In typical, back to form Latics-fan style, we've got threads entitled "Tactics", "That was hopeless" and "Baxter", but come on - the ref won Sheffield that game.

Don't like slagging refs off generally, as they have the toughest job on matchdays. But that guy was an absolute joke.

The game changing decisions were:

- The refusal to give a penalty to us at 1-0 when Simpson was bundled over in the box.

- The decision to award the free-kick which lead to their second.

Other awful decisions included:

- Smith being sandwiched by two of their defenders in the box....yet the free kick being given against him.

- Obita's shirt being almost torn off his back in the run up to our blatant penalty.

- Only 4 minutes of injury time being added at the end. The Ref was celebrating with the Sheffield United players after their second goal for at least 5 minutes!

In all seriousness, I don't think there's too much to get down about today. We matched a top of the table team for the best part and two really uncharacteristic mistakes cost us. Hated the fact there was moaning from the Chaddy when Tarky messed up in the first half and Cisak mis-kicked around the same time. Where's the positivity from the Cup run gone??

Edited by JoeP

what pissed me off the most today was half the latics team shook hands with the little midget at the end of the game,As for the 4min injury time WTF he spent that jumping around with the yorkshire scum when they got the 2nd!!!!!!

:censored:ing disgraceful performance.

I swear to god that is the worst refereeing I have seen in my time.

That was a fix today....................

Sorry but you cannot get so many decisions wrong, he earned a big brown envelope today.

Edited by lancy lad

Woolmer was, by far, the worst referee I've seen at BP in a very long time - and I've been going to BP a very long time! The last time I left BP so angry about a referee was 10 years ago following Mark Clattenburg's dreadful performance culminating in the red card for Les Pogliacomi.

I know a lot of pushing and holding goes on in the penalty box these days, and as such a lot of decisions are not given. When Smith was pushed in the back in the box I didn't expect this ref to give a penalty. However, to give a free kick against Smith just beggars belief!

When Simpson was fouled in the box I thought for a second that the ref had brought play back for the foul on Obita, but of course he gave nothing!

I'm still not convinced that Mvoto or Simpson deserved yellow cards - I didn't spot any contact with the latter. When Mvoto was booked the ref called him over and then walked backwards 10 yards so Mvoto had to walk even further to receive his yellow card. Even that annoyed me, and that was after less than 20 minutes!

I could on, but won't.

Will the assessor's report criticise the referee? I doubt it!

Rant over.

:ranting:

Yes the ref was really bad and we played ok but we made two big mistakes that cost us the game

I think you have to accept honest mistakes by players at this level.

I think you have to accept honest mistakes by referees at this level.

But some of the decisions by today's ref were farcical.

Also Connor Brown owned their number 22, despite their number 22 being twice Connor's size. Number 22's pathetic time-wasting-limp off the pitch just added to the injustice of today.

I agree with all the ref comments he was so biased it was unreal

We were very very poor though, when we did play in patches we were very good but it was far from a good performance.

I'm a smith fan but for :censored: sake don't just hoof aimless balls up at him all day and get no one around him, there cb dealt with him very well

I don't know how much that ref earnt today but it was a joke

There 2nd goal kitson through an elbow at JYM and they don't the decision wtf

The foul on Baxter 1st looked inside to me as well but he gave it outside, obita was wrestled to the floor as he crossed to smith who was blatantly shoved as he went to head in, the one where the defender knocked the ball out and he gave a shove against obita was laughable

We were crap but the ref was worse

I've not seen it replayed, but I think he got Simpson's yellow card wrong.

Should have been a red.

Where were you sat O4U? I was in the main stand in line with it and it looked a fair 50 50 challenge to me. The linesman right next to it didn't flag for a foul. We see on tv that different angles show incidents in different lights. However the pull back on Obita was UNMISSABLE from any angle and he didn't book him. I am convinced that if those 2 incidents had been reversed we would still have had a Latics player in the book. Bent :censored:!

I've not seen it replayed, but I think he got Simpson's yellow card wrong.

Should have been a red.

Really??!!

Just looked like a 50:50 whoever wanted it less would get hurt. Didn't seem to show any studs? Just looked a great challenge.

Where were you sat O4U? I was in the main stand in line with it and it looked a fair 50 50 challenge to me. The linesman right next to it didn't flag for a foul. We see on tv that different angles show incidents in different lights. However the pull back on Obita was UNMISSABLE from any angle and he didn't book him. I am convinced that if those 2 incidents had been reversed we would still have had a Latics player in the book. Bent :censored:!

Half way up the Chaddy towards the main stand.

Really??!!

Just looked like a 50:50 whoever wanted it less would get hurt. Didn't seem to show any studs? Just looked a great challenge.

My initial instinct was that he used excessive force endangering an opponent. In today's soft game running the risk of a red card.

Not seen it back, so I could be totally wrong. And Matt Chambers tweeted that Simpson had been booked for winning the ball. So clearly the main stand perspective differs to mine.

Don't get me wrong though, that was the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen.

Edited by opinions4u

Half way up the Chaddy towards the main stand.

My initial instinct was that he used excessive force endangering an opponent. In today's soft game running the risk of a red card.

Not seen it back, so I could be totally wrong. And Matt Chambers tweeted that Simpson had been booked for winning the ball. So clearly the main stand perspective differs to mine.

Yeah I was in the main stand everyone around me was astonished that even a foul was given.

I have to confess I thought mvoto challenge was a yellow from main stand

He got that one right. Mvoto had lost his head. He went to Centre mid to take their lad out. He was going nowhere just pass him on. Similar to when he gets dragged out to fullback positions. Said it before he hates being out of his comfort at cb. He really panics.

Worst ref I've ever seen.

You can handle general incompetence, it comes with being in League 1 and getting League 1 refs. But this guy was biased towards Sheffield United. He's either been bribed or he had them in his accumulator.

Whilst both goals were of our own making, the first came after a goal kick awarded to them when Obita actually won a corner. We should have had at least one penalty for a push on Smith (how he awarded a free kick I don't know) and I'm not convinced the foul on Baxter was outside the area (looked in the area to me).

For almost every corner we won, he awarded them a free kick in the box almost before the ball was kicked!

Every time we started to get some momentum going in the game, he'd break it up by awarding a free kick or stopping play for one of their diving players. From the start of the game, he was determined to stop us playing football.

The four minutes of added time was an insult. Between their 22 going down with cramp and Kitson celebrating their 2nd, they wasted 7 minutes. There was also 5 or 6 subs and multiple instances of time-wasting which saw the ref point at his watch.

He summed it up when he left the field at half time with his arms around Sheff U players laughing and joking with them.

Edited by bossrocks