Best Night Ever At Loftus Road

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunate sending off my arse, he could easily have been sent off before he did. His first booking was the sort of incident (bit of handbags IIRC) that could have meant a red card. After he scored his celebration at the Chaddy end could easily have earned him another booking. IIRC Then there was a bad tackle that finally did earn him the red card.

I've always wondered why fans sit there looking at the opposition celebrate. I always think "I'd just do one", but there I was sat there watching them unfurl that flag with "WE ARE QPR" across it. Unable to leave my seat in shock.

The day after I sat outside HSBC in Rochdale town centre absolutely gutted for about 3 hours. As low as I've ever felt as a Latics fan.

Blackpool in '06 wasn't the same. They were a better side, they did us 3 times out of 4 that season and had momentum. QPR was different. There was nothing between the 4 sides that play offs in 03. That is still the strongest year I have seen in the 17 we have been in this division

Edited by pukka

The most devastated I've ever been after a match.

Agree Paddy

Felt numb when Furlong scored, I agree about the devastation you felt, 1994 Hughes and all that was bad but we knew United were the best and we'd have one chance. QPR weren't better than us, they just got a break in the right time. I still don't know how Day saved Fitz's late effort.

I dug out some old VHS tapes the other week and watched the Soccer Night highlights, Dowie is nearly in tears speaking to the presenter in the studio. He was a mercenary at the end but he was devatstated.

At the time my girlfriend now wife was ready to give birth any day, but she knew how much it meant to be there for the 2nd leg, luckily she held on for a couple more days. As numb as I felt my only thought was getting home to the missus. It was only a few days after Rosie was born and things began to return to normal that the monumental gutting feelings took hold, with the realisation that we were in the :censored: and big time as Moore was about to pull the plug.

Edited by oafcprozac

I've always wondered why fans sit there looking at the opposition celebrate. I always think "I'd just do one", but there I was sat there watching them unfurl that flag with "WE ARE QPR" across it. Unable to leave my seat in shock.

The day after I sat outside HSBC in Rochdale town centre absolutely gutted for about 3 hours. As low as I've ever felt as a Latics fan.

Blackpool in '06 wasn't the same. They were a better side, they did us 3 times out of 4 that season and had momentum. QPR was different. There was nothing between the 4 sides that play offs in 03. That is still the strongest year I have seen in the 17 we have been in this division

Agree totally. Actually, if I remember right, Trashmere finished only just out of the play-offs that year and had a solid team too. All the top seven were good teams. Still reckon we would have gone up if we hadn't suffered horrendous injury problems to class players like Wijnhard and Murray. I remember feeling total desolation on the tube after the second leg. Definitely in my top ten most memorable matches as a Latics fan, but unfortunately for the wrong reasons.

Fond memories of that season. It was the best season I have witnessed properly as a Latics fan. Had just moved to Sheffield and got to lots of games home and away. It was such a strong division and I feel any of the top 7 could have been promoted and survived in the division above.

Was gutted when we went out of the play offs, really thought we had a chance, unlike when we played Blackpool who I knew were the better team.

totally agree with you, people talk about having a winning mentality from time to time under other managers we've had but that season we truely were watching a team of winners, we were mentally strong and never let any side roll us over. Even when we lost we would always bounce back, we gained so many points that season in the last 15 minutes of matches and even on that night when we went a goal down that night I still had a feeling that we'd pull it back. I've got to admit that most of the time I accept that we're crap, that for every great performance a naff one will come around and undo all the good work but that season we truely were a great side, it's just a shame they weren't rewarded with promotion but League 1 was a very strong Division that season, look at the players who went on to establish themselves in the Championship and higher

Like had been said, against Blackpool it wasn't the same feeling as we were up against a side who if we're blatantly honest were better than us and wanted it more, the QPR game in 2003 was a true battle. I just hope we see a side like that again one day

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Highlights of that year?

The 8 straight wins

Clint against the Dippers

10 men winning at Swindon

Winning at Derby

Win at West Ham

Coming from 2 down at Plymouth

Back to Back Away Wins at Crewe and Tranmere

Eyresey at Stockport

Fitz's pen at Mansfiield

Pog's preventing a cricket score when we finally lost an away game

Back to back 4 nillers at home v Chesterfield and Swindon

Andrews' first minute v Wigan

Carss strike at the Gay Farm

Eyresey sending the crowd into raptures in the Play Off 1st leg

Does anyone have a video of Eyresy's free kick at Edgeley Park? One of the best feelings as a latics fan that season.

Got it on VHS and managed to pick up a cheap video the other week, remind me later in the week and i'll stick it on Youtube - busy today, Shrewsbury later and lot on Weds and Thurs. Give me a nudge on Friday think i'm free as it stands so will do it then

I remember some of the impressive away followings we took that season, over 3,000 to Stockport, Wigan and Huddersfield (I couldn't get a ticket for the latter)

The train on the way to Mansfield breaking down outside Sheffield

That Eyres goal vs QPR was the loudest I can ever remember the Chaddy End being

Notts County away was probably the best away performance I've ever seen

Clyde scoring after 20 seconds against Huddersfield

Two things going into that game which to me where part the difference Clyde and Poggy where not fit. Got to saay that was the best season other than the Royle years i had watching Latics.

Remember the club coach coming back the feeling was gutted Blackpool as someone mentioned where the form team and felt we had already lost that game in the first leg.