Squad movements, summer 2013

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated today — no surprise, but Furman's departure confirmed (based on his Twitter comments, "I had a great 4 years at the club and I will always remember my time there. Good luck to you all in the future. I will always keep an eye out for the club.")

Also, Croft's comments make it sound unlikely he'll be here — "Im sure ull have a lot more 2 cheer about nxt year under the new gaffa. Things definately lookin up! Keep the faith! X"

Edited by Crusoe

LJ is quoted as saying he wants a squad of 22,two for each position.he already has 4 under contract and the 4 trainees promoted to professional.he also says he is looking to bring in 4.that leaves at least 8 going..out-furman,cisak simpson,byrne,murray(rtm),brown,hughes and jacob.and then there is the uncertainty over smith,croft and mvoto.

I don't get the impression that there's much uncertainty about Smith. Big Jon & Crofty have said nice things about the club but Corney seemed certain that Championship clubs are after Smith. I wouldn't expect him to be here but I can't knock Smith. Corneys comments made a few months ago but he's shown total commitment when he's played even if he knows his future is elsewhere.

on the basis of smith.croft and mvoto leaving it may well have to be 7/8 signings.i saw a qote from LJ suggesting new teams take too long to gel.he was looking for evolution rather than revolution and hit the ground running.i can agree with "boys in blue"about smith croft.mvoto has indicated he is willing to discuss a contract.

We have a core of: Grounds, Weslowski, Montano and Baxter who are under contract. If I was LJ I would do my up most to get Bouzanis, Mvoto, Tarky, Croft, and Smith on 2-3 year deals. The others it can be mix and Match. I would like a starting 11 of : Bouzanis, (New RB), Tarky, Mvoto, Grounds, Croft, Weslowski (New Attacking Mid), Montano, Baxter and Smith. Work around that. But Im not LJ and we could see a whole new looking team come August 3rd

But also in other words if a Championship club comes in for him he's gone. Cant blame him though.

Nope. Shown latter half of the season that the good player that was trying to get out (past all the beer belly) early on was there.

Would be an excellent coup to hold on to him in League One I think. He is good enough to play at the next division level and/or earn more money.

I'm with PiL on this. Tarkowski and Belezika as the two starting centre backs would virtually guarantee relegation.

I'm not disagreeing, we couldn't survive on such youth.

But, i wish there was more optimism from fans, especially when we seem to be looking up - New fresh manager with seemingly great ideas, an overhaul of the deadwood on the way and if Korey Smith is anything to go by, Johnson knows how to pick a player.

I'm optimistic and i know that our permanent back pairing won't be Belezika and Tarky - that would be an extremely naive and silly thing to do.

Belezika over Tarky though for me, improve his kicking and it looks like we've got a fairly good defender there.

I think both are good players to keep hold of.

Tarky can be erratic, yes and Belezika looks to have a bit of a hot head style about him but I think with a bit of support and guidance both could be excellent cover or even a starter for next season going on to first choices in the next couple of seasons IMO

??

You'd be optimistic with Tarky and Belezika being our main centre backs for the season?

This,

They are there to develop and improve but if they were our 2 first choice centre backs then that means our squad is fooked!

Updated the opening post again today. Another year for Belezika, Brown and Byrne, but bye bye to Bouzanis, Hughes, Jacob, Simpson and Taylor.

No word on Paul Murray but I reckon he'll hang up his boots either way.

Edited by Crusoe