paid of our losses for this season which is great and should pay off most of next seasons losses too (We should take over £1million from this FA cup run) What is hugely important though is that we stay up and secondly we get the go ahead for our new stand. If we do that then this could well be a turning point for us.

A question to yourself 24424 can Tranmere build on this season if you do or don't go up? or will you lose your better players and struggle to replace them?

Interesting question

If Tranmere finish in the play offs then I would say your season probably

If Tranmere go up then I would most certainly swap your season

If you don't go up or finish in the play offs and we stay up then I would prefer our season.

Interms of individual matches I have no doubt you will have had alot more good days over the course of this season than we have. However we have had 3 great days interms of the 8 mad minutes at the city ground, The game against liverpool and that last minute equaliser against Everton.

It will be interesting to see if we can build on this next season. The extra cash has paid of our losses for this season which is great and should pay off most of next seasons losses too (We should take over £1million from this FA cup run) What is hugely important though is that we stay up and secondly we get the go ahead for our new stand. If we do that then this could well be a turning point for us.

A question to yourself 24424 can Tranmere build on this season if you do or don't go up? or will you lose your better players and struggle to replace them?

If you don't go up, there's no contest for me:

• Forest and Everton were amazing.
  • Smith's goal v Everton was the greatest single moment I've had in football.
  • Liverpool at home was the best day I've had in football (I've seen us in the PL and at Wembley in '94)

An unsuccessful promotion push would be nice compared to our league form this season, but would never top those moments.

If you do get promoted however, then its a much tougher question and I'd be inclined to swap.

Knockout Football is partly the reason why Football has become so popular, in the League in recent season we've seen many non-event matches who are both playing out the season but in the cup the more you go on, the more exciting it gets. Ok winning the League is probably a better achievement as it's over 46 games but unless you at least get into the play-offs then you will spend most of the time watching non-events. On my way back home yesterday I happened to overhear some Leeds fans on my connection between Huddersfield and Sheffield and they were saying how depressing it was that Bradford had seen a major cup final and they hadn't in 17 years

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Perhaps if we did go up, there may be some initial impetus, although I fear for any team from our league to be competitive in the 2nd division these days requires resources that the likes of Tranmere or Oldham can only dream about really. I suspect any success would be short-term at best, as the economics of the situation could simply not sustain a prolonged stint in the higher division.

Assuming we don't go up, which is more realistic, it's hard to say. Given that for a number of years now, our chairman has wanted to sell (he's already retired to Switzerland) and insisted the club be run on a break-even basis year on year (notwithstanding the £6million we owe him on paper), we have one of the lowest, if not the lowest, budgets in the division. After 3 years of struggle after Ronnie Moore's previous sacking, his achievements after returning to Prenton Park have been remarkable, and it would be unfair to simply say he got lucky. I appreciate the man is not to most Oldham fans' tastes, for various reasons, but it can't be denied that he has had Rovers punching well above their weight this season. You can see it in his post-match interviews - he almost has to pinch himself to believe some of the results.

Realistically though, the law of averages suggests you can't assemble such a competitive squad every year, and I guess we would be pushing our luck to think that next season would again start so well.

So, to answer your question, and speaking like many a stoic lower division club supporter, my honest answer is I think better players may ultimately view this season as a shop window for themselves, and I think we may struggle to hit the heights again for a while.

Maybe it will be your turn?

I'm going to sound like an FA Cup kill joy here but i'd rather have gone out in round 1 and be flying in the league with a right good shot at promotion. The cup run has been great, and the extra income very handy, but it's a no brainer for me. League every time.

Edited by Break The Silence

i'm going to sound like an FA Cup kill joy here but i'd rather have gone out in round 1 and be flying in the league with a right good shot at promotion. The cup run has been great, and the extra income very handy, but it's a no brainer for me. League every time.

Saved me the effort, 100%agree.

To generate a buzz going into every weekend near the top of the pile, smelling promotion, all the excitement that comes with it. No brainer, league all the way.

The reason we buy season tickets is in the hope to do well in the league and see some good football. The FA cup is a sideshow, ok the more rounds you get through the bigger the buzz, beat a greedy league side, fantastic. I would rather be where you are in terms of league position, but that Everton atmosphere really was the best I have ever witnessed and that includes league champions and Wembley appearances. Difficult question, I just hope we can survive this season because i think we will storm the league next time!!!!!!!

I'm going to sound like an FA Cup kill joy here but i'd rather have gone out in round 1 and be flying in the league with a right good shot at promotion. The cup run has been great, and the extra income very handy, but it's a no brainer for me. League every time.

I'll join you - league over cup every time for me. My best seasons watching Oldham have been the 2 play off campaigns to try and get out of this division. The cup run is great - but I am sick of watching us struggle in the league. I also think league games can be even more exciting than the cup when you get towards the end of the season challenging for promotion.

i agree the league is more important than the cup but i would never swap this season for love nor money. its one thing having the excitement of it, but other people have already touched on that.

for me the far more important outcome of this cup run is the greater foundations it has given us going forward into next season. we have easily covered a seasons worth of losses, and a good result tommorow could cover going on for 2 seasons worth.

presuming tranmere stay down, which of our 2 clubs do you believe will have a greater chance of success next year? Tranmere, who have had a great deal of success in the league, but ultimately will lose their better players (purely what the tranmere fan said), have had minimal crowds all season, and a chairman looking to sell, or latics, who have just made a million plus on a cup run, and covered their losses for the season already (remember we made a packet off the cup last year as well)

personally think this season can be a real turning point for us, and provide the footings for a successful season next year with the money we have made, the feel good factor being about the place and with the new stand seemingly getting the go a head.

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of sounding like Diego, it wouldn't be your seat if you hadn't bought a season ticket :wink:.

In the words of Boney M:

Gonna take a trip to Oldham town

Gonna stay at same old hotel

A fool such as I that never learns

I cry a tear so well

Season ticket, season ticket

Season ticket, season ticket

Season ticket, season ticket to the Blues.