Biggest Let-Downs XI

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the twins mcniven

As they were products of the youth team, I dont think you can class them as a "let down" unless

they were tipped at the outset for greatness ?

A let down for this thread is someone who promised greatly (be it form/experience at previous club or £fee paid), but faded into the wallpaper as soon as they turned up at Boundary Park.

As they were products of the youth team, I dont think you can class them as a "let down" unless

they were tipped at the outset for greatness ?

A let down for this thread is someone who promised greatly (be it form/experience at previous club or £fee paid), but faded into the wallpaper as soon as they turned up at Boundary Park.

Colbeck £60k wouldn't have brought him for 60 buttons.

Add Chris Swailes, played for Rotherham in the Chanpionship. Barely played for us.

Worthington, had been decent for Huddersfield pre-money at this level. Poor (at best) for us, plus let's not mention his add-ons.

Andy Goram (second spell) had played for United the previous season. Plus he was Andy Goram, only the other Andy Goram turned up. Can still remember the Cardiff fans singing "Thank you very much for Andy Goram"

Edited by rudemedic

And I'll throw it back at you... without his goals in 05 (along with Becketts), we'd have gone down...

Wouldn't disagree with that, 22 goals in 88 games though, that's nobody's idea of a roaring success, especially given how much he cost - £13,000 per game played according to Wiki!

Craig Davies? Behave son, the guy was binned off by incompetent management after scoring a decent number up front on his own.

Madness.

Toddy is harsh too. Though crap, when he scored once the scoreboard (remember that?) flashed up a "hot Toddy" graphic which was class.

He didnt trouble the scoreboard operators that often, 1 goal in 4 years !

One of his rare excellent displays was in our win at Maine Road in 99.

Carl Serrant?! Seems a very left field choice unless you mean for Newcastle? (IMHO) He was fantastic for us - it was amazing how much he could shape the game from left back. We were spoilt in those days for left backs with Armstrong coming along so soon after.

Oh and my biggest, aside from the already-mentioned David Currie, was Ryan Sugden. I thought he was fantastic in the reserves and seemed a goal machine at the time. I thought we had a player of real promise on our books, but he never quite managed to fulfil it. Let down probably isn't the right term, though - I was as disappointed for him as I was for us.

Rob Purdie, Keigan Parker, Pavel Abbot, Dean Brill, Dean Windass, Lee Barnard, Jon Worthington, Ritchie Jones, Chris Swailes, Joe Colbeck, Neal Trotman and there's bound to be more from when I've been a season ticket holder but they came off top of my head.

I know it's all about opinions but I have to say I've seen some silly suggestions here. Abbot scored a third of our goals in a very poor side without even playing a full season, without him we would have gone down. Davies despite a number of fans not liking his personality didn't actually do that bad (bagged 15 goals). Killen had a goal to games ratio in his final season as 1 in every 2 games it wasn't his fault he was injured, in fact I don't think it's fair including injury prone players full stop.

Ones that stick out for me include Andrea Mancini, Wayne Gill, Anthony Grant, Andy Goram (2nd spell), Brett Ormerod, Ben Burgess, Michael Clegg, Keigan Parker, Carlos Rocca, Wes WIlkinson, Rob Lee, Dean Windass, Ben Amos, Andy Holdsworth, Jon Worthington, Joe Colbeck, Dean Crowe, Paul Beavers, Junior Agogo (notice how most of them were strikers)

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I know it's all about opinions but I have to say I've seen some silly suggestions here. Abbot scored a third of our goals in a very poor side without even playing a full season, without him we would have gone down. Davies despite a number of fans not liking his personality didn't actually do that bad (bagged 15 goals). Killen had a goal to games ratio in his final season as 1 in every 2 games it wasn't his fault he was injured, in fact I don't think it's fair including injury prone players full stop.

Ones that stick out for me include Andrea Mancini, Wayne Gill, Anthony Grant, Andy Goram (2nd spell), Brett Ormerod, Ben Burgess, Michael Clegg, Keigan Parker, Carlos Rocca, Wes WIlkinson, Rob Lee, Dean Windass, Ben Amos, Andy Holdsworth, Jon Worthington, Joe Colbeck, Dean Crowe, Paul Beavers, Junior Agogo (notice how most of them were strikers)

This thread is for letdowns, most of that list more suited to the worst ever group.

As for Killen, you can twist his stats all you like, fact is he scored 22 in 88 while costing over a million quid in fees and wages.

Top scorer whose goals kept us up. Sold on for a fee to a bigger club.

Massive let down

Agreed, never understood why anybody thought Abbott was a failure here. His goals and hold up play along with Gregan's heroics at the back were the only reasons we survived that season.

How the likes of Parker and Crowe get in here is beyond me - they weren't let downs, they were total, utter, irredeemable :censored:. Appleby and Swailes I think are very harsh. Swailes played for us in agony and probably did himself permanent harm to keep us from having Terrible on the pitch for 40 minutes here and there. I remember Appleby playing I think his first game in a decade against Spurs, he was like 5 men until he inevitably got :censored:ed, he would have been a great player for us.