Just seen the handball!

I couldn't quite get the ref in shot. He's very briefly shown on the edge of the view to the left stood pretty much on the penalty spot so you can see from this picture he would have absolutely nothing blocking his sight. Even so, everyone in the away end (some 90 yards away) could clearly see it was handball, every Oldham player claimed, a couple ran after the ref as the ball got cleared.

I saw it, and I was in a pub in Putney, facing southwards and away from the window

It's often thought in football that if a ref suspects he's made an error he'll even it up with a later decision. He must've known by the half time reaction that it was a mistake so turning down the Simmo push in the 2nd half is even more frustrating. Wish we had him in the Everton game that Connor Brown handball would've been ignored.

It's often thought in football that if a ref suspects he's made an error he'll even it up with a later decision. He must've known by the half time reaction that it was a mistake so turning down the Simmo push in the 2nd half is even more frustrating. Wish we had him in the Everton game that Connor Brown handball would've been ignored.

Wasn't sure the Simpson one was a penalty, looked like he threw himself over rather than a push.

I've just watched it in slomo, the ball rolls down from his bicep to off his elbow, time to start treating the refs like the enemy now imo, no use crying over spilt milk en all that, just got to beat 12 men from hereon in. .

This.

Not to mitigate the ref's poor performance but it's the rule that's wrong. Until the rule is changed we'll be in this position time and time again.

The rule states that the hand ball must be deliberate in order for the ref to award a foul.

Why this isn't changed to something like Hand ball = 'If the ball hits a player's hand and as a result his team gain an advantage'.

This is a far easier rule to apply and removes the did he, didn't he mean it debate.

I agree it clearly hit his arm, but leading up to the ball hitting his arm their player was tussling with Tarky (I think). As a result I can see how the ref might have thought this tussle led to a mistimed attempt to head the ball and therefore he may have perceived it to not be deliberate.

We have all sorts of interpretations on the rule because it's very hard to know if an attempt to play the ball is deliberate. I think it's easier for an official to perceive if an advantage was gained rather than know if a deliberate attempt was made to play the ball with the arm / hand. The only person who really knows that is the player himself.

I fail to see how the linesman didn't see it so I'm trying to provide some reasoning to why the decision wouldn't be given. These types of thing happen every week and until the rules change they will continue.

I agree it clearly hit his arm, but leading up to the ball hitting his arm their player was tussling with Tarky (I think). As a result I can see how the ref might have thought this tussle led to a mistimed attempt to head the ball and therefore he may have perceived it to not be deliberate.

We have all sorts of interpretations on the rule because it's very hard to know if an attempt to play the ball is deliberate. I think it's easier for an official to perceive if an advantage was gained rather than know if a deliberate attempt was made to play the ball with the arm / hand. The only person who really knows that is the player himself.

I fail to see how the linesman didn't see it so I'm trying to provide some reasoning to why the decision wouldn't be given. These types of thing happen every week and until the rules change they will continue.

Look mate, you got it wrong, maybe you're just not cut out for this refereeing lark?

I'm not defending the ref - I can just see how these sorts of decisions are made harder as proving intent is not an easy thing to do.

boss - have a look of the replay on iplayer. While the screenshot clearly shows the ball hitting his arm, there are definitely 2 players challenging for the ball at the point that the Tranmere lad jumps for it.

Making the rules easier to apply would help, but that's the last I'll say on it. I can see that most people feel it's a really obvious deliberate handball and are here to lambast the ref. I'm equally as frustrated but my solution is different.

Just as this says, the only 2 people who did not "see it" were the ref and his assistant. And it is not bad luck it is rank bad officiating.

Might have been 2 more, the 4th official and the referees assessor.