Fan Ownership

Has anyone ever actually sat down with SC to establish what the club is actually up for sale for???

Would a fans group be able to run the club like Portsmouth?

Would he actually sit down and have a discussion with the fans?

Think fans ownership only works where clubs have regular big attendances (Pompey) and/or a ground with facilities that bring cash in throughout the year. At the moment we have neither.

It also relies on someone having expertise. I'll be interested to see how Pompey go. You can have a lot a good people trying their best but its no guarantee that the business side of things works without some experience.

I'm not convinced that we have enough fans to contribute to the running of the club.

Once the new stand is built and if it is proved to make the club self-sufficient as income is more than out-goings, then it would be possible.

And that's a big if.

The new stand won't enable the club to break even. It's not big enough to house enough income generating business

get real people please . 99% of fans moan about paying 20 quid a fortnight into the club to see matches .how are they going to find tens of thousands to pay wages every week ? how many run a business as big as athletic ?

fans owning their clubs sounds like a great idea but in practise its almost always a disaster .

see stockport county .

Yes Barca are fan owned but still rely on massive income from sponsorship &100Euro tickets & income from the Champs League & money from stadium tours & negotiating their own tv deal & other revenue streams.

That's without mentioning their huge staff of experts who they can attract and pay with said funds.

Slight difference

Wasn't for a second comparing latics and barca lol. Just thought heard before that they were fan owned. I may also mention they owe through their nose in debt of transfers, makes a mockery that they can sign players when in debt and disrupt players by saying Barca are after you when they cant even afford a deal like with Fabregas for instance they over almost 50% of the transfer fee still

Has anyone ever actually sat down with SC to establish what the club is actually up for sale for???

Would a fans group be able to run the club like Portsmouth?

Would he actually sit down and have a discussion with the fans?

Unfortunately we didn't even manage to drum up more than 100 fans to pay a £1 per week into Playershare IIRC.

Just do not think it would work, far to often fans seem to be at each others throat. Unless we have a group of fans with plenty of money we struggle fact current crowds have reflected that.

Remember Port Vale where ran by the fans but ended up in administration, Brentford where bought out but still have a say.

Edited by oafctom

I can assure all our fans that the reality of the situation regarding a 100% fans take over is unrealisitc if you want to preserve league status over a prolonged period.

If you are faced with no other option, even then, you would need the support of business and finance alike.

Portsmouth Football Club is not wholly being run by the fans group. There are about 6 other business men assisting the running of the club.

It is not about expertise but is reliant on cash flow and input.

Quite simply you can only spend what comes in and the revenue stfreams at Oldham are such that the wage bill for players would be very low.

I am not being totally honest with fans in this respect.

Barry

I can assure all our fans that the reality of the situation regarding a 100% fans take over is unrealisitc if you want to preserve league status over a prolonged period.

If you are faced with no other option, even then, you would need the support of business and finance alike.

Portsmouth Football Club is not wholly being run by the fans group. There are about 6 other business men assisting the running of the club.

It is not about expertise but is reliant on cash flow and input.

Quite simply you can only spend what comes in and the revenue stfreams at Oldham are such that the wage bill for players would be very low.

I am not being totally honest with fans in this respect.

Barry

Have I misread that last sentence?..

Fan ownership?! What those those sponsors that jumped on the bandwagon in the fa cup whose sponsorship was pulled the minute the final whistle was blown, do me a favour and :censored: off.

Which sponsors are you talking about?