New Stand Ownership

I have been told from someone inside the club that OAFC will not own any part of the new shand, yes you will say none of BP is owned by the club, however I am talking about whats in the stand, like the conference room, the bar, the offices, the gym and what ever else goes in will be owned by another business that is not Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd (or whatever it is)

Basically all the new revenue streams will be going to Corney and his old chums.

The only increase in revenue to the club will be from punters and the boxes but you could see Corney ring fencing some of them for himself if they are all sold.

Does Corney charge the club rent at present?

I would imagine it will be a set up like today where the bars and snack bars are rented out to people wanting to run them.

I can't see the conferencing facilities being operated that way, I would imagine they will be hired out on a daily basis to those wishing to use them.

No not like today where the club rent the space out.

This will all be run from a seperate business which will own the stand. So no rent coming into OAFC. This seperate business will own it all and the club will not receive anything apart from the gate, which SC thinks will increase with the better facilities.

SC is trying to make his money back, the conference room will hold between 300-400 people and you can charge a very good hourly rate for this. However the club will not see the money, but the clubs staff will run it....

THIS IS FACT this is not a made up rumour

No surprise that it will be operated as a separate business. I'd expect the caterers for the conferencing to be responsible for match day pies.

I'd expect those paying for it to want a return on their investment.

Edited by opinions4u

I wouldn't say that's to the benefit of the club personally. In fact how does it increase revenue streams into the club? we had that ability regarding more punters to games with the old lookers.

there is no benefit to the club, he cant come out and say im building a new stand to benefit myself can he.

Untimatly if someone comes in to buy the lot his asset is worth more with the stand than it is now, however the actual club will not see any increased revenue from the stand apart from if more people turn up

I wouldn't say that's to the benefit of the club personally. In fact how does it increase revenue streams into the club? we had that ability regarding more punters to games with the old lookers.

I may have mis-interpretted your post here. Corney thinks that the improved facilities (which werent available in the old lookers) in the new stand will attract more punters. Furthermore, i bet the upkeep costs and essential maintenance of the lookers were getting close to whatever that stand could have pulled in money-wise.

Corney has stated he doesn't think the new stand will improve attendances, twice he's said the same thing. He's a businessman that simply doesn't understand his customer base even after ten years.....and doesn't want to....

I don't think it will.

No one, surely, is going to say I ahve not been to Oldham for 5 years, but I will go as they have a nice new stand, will they?

the only thing that will sigificantly increase our customer base is success on the pitch.

I know some get an increase from a brand new stadium, but that might not last long without success on the pitch eg Colchester.

YOu know more than most he has backed his managers.

350+ players shows that,

I agree with him, the stand in itself will not increase attendances, people are not going to come back due to having a new piece of plastic on which to park their bum.

Where it may have an effect on attendances is putting cash into the pocket of the people that own the club who may then decide to spend a bit more on the playing budget which in turn may see an improvement in results which may then see an increase in attendances.

I have been told from someone inside the club that OAFC will not own any part of the new shand, yes you will say none of BP is owned by the club, however I am talking about whats in the stand, like the conference room, the bar, the offices, the gym and what ever else goes in will be owned by another business that is not Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd (or whatever it is)

Basically all the new revenue streams will be going to Corney and his old chums.

The only increase in revenue to the club will be from punters and the boxes but you could see Corney ring fencing some of them for himself if they are all sold.

It all depends who ultimately owns the co that operates the new stand. It would not suprise me if there were tax advantages to operating the new stand.

So if we work closely with the NHS ( as was origianlly mooted), it could conceivably operate as a Trust staus saving all the VAT.

An example, not an explanation.

There is simply not enough information in what you have said to make a judgement.

No-one has any real idea if this is true (no sources named) but it's worth pointing out that if the stand is run as a business then at least that separate business will be responsible for it's upkeep rather than the club's finances suffering because we can't get enough gym memberships through the door or the bar doesn't make enough during the week. Any additional welcome to the club is welcome and if that is through attendances then that's OK with me especially as we'll get an improved ground out of it.

If a new stand is good enough to generate enough profit for an outside/stand alone company to make money and maintain it, then so it is for the club. The ground should be the clubs. We've been down this road before where the club didn't own the ground and I don't want it going there again. No wonder Cool cash went cold on the idea. Who would want to buy/takeover the club when all the land around it is Brassbanks to do as it deems fit and your revenue streams stand being controlled via someone else.

If this is true am reaching fed up and sick of it all stage. I don't want to hear but they're business men and they want this and that back. They knew what football was and football clubs. I just want OAFC to go back to the club I starting following all them years ago. Boundary Park with it's stand and carpark, just run better! not bit's abd bats like a patchwork quilt all in the name of business men.

If you want to get involved own/run a football club accept you'll lose money unless you build it into a club that can reach and stay in the Prem and hawk it around the middle east.

Edited by Lags

I thought the whole point of a new stand was to increase the revenue going into the football club so that more could be spent on players producing a virtuous cycle of improved performances and improved attendance and so on. If the stand is being run as a separate business with only the gate money going to the football club it could improve the match day experience but reduce the revenue stream to the football club. Why is it that every new dawn gets snuffed out by rain clouds?

This is not surprising. The new stand will be part of the ground. The ground is owned by Brassbank (i.e. Blitz and Gazal). Hence, the new stand will be owned by Brassbank.

As for the other bits, I would expect them to be licensed to parties who run such things on a day-to-day basis, which will bring revenue for the club (should TTA choose to channel it that way).

I thought the whole point of a new stand was to increase the revenue going into the football club so that more could be spent on players producing a virtuous cycle of improved performances and improved attendance and so on. If the stand is being run as a separate business with only the gate money going to the football club it could improve the match day experience but reduce the revenue stream to the football club. Why is it that every new dawn gets snuffed out by rain clouds?

This is my point..... only passing on the information that i have been given.

This is not surprising. The new stand will be part of the ground. The ground is owned by Brassbank (i.e. Blitz and Gazal). Hence, the new stand will be owned by Brassbank.

As for the other bits, I would expect them to be licensed to parties who run such things on a day-to-day basis, which will bring revenue for the club (should TTA choose to channel it that way).

agreed on the stand being part of Brassbank, but didnt expect the gym memberships, conference rental, etc to go to Brassbank soley, not after all the talk of the club needing these revenue streams. The club needs it in SC view just so he doesnt :censored: off

There is more detail in my grand-kids pocket money. The only outcome is that it will benefit the club any-which-way. A circa £15 million investment needs some serious potential for an income stream in any ones book. FIFTEEN MILLION POUNDS, that's a lot of someone else's dosh. The conference centre alone could introduce several score of business's a year to the club. The new stand is an essential prerequisite to any new buyer I would have thought. FIFTEEN MILLION POUNDS. If every living soul in the town gave £100 that would just about cover it. I suppose we could stick with the bloody big hole we have now, how much does that bring in? The piper calls the tune is a very apt saying sometimes.

agreed on the stand being part of Brassbank, but didnt expect the gym memberships, conference rental, etc to go to Brassbank soley, not after all the talk of the club needing these revenue streams. The club needs it in SC view just so he doesnt :censored: off

As an example, gym memberships would go to whichever company decides to put a gym there whether that is Virgin, Pure Gym, Lifestyle Fitness, or another. Given the required outlay on equipment for these things, it'd be ridiculous for the club not to let a franchise run that bit of the business. Virgin pulled out of the gym I use and another company came in and did a £1.2m refit - they now charge £17 per month for membership and have staffing & maintenance costs. I'd rather another business took that kind of risk.

This is exactly why nobody will buy us. This is why Vaughan pulled out and gave the club the chance to pretend they wouldnt sell to him. This is also why the doctor wont be buying us either. Imagine if you went to buy a house then you found out that the price doesnt inlude the garden, you had to pay extra for the roof, and rent your driveway off the previous owner.

Also I believe that the gym wont make any money anyway because it hasnt got a pool, like the one over the road has.

As an example, gym memberships would go to whichever company decides to put a gym there whether that is Virgin, Pure Gym, Lifestyle Fitness, or another. Given the required outlay on equipment for these things, it'd be ridiculous for the club not to let a franchise run that bit of the business. Virgin pulled out of the gym I use and another company came in and did a £1.2m refit - they now charge £17 per month for membership and have staffing & maintenance costs. I'd rather another business took that kind of risk.

Yes, but who gets the rent?

It all depends who ultimately owns the co that operates the new stand. It would not suprise me if there were tax advantages to operating the new stand.

So if we work closely with the NHS ( as was origianlly mooted), it could conceivably operate as a Trust staus saving all the VAT.

An example, not an explanation.

There is simply not enough information in what you have said to make a judgement.

The club will be able to recover the VAT back through their VAT return, though there could be other tax advantages yes.

There is an issue of course re. borrowing money to help pay for any shortfall. OAFC 2004 may struggle to get a loan/mortgage whereas another company wouldn't have the same issue.