Dowie - changed my mind

Initially, I wanted Dowie to come back. However, the delay suggests he hasn't changed. His main priority has always been himself and his ability to maximise his income. He actually said as much in an interview many years ago when Oldham manager. This was underlined by his departure from Palace in favour of Charlton. His lies over the move cost him dearly - very ironic. He wants to stay with Sky because they give him more money. Fair enough.

The fact is that you want the Oldham job because you want to manage, you to make your mark, you're hungry to either make an initial impact or get back into the job and, in a small number of cases, you might actually have some affection for the club (rare option). Dowie doesn't have that hunger. He wants the Sky money. We shouldn't spend money we haven't got and we certainly shouldn't blow it on a manager who hasn't covered himself in glory since he got Palace in the play-offs. We need somebody with ambition and drive. Money is a secondary concern.

Time to move on....who's next? I've warmed ) a little to Brown. His tan is far less pronounced and i heard a nice discussion after the Stevenage game between him and TP. He's not ideal, but he might not be as bad as i first feared.

can we please have one thread on Dowie cheers, we see what happens this week.

I don't want Phil Brown but remember this Corney will make the decision not the fans , gutted to say we not pin down Dowie.

Edited by oafc_fan

I wouldn't mind Brown, he's passionate and cares a lot about the fans. Remember when Hull played City and he did his team talk on the pitch and made the players apologise to the fans?

That's probably the worst example you could give to support Brown's appointment. Think it's common knowledge that team talk played a large part in his downfall. The man's teetering on the brink, I'm at the stage where I'll take pretty much any one but him.

I wouldn't mind Brown, he's passionate and cares a lot about the fans. Remember when Hull played City and he did his team talk on the pitch and made the players apologise to the fans?

How many games did that team win after that?

They wouldn't play for him after that.

He's a dick.

Edited by opinions4u

Initially, I wanted Dowie to come back. However, the delay suggests he hasn't changed. His main priority has always been himself and his ability to maximise his income. He actually said as much in an interview many years ago when Oldham manager. This was underlined by his departure from Palace in favour of Charlton. His lies over the move cost him dearly - very ironic. He wants to stay with Sky because they give him more money. Fair enough.

The fact is that you want the Oldham job because you want to manage, you to make your mark, you're hungry to either make an initial impact or get back into the job and, in a small number of cases, you might actually have some affection for the club (rare option). Dowie doesn't have that hunger. He wants the Sky money. We shouldn't spend money we haven't got and we certainly shouldn't blow it on a manager who hasn't covered himself in glory since he got Palace in the play-offs. We need somebody with ambition and drive. Money is a secondary concern.

Time to move on....who's next? I've warmed ) a little to Brown. His tan is far less pronounced and i heard a nice discussion after the Stevenage game between him and TP. He's not ideal, but he might not be as bad as i first feared.

This is based entirely on supposition. You have no idea what's been discussed or what's causing the perceived delay.

Of course he's looking out for himself, just as we all do in our working life. And the move to Crystal Palace didn't work out too badly for him.

Unless someone with a username of New York Boss or S Corney Rules comes on here and starts dealing in truths and facts; we're purely guessing - all of us.

For what it's worth; i havent actually got the whole 'Dowie is our saviour' thing. I would obviously welcome him back if he were to get the job, but as i've said before; i really wouldnt be breaking the clubs salary structure to bring him here. He did really Well with us; with funds, he kept us afloat and fighting without funds. But - Iain Dowie is really not some sort of demi-God appointment for us.

Other managers are available.

Talks are going to restart this week, the block was TP was doing a great job and Corney pulled the plugs at the time, This has nothing to do with wages or transfers.

I just hope that Simon Corney pulls this off and he comes to Oldham :grin:

In Corney i Trust.

Edited by oafc_fan

That's probably the worst example you could give to support Brown's appointment. Think it's common knowledge that team talk played a large part in his downfall. The man's teetering on the brink, I'm at the stage where I'll take pretty much any one but him.

How many games did that team win after that?

They wouldn't play for him after that.

He's a dick.

Come on, surely you can tell I was joking? It's the worst thing he did at Hull whilst he was there.

For what it's worth; i havent actually got the whole 'Dowie is our saviour' thing. I would obviously welcome him back if he were to get the job, but as i've said before; i really wouldnt be breaking the clubs salary structure to bring him here. He did really Well with us; with funds, he kept us afloat and fighting without funds. But - Iain Dowie is really not some sort of demi-God appointment for us.

Other managers are available.

Agree totally with this. I'd be happy for a Dowie return but I don't see him as the only solution out there. The job spec of a decent coach, tactician, motivator and someone who believes (and isn't afraid to keep faith in) youth seems pretty well defined. Dowie may well be a good fit but he wouldn't be the only one to tick all these boxes and if his demands are out of budget then we'll move on.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Make me sick you lot. He's already lied to us, jumped ship and stole a car. Now he's pretty much :censored:ed us off and STILL most of this board is falling over themselves to suck his cock. Muppets.

Hehehehe. :laught30: