Matt Smith

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You only need to watch his movement, his flick on's and ball control to see how much he has come on since September. A run in the team since Derbyshire left has brought his game on massively. Those 4 goals against Everton/Liverpool werent flukes, no matter how much people may try and say they were.

We need to keep him, as I see him being a big part of our team, not just in moving away from the bottom 4 but in pushing on next year.

I hope he'll be offered a new deal too. One thing we should remember is that like players such as Iain Wright and Stuart Pearce he is a latecomer to league football. In terms of his progress as a professional footballer you could argue that he's around 3-4 years behind others in his age group, meaning he's effectively a 20 year old in just his 2nd season of football. Considering this I think he's progressing very well.

I'd like us to keep him as I think he'll always be useful if we play to his strengths, but from his point of view I can see this being his best chance of getting a move to the Championship, therefore picking up a substantially bigger wage. I think he'll make a career around League One and Two eventually and unlike Baxter his stock won't rise higher than this, so I wouldn't blame him if he goes.

You only need to watch his movement, his flick on's and ball control to see how much he has come on since September. A run in the team since Derbyshire left has brought his game on massively. Those 4 goals against Everton/Liverpool werent flukes, no matter how much people may try and say they were.

We need to keep him, as I see him being a big part of our team, not just in moving away from the bottom 4 but in pushing on next year.

To be fair, I think he has also kicked on since Feb 4th

The clubs attitude on Smith is one swallow doesnt make a summer, which I think frankly is bollocks and its this type of short sightedness that holds the club back.

The previous argument was that we don't improve players, smithy has come on leaps and bounds but will be allowed to walk for nowt come the summer. Release Simpson by all means, let Furman walk but we should be at least talking to Smith he gives us something 90% of all other teams in pro football don't have, it'd be criminal to let him leave for nothing!!!!

We should be building a team around Mvoto, Tarky and Smith IMO but I wouldn't be surprised to see none of them here next season, there's a lot if good feeling around the place lets FOR ONCE build on the momentum....

Instead we'll be on the merry go round again come the summer, you can only build momentum with tweaks here and there, not a complete overhaul every year, I know players moving on is the only time an agent makes his money BUT they are out players and we should be looking to tie down those that can move us FORWARD - whether the money is earmarked for other areas there should be enough to play with to keep M'Voto and Smith (should they want to stay)

We aren't far away from being a decent side Furman won't be a massive loss, neither will Simpson but most of the rest can take us forward and they're young enough to grow and mature as players together

Edited by oafcprozac

I would try and tie Furman down as well with 2 years or let him walk as next summer is the World Cup and should SA get there an he be in the squad he will be in the greatest shop window ever and will gain the club more exposure

Plus if Wes got injured which he has a history of then we would have to get loans in

Smith is madness, give him a deal. I dont know what Iwelumo is on here and if we are paying anything at all of his wages but I would be happy for him to walk and help use some of that money to secure Smith for a year with a option of 1 more. Simpson could play as a 2nd striker and gives us more than Iwelumo until the end of the season.

Echo what has been said above, you cant have a massive overhaul of players and then expect in August to hit the ground running.

Tie down the core and build around Tarky, JYM, Grounds, id give Brown 1 more year, Wes is here, Montano is here, get Crofty another year deal, Furman, smith. Tie down Murray and Byrne as player coaches again to help with numbers.

Let one of the keepers go, probably Cisak, bomb Simmo out in the summer, Baxter I expect will be sold to a championship club and go with our blessing but say 4-5 leave we could get 4 or 5 more and 2 of those listed played less than 15 games each anyway

Edited by laticdickovarmy

The clubs attitude on Smith is one swallow doesnt make a summer, which I think frankly is bollocks and its this type of short sightedness that holds the club back.

The previous argument was that we don't improve players, smithy has come on leaps and bounds but will be allowed to walk for nowt come the summer. Release Simpson by all means, let Furman walk but we should be at least talking to Smith he gives us something 90% of all other teams in pro football don't have, it'd be criminal to let him leave for nothing!!!!

We should be building a team around Mvoto, Tarky and Smith IMO but I wouldn't be surprised to see none of them here next season, there's a lot if good feeling around the place lets FOR ONCE build on the momentum....

Instead we'll be on the merry go round again come the summer, you can only build momentum with tweaks here and there, not a complete overhaul every year, I know players moving on is the only time an agent makes his money BUT they are out players and we should be looking to tie down those that can move us FORWARD - whether the money is earmarked for other areas there should be enough to play with to keep M'Voto and Smith (should they want to stay)

We aren't far away from being a decent side Furman won't be a massive loss, neither will Simpson but most of the rest can take us forward and they're young enough to grow and mature as players together

Quite agree. I think in Smith we have a bit of a hero and if he pays off, he will do so big style. If the club wants the fans to come back, we need to something being built rather than going round in a viscious circle. Sign em up!!!!

Worth a contract for his improvement since Christmas, but we shouldn't forget that up until then he was bob average.

If Smith chooses to leave he would be making a mistake, he's only just started getting any game time at all and he needs to get more still. Some of the comment on here is hugely OTT...

If Smith leaves he will be no better then the money grabber Chris Porter.

If he leaves he will have already have earnt the club a decent wedge with his goals and efforts in the cup run. His late start in the game means he's got 10 years to achieve what he can in the game.

If he leaves he will have already have earnt the club a decent wedge with his goals and efforts in the cup run. His late start in the game means he's got 10 years to achieve what he can in the game.

Correct, he's already earned the club the equivalent of a large transfer fee.

Edited by BP1960