I dont know if this has come up in discussion (probably someone somewhere will post a link with a dancing padlock because they are cocks) but would you let Baxter go now for big money - probably 750k upwards because he is contracted for 2 more years, hang on for a season in which we might not go up and be in the same position next year albeit with only a year left so would be looking at more like 300k or give it a good go and see him leave for free in 2 years time at which point we will probably still be in this god forsaken league and he will probably want out and we get diddly squat (barring a tribunal).

I preferably wouldnt want to see Baxter leave at all (hopefully go up, he loves it and signs a 30 year contract which will se him become manager/chairman/local drug lord who runs the town), but in 2 years time we could be sat here in the same situation only we now have equally as much dosh to spend and a squad that is a quality star lighter.

When would be the right time for the club to 'cash in' on our main playing asset.

If we were to sell him now the money coming in would go into the same black hole as where the Liverpool & Everton cup money went,i.e paying off an amount of the debt owed.Personally,I'd rather see him with us in a blue shirt doing his thing and hopefully contributing to pushing us up the table towards promotion between now and when his contract expires,even at the risk of getting nowt for him in 2015.

I dont know if this has come up in discussion (probably someone somewhere will post a link with a dancing padlock because they are cocks) but would you let Baxter go now for big money - probably 750k upwards because he is contracted for 2 more years, hang on for a season in which we might not go up and be in the same position next year albeit with only a year left so would be looking at more like 300k or give it a good go and see him leave for free in 2 years time at which point we will probably still be in this god forsaken league and he will probably want out and we get diddly squat (barring a tribunal).

I preferably wouldnt want to see Baxter leave at all (hopefully go up, he loves it and signs a 30 year contract which will se him become manager/chairman/local drug lord who runs the town), but in 2 years time we could be sat here in the same situation only we now have equally as much dosh to spend and a squad that is a quality star lighter.

When would be the right time for the club to 'cash in' on our main playing asset.

Right mr corney, come on....... Who's bid and how much?

He will still be under 24 when his contract runs out in 2015 so unless we get offered silly money, keep hold of him, then offer him a new contract again in 2015...he then signs and we carry on or he says no and moves on, in which case we would be entitled to at least some compensation!

Speculate to accumulate and take the risk by rejecting any incoming bids!

Judging from the earnings that came from the FA Cup run, any money we made from selling Baxter wouldn't go to the playing budget. Therefore we will have essentially lost our best player and we'd certainly struggle to replace him with anybody near his standard, especially on a free or for very small transfer fee. Anyway, we'll recoup money from him if he leaves when his contract runs out so even if he stays there''s almost guaranteed money.

If there is still ambition that promotion is possible then let LJ keep Baxter and build a team...

Edited by NewBlue

Another year with us could allow him to develop massively as a player also, so even though he would have a year less on his contract, we could still demand a similar fee to what we could now due to increased experience and ability that he doesn't quite have yet.

For me no - if we want to have a good season (first time for a bit) and trying to get out of the division we need to keep our best players.

Need Money - yes but success should bring more crowds and possible we could get another good cup run.

It is a risk as things may not work out - however if we do sell our best player every time we will never progress so Jose has to stay.

I think we need to keep him this season, lets see where we are in Jan, if any progress has been made.

That said, just for you:

:locker: :locker: :locker: :locker: :locker: :locker: :locker: :locker: :locker: :locker: :locker: :locker:

Oldham's Heisenberg!

He is the one who knocks...the ball past defenders!

The money from the liverpool game was funnelled straight to the contract for Baxter, with the idea of selling him on in 12-18months for a sizable fee, so I imagine he'll be gone in January at the latest.

*source was a friend at the club.

The money from the liverpool game was funnelled straight to the contract for Baxter, with the idea of selling him on in 12-18months for a sizable fee, so I imagine he'll be gone in January at the latest.

Nobody wanted him for nowt last summer, likewise in January - be very surprised if he isn't here for the full season.

How to contradict yourself in the same post. 18 months from Jan 2013 is not Jan 2014.