Fanzine Questions

I've just got a couple of quick questions to all forum members, any responces will be very much appreciated.

Am i right in thinking that the last running paper fanzine at the club was 'Beyond the Boundary' which ended in 2005?

Also is anyone aware of any OAFC e-zines (online) fan magazines that are currently running or have not long siezed production?

Thanks in advance.

Ah...BTB. Used to love it.

Have most of them stuffed in a box in my Dad's loft I think.

Yep, Pete Mason is a legend, always remember the front cover "Cockahoop Ritchie".... I see Captain Cluless knocking around sometimes.... If you read this Pete come on and say hello...

Yep, Pete Mason is a legend, always remember the front cover "Cockahoop Ritchie".... I see Captain Cluless knocking around sometimes.... If you read this Pete come on and say hello...

My mate Dave who use to sell it outside the main stand brought him into to the pub after 8 months he told he was Captain clueless

I'm delighted people still remember BTB but I'm hardly a legend! I still look at some of the old issues - I don't know how we got away with some of the stuff we printed. The Town Hall Steps issue came about after we walked into the away end at Ewood Park. By the time we'd taken up our places behind the goal, we'd been given loads of articles, photo's etc and the Town Hall steps photo was amongst them. I've no idea who took the photo but it was brilliant.

We couldn't have picked a better time to start a fanzine - August 1989 and it was a fantastic buzz to sit in the Chaddy End at half time and watch people reading it.

Pete

I'm delighted people still remember BTB but I'm hardly a legend! I still look at some of the old issues - I don't know how we got away with some of the stuff we printed. The Town Hall Steps issue came about after we walked into the away end at Ewood Park. By the time we'd taken up our places behind the goal, we'd been given loads of articles, photo's etc and the Town Hall steps photo was amongst them. I've no idea who took the photo but it was brilliant.

We couldn't have picked a better time to start a fanzine - August 1989 and it was a fantastic buzz to sit in the Chaddy End at half time and watch people reading it.

Pete

I liked the article when you had someone addressing the audience and behind him was a banner saying something like " I am the way, truth and light of the world"... Then underneath you put that it was Alan Hardy addressing the staff..... Piss funny.

Edited by Lukers1

I was thinking that I may scan them to get electronic copies.

Not sure it would be as funny now as most of it was in the context of the events of the time.

What I will fork out though is the "are you a true football fan" quiz where questions were of the ilk, have you been to every home game in a season, had your partner wear a footie shirt during sex.

The sad thing is that the shrunken fanbase could no longer support an in-print fanzine, especially competing with the internet.

Absolutely spot-on. I did consider putting them all on line but I just didn't have the time. The height of BTB's popularity was the 91-92 season when we were out-selling the programme but compare that with the 2004 season when I was lucky to shift 300 and it gives you some idea of how low crowds and the internet affected it.

I'm genuinely touched that people would like to see its return but sorry, it's not going to happen.

Really interesting to read these responses! Especially from Pete Mason himself!

The reason behind me asking these questions is that I am planning on making it the main focus of my dissertation.

It's very much in the early stages, but I will be looking at why OAFC don't have a fanzine anymore, effects of new media ect ect.

Like I say it’s just in the planning stage, but further down the line I would be interested in talking to some of you, if anyone would be interested.

Thanking you all again, I knew my fellow fans wouldn’t let me down.

Andrew

I'm genuinely touched that people would like to see its return but sorry, it's not going to happen.

Oh go-on...go-on, go-on, go-on...GO-ON.

Big Joe was against BTB I seem to remember? Was it banned from being sold in the ground and club shop?

Edited by Witty

Really interesting to read these responses! Especially from Pete Mason himself!

The reason behind me asking these questions is that I am planning on making it the main focus of my dissertation.

It's very much in the early stages, but I will be looking at why OAFC don't have a fanzine anymore, effects of new media ect ect.

Like I say it’s just in the planning stage, but further down the line I would be interested in talking to some of you, if anyone would be interested.

Thanking you all again, I knew my fellow fans wouldn’t let me down.

Andrew

At the risk of sounding like a Daily HateMail reader, you're getting into God only knows how much debt to study why Latics don't have a fanzine? Strewth.

haha I completely understand why you would think that Stevie.... I often think that myself.

However saying that, Ive got to do it on something so I might aswell do it around the club I support.

And if it get's published it's free publicity for the club!