Would you swap our season wiith the also rans?

Assuming we stay up - would you swap our season for any other side in our divison who has not made the play offs?

Personally I wouldn't. I've enjoyed this season much more than the last 3 or 4. Yes it has been frustrating as hell at times, but it has actually been exciting.

Crewe away

Preston at home

Sheff United away

Forest

Liverpool

Everton

Bury

Yeovil

Managerial changes, complete confusion - 31 year old manager appointed - fans locked out -

an end of season which has meant something and we haven't come a cropper (well I am asuming Scunny wont win both games here!) -

I'd much rather have had this than Crawley, Strevenage, Notts County etc.

Crewe had a day out at wembley and to be honest if we "do a crewe" next year I'd be pleased. Well clear of relegation and a jpt final would be a decent season for me. Something to build on.

Tranmere started like a train, must have had genuine aspirations of going up and.......

The FA cup run gave me some of the best times I've had as a latics fan. Old enough to appreciate it too.

I'd rather have had our season to be honest than most others in fact other than the 3 sides who go up. Even Crewe - they got to wembley, but I'd have much rather beaten Liverpool. Front and back pages of teh papers. Suarez, Gerrard etc or a JPT win?

Edited by pukka

In our division I'd swap our season for Crewe's (they got to Wembley), and the 3 sides who go up and the side that looses the play-off final. That is it, play-off semi finalists is a very good season but our's would be better IMHO.

tuff one. I hate loosing ruins my saturday especially when we are at home and thats happend far too often

the cup games were amazing ive never shed a tear over latics but i came close again liverpool..... I think id probably take an also ran season rather than this one where after being almost completly outplayed by carlisle first half i thought we were down,

Liverpool and Everton were up there with our shenanighans from 89/90/91 for me.

As individual moments go Smiths equaliser is possibly second only to Redfearns penalty in terms of sheer, unbridled joy.

It's great that the younger lot who perceive OAFC completely differently to how I do have had a taste of the magic that makes us, pound for pound, the best club in the world to support.

Now we are safe , no way !

Sheff u away, prestn home, forest , Liverpool , everton , and then last sat at bury have been brilliant days , some of the best in recent memory , I'll forget how :censored: we ve been most of the season but I'll never forget wabaras header or smiths equaliser

Now we are safe , no way !

Sheff u away, prestn home, forest , Liverpool , everton , and then last sat at bury have been brilliant days , some of the best in recent memory , I'll forget how :censored: we ve been most of the season but I'll never forget wabaras header or smiths equaliser

good question, and i agree with this. now we're (nearly - this is Oldham) safe, i wouldn't have swapped it for anything other then promotion.

I'd rather be losing playoff finalists though as we'd be better placed to finally get out of this godforsaken league next year.

And we'd have witnessed winning football for the majority of the season.

Bah humbug.

I think we're in as good a position now to win promotion next year as we would be losing play-off finalists.

Even though it probably won't be by much, surely the cup run means a bigger budget on the playing because of the cup run?

Defeat in the play-off final could mean a hangover the following season and an exodus of players who are picked up by better teams because of our relative success. We might have gone out of the cup this year, but we certainly aren't "losers" (like we would be in in the play-off final...) because of the money we've made.

That aside - The Forest, Everton and Liverpool games were ruddy brilliant.

Give me our season every time.

Edited by JoeP

I will never understand people who think teh draw with Everton was better than beating Liverpool.

The day after beating Liverpool we were top dogs. Top of the tree - Front and Back pages of the papers, random people in work I've never even spoken to asked me what it was like being there. The joy of beating liverpool is still with me now. The everton draw faded a bit after a day.

Edited by pukka

Been a bit of a rollercoaster hasn't it :grin:

Looking back on the season as a whole ( assuming there is not another sting in the tail ) League form has been mostly dire, mediocre or continual under achievement,save for the odd few games.

The F A cup on the other hand was magical and i would never want to swap moments like that for finishing outside the playoffs.

Away from the cup run, we have signed the most talented player we have had in years in Jose Baxter, been fortunate enough to secure Lee Croft for a full season and In Lee Johnson, now have a bright young manager who is eager to build something for the future at OAFC .

Shame it's soon time for bloody cricket :chubb:

As individual moments go Smiths equaliser is possibly second only to Redfearns penalty in terms of sheer, unbridled joy.

I only decided this week that I have full use of my right arm following that goal. And given what two of my passions in life are, that's serious, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Without the cup run it'd be a no brainer and I'd always like a play-off push, even with the inevitable failure. Going away with a chance of pushing up the table, even just a glimmer of hope, meana lot more.

With the 3 great days the FA Cup gave us we're in the fortunate position to be able to laugh at Tranmere.

I will never understand people who think teh draw with Everton was better than beating Liverpool.

The day after beating Liverpool we were top dogs. Top of the tree - Front and Back pages of the papers, random people in work I've never even spoken to asked me what it was like being there. The joy of beating liverpool is still with me now. The everton draw faded a bit after a day.

The Everton atmosphere at 2-1 down was unreal, the 20 min great escape how do you top that, the smith equaliser, euphoria. But for me the Forest game out of nowhere, how did we win that. Kidderminster great following , great pies. Would I swap this season with any other team, no way win, lose, draw, what will be will be, Latics I love you.

I'd rather be losing playoff finalists though as we'd be better placed to finally get out of this godforsaken league next year.

And we'd have witnessed winning football for the majority of the season.

Bah humbug.

Losing a playoff final, I'd imagine, would be the worst possible feeling in football. It would be a million times worse than losing the semi final, and thats bad enough.

Afternoon gents.

Based on a few assumptions which hadn't been resolved at the time, I asked this question back in February.

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41701&st=0

Now that the dust has almost settled, and my pessimism has proved to be justified, your season looks a hell of a more attractive than ours in hindsight, and yes, I am more than a little jealous.

Anyway, have a good summer (do you get one in Oldham - it always seems to be freezing at your place?) & as ever, see you next season!