Stating the obvious thread

A big word up for Baxter. The one shining light we've had out of this dreadful season. Could you imagine having this lad in the play off Dowie season........would we have gone up?

He is an amazing talent Lags and so much better than our level.

However he does frustrate the :censored: out of me sometimes when he doesn't chase down after losing the ball.

There was a ball that he completely :censored: out of heading yesterday because their lad was very committed to winning.

Without him we would probably be down, but I want to see him go full into tackles and headers because he will be even more wasted in the 4th division.

I was at Hillsborough yesterday and if the Jermaine Johnson who turned out for Sheff Wednesday yesterday had played for us we'd have gone up, he absolutely tore Blackburn a new one

Mate of mine is a Wednesdayite, he regularly raves about JJ, but I'd have expected him to have improved from his time with us.

Baxter is by far the best player at the club but also one of the most inconsistent imo

If you mean by most inconsistent that he is consistently the best Latics player on the pitch, I'd agree.

But if you mean inconsistent in the same way as players like Robbie Simpson, Connor Brown, James Wesolowski, Lee Barnard, Dean Bouzanis and James Tarkowski, then I can't agree with that.

JJ was infuriating .....but he was might exciting to watch as well ,fastest player I can recall at our place since the imcomparable Paul Warhurst.

Paul Edwards could shift. May have been later than JJ. Years of mediocre to :censored:e players blend into one.

Edited by Microcuts

Ah, the old "are the players talented enough" question.

We may never know the answer.

I think they have the ability. Their attitude to make it happen is massively lacking.

Oh absolutely agreed, but what I was getting at is as far as creativity in the middle of the park goes and footballing nous, Baxter is miles ahead of anyone else in the squad in my opinion. Only other player that comes close re 'making things happen' is Croft.

There was a ball that he completely :censored: out of heading yesterday because their lad was very committed to winning.

Without him we would probably be down, but I want to see him go full into tackles and headers because he will be even more wasted in the 4th division.

If others would have taken the chances that he created, it wouldn't have mattered that he wasn't competing for every challenge. To get the most from a talent like his, I'd be quite happy to watch others take up the leg work. Let him seek out the attacking opportunities for us.

Paul Edwards could shift. May have been later than JJ. Years of mediocre to :censored:e players blend into one.

I remember him catching that Keegan Parker in the Playoffs, Parker had at least 20 yards on him and he caught him... Probably one of the quickest playerd I have seen,

I remember him catching that Keegan Parker in the Playoffs, Parker had at least 20 yards on him and he caught him... Probably one of the quickest playerd I have seen,

Paul Edwards was the greatest playmaker Izale McLeod ever played with.

Baxter or Croft? My player of the season is Croft. Baxter goes missing and often does the wrong thing - with his skill properly applied we should not have been where we are - remember that penalty?

I'd argue Croft went missing after ballboy-gate and wasn't sighted again until the Everton game.

Talking about JJ reminds that things could be worse....anyone remember a corker he scored early in his Latics career away to Rushden & Diamonds (we got stuffed 4-1 iirc) some years ago?

JJ has gone on to greater things, we have stayed where we are but Rushden have well, completely lost their sparkle :(

Ah, the old "are the players talented enough" question.

We may never know the answer.

I think they have the ability. Their attitude to make it happen is massively lacking.

We keep saying that the players have the ability but where is the evidence to suggest this?

In the last 3 seasons we have managed only a handful of decent performances and a long awaited cup run.

We have players who can't pass the ball 5 yards, players who treat the ball like a hot potato, others who hoof It anywhere and to anybody and almost none who run off the ball to find space.

I've come to the conclusion that we are just plain :censored:e, and have been for some considerable time!!