Nani Sending Off

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even think he got the decision wrong, if you go in with your foot up in the air studs showing your only asking for one thing, regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

It would be interesting to see the united fans reaction had it been arbeloa who had made that challenge on nani, probably would have been the worst challenge in history and a 15 match ban.

Still let's not laugh to much eh.

Dangerous and Reckless, has a split second look too - gave the referee the option to send him off. When Roy Keane thinks it's a red card then you're bang to rights.

However, imho I thought Simpson was lucky to stay on the field on Saturday I may be in the minority but Simpson has been a walking red card all season….

Dangerous and Reckless, has a split second look too - gave the referee the option to send him off. When Roy Keane thinks it's a red card then you're bang to rights.

However, imho I thought Simpson was lucky to stay on the field on Saturday I may be in the minority but Simpson has been a walking red card all season….

got to agree, i thought the worst when i saw him dive.

In all the palaver people are overlooking Real's wrongly disallowed goal (for a non-existant foul) and Rafael's save which was a definite red card.

As for the Nani incident there was uproar when Howard Webb didn't send De Jong off for his challenge on Xabi Alonso in the world cup final 2010, Nani's challenge was very similar. I can certainly see why the ref sent Nani off, which means its not that dubious a decision. I might not have sent him off if I was the ref, but then again I'm a bit old school.

I think Eboue (ex-Arsenal) got sent off for a similar challenge at OT too. Didn't hear the armchairs wailing then.

Agree, Simpson has spent more time on his backside and arguing with the oppo and ref this season than he has trying to have a positive impact on the game.

In all the palaver people are overlooking Real's wrongly disallowed goal (for a non-existant foul) and Rafael's save which was a definite red card.

As for the Nani incident there was uproar when Howard Webb didn't send De Jong off for his challenge on Xabi Alonso in the world cup final 2010, Nani's challenge was very similar. I can certainly see why the ref sent Nani off, which means its not that dubious a decision. I might not have sent him off if I was the ref, but then again I'm a bit old school.

I think Eboue (ex-Arsenal) got sent off for a similar challenge at OT too. Didn't hear the armchairs wailing then.

got to disagree there, i agree it hit his arm, but at point blank range, and his arm was already there before the real player headed it, definite ball to hand. correct decision for me.

as for the sending off, its a tough one. personally i dont think its a sending off. he didnt know the man was there and is looking at the ball. although i do agree its a foul, and a yellow card. from the angle the ref is at i can see why he has sent him off, he has asked the ref a question, but if it was a latics player shown the red id be pissed off

Not a red. Not endangering opponent. No intent. He's controlling the ball - there's no force and no wrecklessness involved. He actually pulled out altogether when he saw the opponent coming for it.

Roy Keane has his own agenda. So ignore him. I found it amusing that the rest of the panel fell in behind him after he said it was a red last night - then changed their minds again a few minutes later.

That said, the ref was far better than Andy Woolmer.

Edited by opinions4u

I've a mate who is a referee and I spoke to him about an hour after the game. Him and other local refs had been emailing each other about the incident and it was pretty much a 50/50 split between those thinking red and those thinking yellow!

To me it was a red. The other definite red was Ferdinand's applause of the referee at full time which was appalling and he should be hauled over the coals for, not that he will.

Edited by jsslatic

Whether you like the rule or not, the fact is that if your foot is raised above waiste height and you make contact with an opponent it is a straight red for dangerous play. There is a chance in England that you would get away with a booking but on the continent it is not even up for debate.

No it isn't.

Nani's challenge was reckless, but was neither violent nor carrying excessive force. He was attempting to control/challenge for the ball and in doing so was unaware of his surroundings and clattered Arbeloa. A yellow card for a reckless challenge.

United fans are running about as if it was the worst decision of all time. It wasn't. Harsh - yes, but seen a LOT worse. It wasn't a red, but at full speed you can see why he has given it. When (in slow motion) you see his always has his eyes on the ball it makes the decision look worse.

Not laughed that hard in ages.

Should have sent them all off.

Edited by pukka

It depends if you see it as a challenge or not. Red card if when going for the ball you see your opponent, raise your leg and kick him on the upper arm or chest. Not even a foul if you are running after the ball and in attempting to control it you raise your foot and the defender seeing the danger should you do so runs into your foot. My impression was that Nanni was trying to control the ball rather than challenging for it and in that sense intent is all important. But what do I know. I thought we should have had two penalties and that Simpson was going for a 50 50 ball (main stand view).