Biggest Let-Downs XI

This thread is for letdowns, most of that list more suited to the worst ever group.

As for Killen, you can twist his stats all you like, fact is he scored 22 in 88 while costing over a million quid in fees and wages.

if I was to list worst ever I'd include players like Maheta Molango, Lord Nidwa Kangana, David Lee etc i.e players who didn't have the ability to achieve. Letdowns to me are players who clearly had the ability but never achieved it almost all the players I've mentioned have achieved something at a higher level. Plus I'm not including Killen because like I said he spent most of the time injured, you can't blame a player for being injury prone no matter what ridiculous fee we paid for him when Chris Moore was steering us towards the Iceberg and of those 88 appearances I'm guessing at least half of those came from the bench. He showed his true ability in his final season bagging 15 in 30 games which kept us up, that to me was not what a letdown would have done

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl Serrant?! Seems a very left field choice unless you mean for Newcastle? (IMHO) He was fantastic for us - it was amazing how much he could shape the game from left back. We were spoilt in those days for left backs with Armstrong coming along so soon after.

Yeah, I thought that was an odd one, especially as he came in as a youngster do there wasn't really any expectation. He took a mean corner too; used to consistently whip it across the face of goal onto the far post.

The odd decent game, but these were mostly disappointing for me.

Mark Arber

Robb Scott

Delroy Facey

Rodney Jack

Neil Wood

John Thompson

Michael Ricketts

Greg Fleming

Steve Kabba

Dean Windass

Andy Todd

Jason Jarrett

Warren Feeney

Harry Bunn

Nicky Banger

John Keeley

Paul Moulden

Neil Tolson

Derek Brazil

Paul Kane

Edited by BP1960

Thanks BP1960 I was struggling to name Centre Backs, I can name my team now

GK. Andy Goram (2nd Spell)

RB. Michael Clegg

LB. Rob Scott

CB. John Thompson

CB. Mark Arber

RM. Rodney Jack

CM. Anthony Grant

CM. Wayne Gill

LM. Joe Colbeck

CF. Andrea Mancini

CF. Michael Ricketts

seb hines ... he was simply :censored:

I do find this funny!

My two Teams are Middlesbrough and Oldham, I remember Seb Hines playing for Oldham and yes he wasn't brilliant! but he is a quality centre back for Boro in the Championship! but I find it funny how :censored: he was here but is brilliant for Boro when Jonathan Grounds is talked up so much on here but for Boro he was terrible every time he played.

I know this will be controversial but I'dhave Rick Holden (2nd time round) in there.

Expectancy was huge. We thought we were signing the player that had left us a few years earlier. We weren't.

I'd also have Ian Olney in there. I don't think he was horrendous but probably came with higher expectation than any player in our history.

How the likes of Parker and Crowe get in here is beyond me - they weren't let downs, they were total, utter, irredeemable :censored:. Appleby and Swailes I think are very harsh. Swailes played for us in agony and probably did himself permanent harm to keep us from having Terrible on the pitch for 40 minutes here and there. I remember Appleby playing I think his first game in a decade against Spurs, he was like 5 men until he inevitably got :censored:ed, he would have been a great player for us.

Keigan Parker ripped us apart in the 07 play-offs, so my expectations were raised when he signed - he was turd and a massive let down.

How the likes of Parker and Crowe get in here is beyond me - they weren't let downs, they were total, utter, irredeemable :censored:. Appleby and Swailes I think are very harsh. Swailes played for us in agony and probably did himself permanent harm to keep us from having Terrible on the pitch for 40 minutes here and there. I remember Appleby playing I think his first game in a decade against Spurs, he was like 5 men until he inevitably got :censored:ed, he would have been a great player for us.

As mentioned before, Parker tore us a new one in the 2007 play-offs and I remember Dean Crowe being a handfull whilst playing for Stoke (he was also an amazing lower league striker on Championship Manager)

Parker was brilliant against us for Huddersfield and Blackpool, so seemed a brilliant signing at the time. Then he started spending full days in the bookies I worked in and ate KFC 3 times a day.