Best World Cup

With World Cup qualifiers coming up what do people think the best world cup was (Overall footbal and entertainment - not just 1966 because we won).

The one I enjoyed the most was Mexico 86 - Denmark 5 Spain 1 (Landrup), USSR - had a player I think called Rats, Maradonna at his best before he became a cheating c**t, and best final I have seen in a world cup Argentina 3 Germany 2).

Only down side was the Mad German Keeper Schumacher and his challenge on the French guy that would now days see him banned for a least 6 months (two footed challenge he nearly killed him).

Schumacher's challenge was 82 (I'm pretty sure).

My favourite world cups are '90 (I was 6 and its the first one I remember) and 98.

Yes sorry was 82 - minds plays tricks on you when you get old :-)

Edited by Stoney

Schumacher's attack on Batison was at Spain '82

Although I watched a lot of Mexico '86, mainly the tea-time highlights package. I remember the Hand of God and our second round win over Paraguay and the absolute brilliance of Maradona but at the time I had only just got into football. In fact I still hadn't been to a live game so it was all still a bit new to me. I collected the Panini Stickers too, the names were all new to me after my obsession with their 'Football '86' Collection….

But for sheer enjoyment it has to Italia '90, i'd been a football fanatic for 4 years, I was 13 all my mates were football daft and we had a World Cup to look forward to on the back of 'The Pinch Me Season', from the very first game when Oman-Biyik Scored scored a shock winner for Cameroon against the Argies and the three pronged assault on Caniggia as the Africans strived to hold onto to their lead, to Maradona's penalty miss in the QF against Yugoslavia it was a great tournament. I watched probably 95% of the games and on top of the brilliance of Mathaus, Milla, Schillaci etc we had an England Team that after a shaky start came so close to winning the thing. Gazza was enjoying his halcyon days after replacing the brittle Robson, Lineker was scoring freely and Platty's last second goal in the second round sparked elation from me that has probably only been equalled by Redders and Smithy's equaliser v Everton. It was a long hot summer, Pavarotti, United were still relatively :censored:, City WERE :censored:, and Latics were awesome! Life was easy, World in Motion was number 1 and we only had FOUR tv channels, Great Days that will never be rivalled….I'd go back to them tomorrow….

Edited by oafcprozac

1970 for me, Pele, and the great Brazilian side that thrashed Italy 4-1 in the final. England were a better side than in '66 but removing Charlton against the Germans was suicidal. Bobby Moore showed he was one of the greatest and Banks was legendary. And you could tackle without giving away a free kick.

1990 was the best. 1986 was the one I got most into. 1978 was wonderful because it was my first that I can remember.

Loved the Scotland effort against Holland after they'd been so poor. Also quite enjoyed them going out after so much bravado before the competition.

Loved my Dad, who's a miserable git, dragging me from my bed to watch Argentina demolish Peru 6-0.

1990? Jeebus. I think this is more people coming of age than anything. Look at the games, they were as dull as :censored: in the main. Especially England's group (one game had a result!). It got going for a brief moment in th QFs, but was a terrible tournament.

1994 however, was the opposite. maybe because it followed 1990 and just seemed so. Goals flying in during the group stages. New teams on the block; Bulgaria, Romania, Sweden, Nigeria. The only problem was the final*, sadly. Still the one I'd vote for as a tournament though.

*And that it was at stupid o'clock.

1982 - Fairly boring tourny with mad rules. And probably corrupt. Highlights include Brazil demolishing Scotland, Italy playing tortoise to Brazil's hare in the quarters, Batiston getting pretty much everything rearranged by Schumacher and Tardelli going bananas in the final.

1986 - can't be faulted for overall quality. So many great matches. Brazil v France pens. England v Poland, which was played around midnight our time and was a real treat to stay up for. England demolishing the much-fancied Paraguayans. Maradonna's series of drug-fuelled dribbles. Our stirring fightback against Argentina, led by John Barnes.

1990 - probably my favourite because we came so close when no one gave us a prayer. Cameroon dicking the Argies, including by way of some uncompromising tackling (the one on Cannigia is one of my all-time favourites. Argies imploding in the final.

1994 - Boring.

1998 - Boring, apart from St Etienne.

2002 - Boring.

2006 - Boring. Predictable capitulation from us.

2010 - Boring. Predictable capitulation from us.

1982 - Fairly boring tourny with mad rules. And probably corrupt. Highlights include Brazil demolishing Scotland, Italy playing tortoise to Brazil's hare in the quarters, Batiston getting pretty much everything rearranged by Schumacher and Tardelli going bananas in the final.

1986 - can't be faulted for overall quality. So many great matches. Brazil v France pens. England v Poland, which was played around midnight our time and was a real treat to stay up for. England demolishing the much-fancied Paraguayans. Maradonna's series of drug-fuelled dribbles. Our stirring fightback against Argentina, led by John Barnes.

1990 - probably my favourite because we came so close when no one gave us a prayer. Cameroon dicking the Argies, including by way of some uncompromising tackling (the one on Cannigia is one of my all-time favourites. Argies imploding in the final.

1994 - Boring.

2002 - Boring.

If it at first you don't succeed cut the Argie in half….

1994 - Boring.

2002 - Boring.

Geddup, yer girl….

1994 - Boring.

2002 - Boring.

1974 Holland were great to watch ,not many others were.

1978 was a terrific tournament , lots of spectacular goals.

1982 featured the best team to watch in my lifetime. Socrates , Eder , Falcao & co.

1986 the temperatures led to all the gamesbeing played in the same slow style.

1990 was good from Englands participation , but the first of many diabolical finals . They showed today's star how to dive.

And we could have won 82,86 & 90 .

82 came home unbeaten , with our two superstar midfielders not fit to play other than a cameo.

86 we tore Argentina to pieces after the manager stopped being scared of them at 2-0 down and letting Barnes get at them , too late .

90 ,we know how close to winning that we were.

94 Bulgaria whupping Germany the highlight , the worst final ever

98 Dull tournament

2002 , worst ever refereeing , the disallowed goals stopping Spain beating Some nation South Korea a disgrace.

2006 yawn fest

2010 only entertaining game our 4-2 defeat by Germany

78 & 82 my favs

2002 - Boring.

I've only really been a football fan for these 3 world cups and I've struggled to "enjoy" them. Mostly because we never lived up to the media hype but also, I don't really think any of the games we've played have been classics or really good games involving England. Beckham's penalty vs Argies in '02, Joe Cole's volley vs Sweden in '06 I remember but the rest was somewhat of a dull blur. The less said about 2010 the better! Roll on Rio....

• 2 weeks later...

1990 I was 10 and Oldham gave me a real experience of loving football, England did great and it was my first experience of a World Cup, generally though looking back it wasnt all that great.

As an unbiased view I really enjoyed the '94 finals. Followed Ireland through it and beating Italy was fantastic, watching Maradonna make his drug fueled come back, Baggio and the Brazilian front line. Stoichkov and Hagi, not to mentioned Columbias build up from their previous qualifications who were highly tipped as a favorite only to end up laughing stocks (until Escobars early departure from the world). Just brilliant football all round from every game. Only thing that let the whole tournament down was the lack of Englands presence.