Best Night Ever At Loftus Road

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of highlights from that season, has anyone got a copy of all the games? Best season we have had since we have been in this sodding league and we never made a highlights video/dvd.

I don't think they ever released one due to us being financially in the doggy doo at the end of that season

I remember some of the impressive away followings we took that season, over 3,000 to Stockport, Wigan and Huddersfield (I couldn't get a ticket for the latter)

The train on the way to Mansfield breaking down outside Sheffield

That Eyres goal vs QPR was the loudest I can ever remember the Chaddy End being

Notts County away was probably the best away performance I've ever seen

Clyde scoring after 20 seconds against Huddersfield

I missed the Notts County game having lost at home to Wycombe the week before me and Brownie went to England v Portugal a boring game at Villa Parkand we where sat in the corner where there was no roof. In his car coming back was gutted when i heard we had won 3-0.

I was late to Mansfield a train breaking down also

I don't think they ever released one due to us being financially in the doggy doo at the end of that season

yeah thats what I thought, hoping someone may have pinched the highlights from Latics World. What I would give for a season like that again...with a different ending obviously.

Speaking of highlights from that season, has anyone got a copy of all the games? Best season we have had since we have been in this sodding league and we never made a highlights video/dvd.

Got every goal recorded off Sky from the Notts County away win through to the Play Off 2nd leg highlights

Edited by oafcprozac

. It was only a few days after Rosie was born and things began to return to normal that the monumental gutting feelings took hold, with the realisation that we were in the :censored: and big time as Moore was about to pull the plug.

My realisation came about a month before when I knew that Moore was pulling the plug. Those two play off games were surreal as I knew for absolute certain that he was going regardless of the result and regardless of his populist grandstanding

Fantastic atmospheres in both but with that background knowledge I felt a little bit detached.

My realisation came about a month before when I knew that Moore was pulling the plug. Those two play off games were surreal as I knew for absolute certain that he was going regardless of the result and regardless of his populist grandstanding

Fantastic atmospheres in both but with that background knowledge I felt a little bit detached.

the most surreal thing was that I had a dream that Latics were going under the day before it was announced that Moore was pulling the plug

M**re was in the pub. Should of chinned the twonk would have been worth it.

When everyone was singing along with him, I challenged him, asking why he was making no plans for next season - his minders told me to ':censored: Off!' Big gorillas they were and his knob of a son…..

Edited by oafcprozac

Highlights of that year?

The 8 straight wins

Clint against the Dippers

10 men winning at Swindon

Winning at Derby

Win at West Ham

Coming from 2 down at Plymouth

Back to Back Away Wins at Crewe and Tranmere

Eyresey at Stockport

Fitz's pen at Mansfiield

Pog's preventing a cricket score when we finally lost an away game

Back to back 4 nillers at home v Chesterfield and Swindon

Andrews' first minute v Wigan

Carss strike at the Gay Farm

Eyresey sending the crowd into raptures in the Play Off 1st leg

Don't forget Laurenco's wonder goal against Huddersfield!

the most surreal thing was that I had a dream that Latics were going under the day before it was announced that Moore was pulling the plug

Once the club said it was skint we knew he was on his way out what shocked most fans was the way he did it.

Edited by oafctom

Once the club said it was skint we knew he was on his way out what shocked most fans was the way he did it.

his words on GMR prior to buggering off were "I'm not going to leave but I want additional investment of £1million per season from both the fans as well as other directors"

can't believe this was 10 years ago, where does it go?

I remember prior to the Home leg watching Doncaster clinch promotion to the Football League in the Old Grey Mare and loads of QPR fans were copying Beckham with the 'fin' haircuts

Edited by Tommy_Fent

It was horrible. I knew he was going and I knew he was in the pub at Loftus Road playing the martyr and still pretending to be t he hero.

Got it on VHS and managed to pick up a cheap video the other week, remind me later in the week and i'll stick it on Youtube - busy today, Shrewsbury later and lot on Weds and Thurs. Give me a nudge on Friday think i'm free as it stands so will do it then

Thanks - it will be good to see it again.

As for Moore, whilst I was skeptical, I wanted to believe him... til he was in the stand at Northampton - that did for me. I knew what was coming.

Edited by pukka

Best season in my memory by a long shot. Was right behind the goal Paul furlong scored in and my heart sank, I was one of those mongs they usually show on TV crying their eyes out! Mark Birchall and Chris Day dyed their hair blue, and got a lot of gay boy/boyfriend stick.

What I would give for away performances like that nowadays. Unbeaten until Bristol City, having more fans at Wigan than they did and they won the league that day, Starting the Pogliacomi song after his peno save at Tranmere, beating Crewe who had Dean Ashton and Rob Hulse up top (incidentally if wed won and not lost at home to Crewe, we would have been up in their place) Last minute penalty winner after Mansfield were reduced to 9 men, Josh Low becoming one of my favourite ever players at Notts County, Mart Poom being sent off, Eyresys free kick and Wijnhards penalty winner at Derby, Carlo rising highest at West Ham against a team including Carrick and Joe Cole, Getting a 1-1 draw at cardiff on a freezing cold Friday night thanks to a late goal by Eyresy, the comeback at Plymouth with 2 in space of 2 minutes, and of course the invasion after Eyres bagged the last minute free kick at Stockport.

And none of that includes Clyde 4 goals at home, Lourencos overhead kick to stuff the sheepshaggers, burying Swindon to cement our place in the playoffs and the fact we did most of this with David Beharall and Will Haining as part of our defense.

Some season that, and Im genuinely getting the same feeling towards next season as I did that year. We have got a lot of quality in our squad, a couple of additions ad the same winning mentality and who knows.

I was always nervous, it was surreal throwing this money around but the length of contracts worried me. 2-3 year deals were fine but giving long deals to Reeves, Killen, Appleby, Murray, Beharall, Holden, Clegg etc.. killed us as did paying big loan fees for Lourenco and Colusso etc….

The size of the squad and backroom staff at the start of 02/03 was ridiculous, off the top of my head the following came in under Moore...

Eyre

Balmer

Mini Shez

Hardy

Armstrong £200k +

Holden loan then made permanent Paid a fee

Gill £70k

Marc Richards loan

Julien Baudet

Allan Smart £225k

Paul Murray Fee?

David Beharall loan then permanent

Paul Rachubka loan

David Reeves loan then permanent £100k +

Matt Appleby loan then permanent Fee?

Michael Clegg loan then permanent Fee?

Andy Goram loan

Dele Adebola loan

Fitz Hall Fee

Cristian Colusso loan

Les Pogliacomi

Lourenco Da Silva loan

Chris Killen £200k+

Clint Hill £200k +

Clyde Wijnhard

Josh Low

Wayne Andrews

Brian Murphy GK loan

Ben Burgess loan

Duncan Roberts GK loan

Missed anyone out?

Wadsworth made Dickov look sensible!

Edited by oafcprozac

Seem to think andrews came on a small fee.

If Clint and Clyde would have not had a bad injury apiece we would have finished 2nd IMO. 9and obviously pogs)

Edited by pukka

That was an amazing night in terms of being a football fan. Remember travelling down with massive nerves and excitement. Incredibly tense game that could have gone either way. Tinderbox atmosphere as someone described it - perfect account.

It was a good season in terms of quality in this normally rubbish division. But I think that if you only watched the home games (as my Dad did) you had a different view - we had a pretty average / poor home record. But the away trips were amazing. And we secured a number of club records that season. But we rarely played expansive, exciting football. We were professional, and ground out results - Dowie in his first proper job did wonders, although we had some money.

The feeling at the end was up there with the Leeds Play-Off games, and the FA Cup semi-final(s) in terms of feeling totally gutted. England in 86, 90 and 96 are other moments where football has made me feel so low.

Remember that despite being a goal up at the end, QPR did not time-waste particularly. I was impressed by the approach of play the game. The other play-off that year was Bristol and Cardiff I think - I recall watching the second log on TV and being appalled by the time-wasting in comparison.

Amazing season that one. Anyone else at Ninian Park when Eyresy bagged the late equaliser................mental celebrations until everyone realised the thousands of baying taffs towards 200 away fans. Friday night if I recall right too. Followed up a few week later by hundreds celebrating Eyresy's late free kick on the pitch at Stockport.

That night at QPR was by far the best atmosphere i've seen against Latics. Awful feeling after the goal and the unreal save from Day right at the death. Didnt feel disappointed when we got beat off Blackpool a few seasons later in the playoffs as they completely dicked us.

Didnt Wijnhard bag six that season against Mansfield?

Always remember Hudds away last game of the season. 4,000 in the away end.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

That was an amazing night in terms of being a football fan. Remember travelling down with massive nerves and excitement. Incredibly tense game that could have gone either way. Tinderbox atmosphere as someone described it - perfect account.

It was a good season in terms of quality in this normally rubbish division. But I think that if you only watched the home games (as my Dad did) you had a different view - we had a pretty average / poor home record. But the away trips were amazing. And we secured a number of club records that season. But we rarely played expansive, exciting football. We were professional, and ground out results - Dowie in his first proper job did wonders, although we had some money.

The feeling at the end was up there with the Leeds Play-Off games, and the FA Cup semi-final(s) in terms of feeling totally gutted. England in 86, 90 and 96 are other moments where football has made me feel so low.

Remember that despite being a goal up at the end, QPR did not time-waste particularly. I was impressed by the approach of play the game. The other play-off that year was Bristol and Cardiff I think - I recall watching the second log on TV and being appalled by the time-wasting in comparison.

I think over the years we've seen various trends in style of play, recently it's been teams trying to copy Barcelona/Spain by trying to keep the ball, back then I seem to recall that some teams back then were notorious for timewasting the worst I ever saw was Cambridge the previous season to the play-off season when we equalised in the 97th minute

Amazing season that one. Anyone else at Ninian Park when Eyresy bagged the late equaliser................mental celebrations until everyone realised the thousands of baying taffs towards 200 away fans. Friday night if I recall right too. Followed up a few week later by hundreds celebrating Eyresy's late free kick on the pitch at Stockport.

That night at QPR was by far the best atmosphere i've seen against Latics. Awful feeling after the goal and the unreal save from Day right at the death. Didnt feel disappointed when we got beat off Blackpool a few seasons later in the playoffs as they completely dicked us.

Didnt Wijnhard bag six that season against Mansfield?

Always remember Hudds away last game of the season. 4,000 in the away end.

Think Clyde got 5?

Cardiff away was a frightener! Ben Burgess hit the bar I think?....... EYRESY!!!

Edited by pukka