Jimmy Nicholl in frame for Assistant Manager's Job

His record as Raith Rovers manager was fantastic.

This feels good to me.

Management career

Nicholl had great success at Raith Rovers, winning the Scottish League Cup on 27 November 1994—four years to the day that he had arrived at the club—and reaching the Scottish Premier Division as First Division champions six months later. Due to their SFL Cup triumph, they qualified for the UEFA Cupand reached the second round, where they were eliminated by eventual winners Bayern Munich.

On 28 February 1996, Nicholl was appointed manager of Millwall, who just over two months earlier had been top of Division One but were now sliding down the table. He was unable to arrest the decline and Millwall slipped into Division Two on the last day of the season. He remained at Millwall until the following February, and six months after that returned to Raith Rovers. His second spell at Raith lasted two years, and ended on 14 June 1999 after he had failed to get them back into the top flight.

A 28-day spell as manager of Dunfermline Athletic followed later in 1999, and he later served as assistant manager to Jimmy Calderwood at East End Park. In May 2004, Nicholl followed Calderwood when he took over as manager at Aberdeen, again serving as his assistant until the two parted company with the club in May 2009.[3] He resumed his partnership with Calderwood at Kilmarnock in 2010.

Nicholl was appointed manager of Cowdenbeath in June 2010,[4] but he left Cowdenbeath at the end of the 2010–11 season after they were relegated from the First Division.[5]

Nicholl was then appointed assistant manager of Kilmarnock for a second time, by Kenny Shiels on 15 June 2011.[6

Edited by oafcprozac

Dickov was to be fair, but he signed 'cruisers', I can't see LJ doing that if Korey Smith is anything to go by and the improvement we have seen from players like Croft, Grounds, Brown and even dare I say Simpson….

The 2 big tests (and benchmarks for me personally for him as a manager) now are those players maintaining this standard over Summer to pre season standard & then for the bulk of a season. .

Do that and we will be going places with this young and exciting manager.

Interesting to see what everyone thinks are the attributes of a good Asst, and look at the most succesful.

EXperience to give LJ a hand in tactics seems reducndant now, as he has done more to change a game than PD is a season and a half

PD said he wanted someone to sound out, but that did not work

I would envisage somene the players could talk to so that he becomes a conduit to the manager, filtering out the crap so the manager does not listen to petty stuff

Be an extra pair of eyes to see what the opposition are doing or not concentrating on the ball, but one step ahead/behind whilst mgr concentrates on run of play,not sure which is best.

Pretty sure LJ said he had 3 on his radar as potential Ass Mgrs.

1 was currently employed at a club and nothing could be done until the summer.

Guess JN is that one then?

I still wonder who the one was who was available but LJ wasnt sure if would "fit in with the clubs image"?

Pretty sure LJ said he had 3 on his radar as potential Ass Mgrs.

1 was currently employed at a club and nothing could be done until the summer.

Guess JN is that one then?

I still wonder who the one was who was available but LJ wasnt sure if would "fit in with the clubs image"?

Graham Rix was the name Mr Sinnott posted on here.

Vague Scottish fit to it.

Ah right.

We signed Lee Hughes so i dont think we can take the high road with Rix really. The club's image was ripped up & thrown in the bin with Hughes; Rix wont make much of a difference really IMO.

From my understanding of the details of their offences I'd rather we employed Rix over Hughes in terms of past misdeameanors. However, Rix is not allowed to work alone with youth players which means appointing him as assistant manager is not really viable.

I think the vitriol we underwent after signing Hughes probably put Corney off for a long time from employing someone with a similar history.