Nani Sending Off

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was never a red card decision.

Don't get me wrong, it's about time United were on the receiving end of a disastrous decision in a key game, but that shouldn't mean it negates just how much of a joke call that was last night.

Nani has a quick look whilst the ball is way, way in the air to see where Arbeloa is and how much space he has around him, and then watches the descent of the ball all the way to the point where he tries to trap it.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Those comparing it to NDJ's tackle in the WC final are bonkers. Two completely different tackles, in that one was someone who didn't care whether he poleaxed the opposing player and another who just wanted to get the ball under control.

I'm not so sure those labelling it as a reckless tackle and that it fully warranted a red card would be saying the same had it been a player from any team other than United (or City) for that matter.

Nani has a quick look whilst the ball is way, way in the air to see where Arbeloa is and how much space he has around him, and then watches the descent of the ball all the way to the point where he tries to trap it.

Which surely means it is reckless, he's looked and caught him?! But like I say earlier, I don't think its a red - it's just not the completely appalling decision it is being made out to be.

Edited by pukka

Had Nani not watched the descent of the ball at all, and only had eyes for the defender, before making contact with him, then I'd say it was both reckless and serious foul play.

However, it was a complete accident.

It was, in no way, any more reckless than when the Madrid keeper poleaxed Vidic with a punch after missing the ball completely and Vidic heading it.

I'm glad he got sent off. Im glad they got knocked out. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Fergie almost choke on his chewing gum and sprint down to the touchline to hurl abuse at the referee. I also enjoyed the incessant booing by the bitter Manure fans after the decision had been made. I also laughed and cheered when Modric equalised and I even cheered when Ronaldo scored (something i never want to have to do again). So all in all i thoroughly enjoyed seeing them go out and took great pleasure and delight in it as well.

Ferdinand's antics at the end just summed up what a horrible, hypocritical and spiteful club they are. The Champions League will be a far better tournament without them. Good riddance!

United were robbed on the night; it's the big game decisions that need attention drawing to them - in the long run it'll help the overall game. Nobody looks at the quality of refereeing that Oldham get, and nobody cares. Tin pot club in a tin pot league. However, somebody cocks up in a big game similar to last night and the process changes could filter down the leagues benefiting Oldham and the like.

Danny Baker questioned last night why referees seem to be above being questioned about their decisions; and I agree with him.

Ferdinand is a cock.

Had Nani not watched the descent of the ball at all, and only had eyes for the defender, before making contact with him, then I'd say it was both reckless and serious foul play.

It was, in no way, any more reckless than when the Madrid keeper poleaxed Vidic with a punch after missing the ball completely and Vidic heading it.

Although that was as blatant a penalty as I've ever seen!

Thats why in the replay it looks a lot worse. You see where he is looking, it looks like the ball takes an age to drop, but...

In real time - you see him have a look at the defender, he sticks his leg up.. Bang.

TV replays dont help referees.

Happy with the red - if Arbeloa doesn't jump then that is head high. Surely Nani bears responsibility for making sure that he doesn't endanger his fellow professionals, and hence intent / eyes on the ball is irrelevant?

Great decision. Ferdinand is toilet.

United fans are running about as if it was the worst decision of all time. It wasn't. Harsh - yes, but seen a LOT worse. It wasn't a red, but at full speed you can see why he has given it. When (in slow motion) you see his always has his eyes on the ball it makes the decision look worse.

Absolutely spot on. I don't think he should have been sent off, but he did give the ref a decision to make, and the ref only sees it once, from one angle, at full speed. There have been many, many worse decisions made.

That's strange cos it made it a great game for me.

Again, spot on. I thought it was a terrible game until the sending off. It really livened it up.

United can moan all they want, but they are just deflecting blame from themselves. They reacted terribly to the red card for 10 mins after it, and by the time they had composed themselves they had lost the game. Many teams have coped well with a man deficit, Chelsea managed to even win in Barcelona with a man down for a full half last season, but United didn't cope well at all. Blaming everything on the ref just masks their own failings (not making enough of their chances, questionable team selection, poor reaction from the players and the manager to the circumstances after the red.)

Danny Baker questioned last night why referees seem to be above being questioned about their decisions; and I agree with him.

Question the ref, and the ref says "he caught him in the chest with his studs showing, so I sent him off"... what would that achieve?

And who gets to question him? Broadcasters/Journalists who have an agenda? Someone impartial? UEFA?

Happy with the red - if Arbeloa doesn't jump then that is head high. Surely Nani bears responsibility for making sure that he doesn't endanger his fellow professionals, and hence intent / eyes on the ball is irrelevant?

Great decision. Ferdinand is toilet.

Oh yes. The laws of the game.

And who gets to question him? Broadcasters/Journalists who have an agenda? Someone impartial? UEFA?

Doesn't matter, and to be honest I don't care. The game has gone beyond the game, stakes are too high.

Doesn't matter, and to be honest I don't care. The game has gone beyond the game, stakes are too high.

That could make it miles worse. A ref, knowing he would be interrogated live on telly after the game by the host broadcaster, might start being more biased so that he gets an easy ride.

Honestly, I'm going more off football each season. It's not a contact sport any more. It's full of cheating, playacting pathetic wimps.

The game on the continent is about as entertaining as tag rugby.

If that was a red card last night then have we seen the end of goals scored by overhead kicks and Mark H##hes-esque scissor kicks?