Matt Smith would have scored an hatful against Inter tonight

tbh i dont see why top flight clubs dont have a player like smith in there team (im not saying smith specifically) top flight clubs are notorious for not being able to handle big guys, and thats why crouch was so successful with england.

it gives a different option from the bench. it wont win you titles, but it would definately be a game changer every now and then.

tbh i dont see why top flight clubs dont have a player like smith in there team (im not saying smith specifically) top flight clubs are notorious for not being able to handle big guys, and thats why crouch was so successful with england.

it gives a different option from the bench. it wont win you titles, but it would definately be a game changer every now and then.

I think you made my point philiggi.

that Michu fella is quite a big lad, he's had a decent first season.

Crouch never scored much against decent sides, he was great against rubbish ones who just had no idea what to do (ie knee the big :censored:er in the back). I could imagine bigger clubs than us thinking of Smith as Plan Z. If the ball is in there and he has a run up, what's your plan to deal with it? Not sure Barca will be calling yet though

The only Smith-like player I can remember in the Premiership in recent years is Nikola Zigic for Birmingham, and he was god awful. That's probably why.

Crouch never scored much against decent sides, he was great against rubbish ones who just had no idea what to do (ie knee the big :censored:er in the back). I could imagine bigger clubs than us thinking of Smith as Plan Z. If the ball is in there and he has a run up, what's your plan to deal with it? Not sure Barca will be calling yet though

He's not a smith type though, tall yes but arguably not the greatest in the air and arguably is better with his feet.

The only Smith-like player I can remember in the Premiership in recent years is Nikola Zigic for Birmingham, and he was god awful. That's probably why.

Dont speak ill of Nikola!

I captained him in Fantasy Football when Birmingham had a double gameweek a few years ago, he only played 5 minutes in the second game. What a legend!!

Anyone who saw Inter last night would have seen Smith would have had a field day.

What we are saying is continental teams usually like to play football on the ground, their centre backs are usually cultured and

don't have to deal with much in the air.

Smith would be a useful weapon against such teams - as he's already proved against some world rated defenders.

However, the paradox is he may be not as effective in Division One where many centre backs are as big and strong as him.

Anyone who saw Inter last night would have seen Smith would have had a field day.

What we are saying is continental teams usually like to play football on the ground, their centre backs are usually cultured and

don't have to deal with much in the air.

Smith would be a useful weapon against such teams - as he's already proved against some world rated defenders.

However, the paradox is he may be not as effective in Division One where many centre backs are as big and strong as him.

Totally agree. Looked what he did to Coates. Smith didnt give him any time to come out of defence and pass the ball bullied and batterd him in the air and make Coates look awul. Against Sheff united they were more up for the physical battle so he didnt do as well -(although i didnt think he had a bad game and had a couple of chances)

This is exactly why Smith scored 4 in 3 against Liverpool and Everton. These premiership teams are all trying to play like Spain and Barcelona. In our division Smith is less effective because he meets the journeymen defenders who are prepared to take on aggressive tall strikers. So I agree he could be a plan B and doubtless will be going somewhere on much higher wages to do just that.

It is all very well saying he would have bagged loads vs Inter last night but would you really be looking to replace Defoe with Matt Smith? Would Spurs really have played as well with Smith leading the line instead of Defoe?

I don't buy into this Premier League defenders are not up for the physical battle either. If anything they are probably more used to playing against strong players and I think this plays to Smiths strengths as he won't get pulled up for as much fouling. Out of our back line I would say Mvoto would be the only one to be ever likely to step up a level (if he cut out his mistakes). Why? Because he is big and strong!

Having said all that maybe Stoke should have taken a gamble on him when they had Rory Delap delivering the throw ins :)

Smith to a team in Europe?

I've heard it all now.

It happens, they said the same thing when Chris Makin went to Marseille, many Latics fans thought at the time he was no more that a lower league player.

It would not surprise me if Smith went to a British team team who have qualified for Europe.