swindon v latics match reports

I'd have definitely taken a point if it had been offered beforehand. A good result on Monday and things would look a lot rosier. Still plenty of hard work to do though.

As others have said, we would probably have buckled under that late onslaught in the past.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic point, well done boys. Bloody Rooney overhead kick (I've heard that somewhere before). Can someone explain to me why raising your foot slightly is dangerous play, but kicking 6 foot in the air is fine? Great skill, spectacular, but surely dangerous.

Fantastic point, well done boys. Bloody Rooney overhead kick (I've heard that somewhere before). Can someone explain to me why raising your foot slightly is dangerous play, but kicking 6 foot in the air is fine? Great skill, spectacular, but surely dangerous.

Depends if there's anybody nearby who'd be in danger.

Was at the game. Swindon missed at least 4 clear chances including 2 sitters. Can't believe we drew! Great point!

Just got back too - we rode our luck today and were fortunate that the Swindon forwards wasted so many good chances - but a point away at Swindon is good stuff - bring on Colchester...

op4u fair play mate i watched his interviews on player this week as been working away an i hold my hands up the guy looks alright so ive got humble pie on the menu for tonite me thinks

Fair play to you, nowt wrong with people having differing opinions, still early days but so far so good.

The way I have been looking at it is that many ex-players become managers to stay in and around football, LJ appears to have been wanting to end his playing career to become a manager. His age does and experience does still bother me but so far we can't argue with the results. Long may it continue.

op4u fair play mate i watched his interviews on player this week as been working away an i hold my hands up the guy looks alright so ive got humble pie on the menu for tonite me thinks

I don't think many wanted a 31 year old they'd never heard of as manager.

But then "many" hadn't interviewed him.

This was never a game we needed to get anything from other than a team performance. 1 point and our better goal difference could make all the difference. If we go after Colchester like we did Hartlepool then come Monday night things will look much brighter.

I hate to say I've won a bet with my son that we would be in the bottom four at the end of March! However, I didn't think we would be in the position to jump out three days later. I'm certain that with LJ we won't be in the bottom four again after Monday.

Edited by Hands on

I thought we were pretty poor today, lots of misplaced passes, nothing much upfront and left their players unmarked so many times in the second half it was untrue...they could/should have scored 4 after the break.

Baxter had a poor game I thought and Tarky and Brown do not inspire a huge amount of confidence at the back.

Big Jean was immense as always, winning everything in the air but the back four continue to provide the opposition with chances as they just don't seem to talk to each other.

I don't think if I've ever seen a player as happy/relieved to have scored as Barnard and the way the squad celebrated with him said a lot about how his efforts are appreciated.

LJ pretty well gave up on any idea of trying to win the game by bringing on Iweliumo and Smith who managed to win not a single header between them and we were desperately hanging on for the final whistle

In the end you have to say its a good point won but its yet another reminder of what a poor, poor division this is if Swindon are anywhere near automatic promotion.

I thought we were pretty poor today, lots of misplaced passes, nothing much upfront and left their players unmarked so many times in the second half it was untrue...they could/should have scored 4 after the break.

Baxter had a poor game I thought and Tarky and Brown do not inspire a huge amount of confidence at the back.

Big Jean was immense as always, winning everything in the air but the back four continue to provide the opposition with chances as they just don't seem to talk to each other.

I don't think if I've ever seen a player as happy/relieved to have scored as Barnard and the way the squad celebrated with him said a lot about how his efforts are appreciated.

LJ pretty well gave up on any idea of trying to win the game by bringing on Iweliumo and Smith who managed to win not a single header between them and we were desperately hanging on for the final whistle

In the end you have to say its a good point won but its yet another reminder of what a poor, poor division this is if Swindon are anywhere near automatic promotion.

I wasn't at the game, but I don't see how bringing on 2 strikers is giving up on trying to win the game, quite the opposite.

I wasn't at the game, but I don't see how bringing on 2 strikers is giving up on trying to win the game, quite the opposite.

Haha, in one sense you're right but it just appeared the tactic was to try and have them relieve the pressure by lumping it long to them so the could use their strength and height to hold the ball up....problem is, neither are good enough to do that

Haha, in one sense you're right but it just appeared the tactic was to try and have them relieve the pressure by lumping it long to them so the could use their strength and height to hold the ball up....problem is, neither are good enough to do that

Furry muff, I still think his intent was to win. In his GMR interview he bemoaned the lack of physical and mental fitness that prevented us getting down to their box as a team.

Furry muff, I still think his intent was to win. In his GMR interview he bemoaned the lack of physical and mental fitness that prevented us getting down to their box as a team.

He's right on that!

To be clear, my original comment was not intended as a dig at LJ, frankly, he has really impressed me with his thoroughness and I am really looking forward to next season. For now, he has to work with what he has.

I was at the game today and have to commend Croft. He was in a real battle against their left back all game. He was coming out second most of the time but he kept plugging away and had the quality to find the right pass to Barnard and create the goal.

Their goal was the best finish I've seen live for a long time. Don't shoot me but I was applauding it - sometimes you just have to take a step back and admire something like that.

We rode our luck once we'd conceded and, thanks to some woeful finishing, held on well for an excellent point. They could have scored 4 in the second half.

Back home, never been so happy with a point. They really should have buried us with the clear cut chances they had, our passing (especially in our own half) was very poor but the lads battled well all game and the first XI do look like a decent unit.

Bouzy did well overall and nothing could be done about a truly great overhead kick but he seemed hesitant to when coming out of his box or closing down the strikers angle. Brown played well but like Grounds seemed to lose his discipline at the end, Grounds was solid again, Mr consistent of the season. Tarky did OK but his lack of pace was exposed on a few occasions and big Jean was very good, making some crucial headers. Still room for improvement for the centre back pairing but they are getting better as a partnership.

Wes and Korey Smith were alright, still look to be finding their feet as a pairing (understandably), Simpson wasn't particularly effective and Baxter was too in and out of the game to make a notable impact. Croft battled very well, culminating in the assist for the goal.

Barnard lacks a bit of pace to really stretch defenses but he worked hard and took his finish very well. Hopefully that's the 1st of many for the run-in! Was surprised that Obita wasn't preferred to Montano at the end as Obita is currently more match fit and Montano isn't as quick at hitting teams on the break. Smith won a couple of headers and blocked a shot on our goal line but up against Flint he was matched for height. Johnson did the front 2 no favours with the formation change, but that's no excuse for Iwelumo. I've defended him and still feel he has some positive traits we can use, but they are largely irrelevant due to the fact that he's painfully slow!

First impressions of Johnson are positive, he's got the team working for him already and the team shape he's got is potentially expansive. Today was a very impressive point so he deserves him fair share of credit. Two negatives for me. Firstly playing Smith and Iwelumo together was, um, interesting. Hopefully we won't be seeing much of it again. Playing 2 target men together can work if one wins the header and the other holds it up, protecting the ball. Platt and Akinfenwa at Northampton are a great example, Smith and Iwelumo are not. Secondly (and this is minor) to say that they rarely threatened after the early stages is deluded, hope he's just being biased not stating fact!

Fans were good, out of interest who's party are Crofty and Groundsy going too??

Monday is HUGE!! Win and I'll be very surprised to see us going down.

Fair assessment of the game - for me the key thing is that we definitely seemed to run out of steam in the final twenty minutes of the game - whether that was down to their equaliser or not is difficult to know.

One thing though - sending on Smith and Iwelumo should not happen again -if that is plan B or plan C then it should be consigned to the tactics folder marked 'Do not try this again - ever'.

As for Baxter - for me his obvious lack of speed is the reason he is playing at this level - and until he modifies his game to allow for this he will continue to have games like yesterday.

All in all an unexpected point against a much better, fitter side - can't be sniffed at.

And I loved the goal celebrations - shows just how much it means to the lads on the park.