Korey Smith

I reckon given our upturn in form once Wes was crocked & the partnership of Smith and Mellor proving the catalyst for survival - I don't think Wes will be anywhere near our starting line-up.... I think that's the way to go. Energy, Strength and a goal threat rather than pissfannying side, to side and backwards that served us so well...

Good job Claude Makelele never played for Latics.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job Claude Makelele never played for Latics.

Exactly.

The individual players themselves were not the problems - it was collectively. Wes and Furman together doesn't work. I think wes with someone playing infront of him would do... didn't he play a considerable number of games for a successful peterborough side?

Edited by pukka

I really like the idea of having 2 of Wes, Smith, Mellor holding with Baxter floating in front and pick from Dayton, Clarke-Harris, Montano, Sidney out wide....loads of pace, Baxter finding the holes and doing what he does best and Smith +1 building a base behind that.

I really think someone like Barnard who will work hard and get on the end of things would score 20+ given the service

I really like the idea of having 2 of Wes, Smith, Mellor holding with Baxter floating in front and pick from Dayton, Clarke-Harris, Montano, Sidney out wide....loads of pace, Baxter finding the holes and doing what he does best and Smith +1 building a base behind that.

I really think someone like Barnard who will work hard and get on the end of things would score 20+ given the service

I think the chances of barnard wanting to return to bp lie between zero and less

I reckon given our upturn in form once Wes was crocked & the partnership of Smith and Mellor proving the catalyst for survival - I don't think Wes will be anywhere near our starting line-up.... I think that's the way to go. Energy, Strength and a goal threat rather than pissfannying side, to side and backwards that served us so well...

The "pissfannying" from side to side and backwards passing was under Dickov's reign though.I suspect LJ will give Wes the license to get forward more.

In my opinion Wes is the better defensive midfielder of the three and will be first choice with Smith.

Great signing but where are people getting that he offers a goal threat from ? To label smith and wes as 'completely different players ' because smith can play at right back and has an extra yard of pace is nonsense.

Two holding midfielders is fine with me as it frees up Jose to do what he does best in the 'number 10' role . We will be better balanced on the wings next year too with Dayton/monty on the left instead of mchangama/Simpson which will result in better outlets for the central players .

Ole ole ole ole , ole ole ole ole korey smith smith smith .

The "pissfannying" from side to side and backwards passing was under Dickov's reign though.I suspect LJ will give Wes the license to get forward more.

In my opinion Wes is the better defensive midfielder of the three and will be first choice with Smith.

Wes is a fantastic player if there is a 50/50 ball directly in the centre of the field, if not hes useless. If a ball is to his feet without pressure the likeliness of him launching it is almost up there with Mvotos, and his support for full backs is non existent. As much as Furman has his haters he was always there as an outlet for full backs cutting out the long launch up the line, and also giving the like of Brown whos only young a bit more confidence when he can find feet and not get howls of abuse for knocking it into touch. Wes doesn't do that, although he does tend to find himself in the channel himself occasionally, but obviously his end product was garbage last season. His goald to games ratio is also crap, especially considering you know he can do it, Southend away, PNE away and a couple of chances at the likes of Tranmere last year where he ballooned wide in a good area.

Smith is younger, fitter, more composed on the ball and can pick a pass out much easier than Wes can. Mellor is younger, more composed on the ball, more likely to pick out a latics shirt and also doesn't mind putting a foot in. Given a year together and a bit of strengthening and these 2 could be a fantastic CM pairing with a nice left foot right foot balance. Effectively I could have summed this up quicker by saying ':censored: Wesolowski hes :censored:!'

So now all of a sudden wes is deemed as :censored: by a fair few on this board . This time last year we were all chuffed we'd tied him down for two years . People criticising his distribution. we've had far far worse . Who was it who drove out with the ball to start the move for smiths second against Liverpool ?

Just because we now have smith ,mellor and wes all vying for two spots why does one have to get slammed ? All healthy competition and be interesting to see mellor and wes with a proper pre season behind them both .

So now all of a sudden wes is deemed as :censored: by a fair few on this board . This time last year we were all chuffed we'd tied him down for two years . People criticising his distribution. we've had far far worse . Who was it who drove out with the ball to start the move for smiths second against Liverpool ?

Just because we now have smith ,mellor and wes all vying for two spots why does one have to get slammed ? All healthy competition and be interesting to see mellor and wes with a proper pre season behind them both .

+1

It'll be interesting to see how well Mellor does if he gets the opportunity of an extended run in the side for more than just half a dozen or so games.

Just gonna let you know I've thought Wesolowski was :censored: all pretty much all last season, he was a far different player the season before. The Liverpool game was perfect for him because it was a bit scrappy in the middle, until Gerrard came on and changed the whole outlook.

It's not hate re: Wes he's very useful when playing a containing game but his performances in march and early April were dire even when we desperately needed to grab games by the scruff of the neck and seize the initiative.

If we are to avoid another season of struggle we need to have a go at teams from the off.

Unless we're going 3 in midfield or playing a deep lying CM, Wes would not be in my line up. Nothing personal but teams change and outlooks evolve

Edited by oafcprozac

Exactly.

The individual players themselves were not the problems - it was collectively. Wes and Furman together doesn't work. I think wes with someone playing infront of him would do... didn't he play a considerable number of games for a successful peterborough side?

2 from 3 in Wes, Smith & Mellor.

For me; for now - that 2 would be Wes as DCM and Smith as a box to box CM; with Mellor ready & waiting in the wings.

Feckin' buzzing at this though; didn't for one minute think we had a chance of signing Smith...

but that's all he is.

Mellor and Smith can tackle and play a bit.

I disagree with you there.I think Wes can play a bit as well as being the better player of the three defensively.

I think it's common knowledge that Wes and Furman were both stifled by Dickov's tactics last season meaning we saw little of their abilities going forward.

With LJ now in charge employing his own more attack-minded tactics we should see Wes given more freedom backing up Smith to push forward.