FL125 Greatest Manager

Vote for Oldham's greatest manager here;

http://www.fl125.co.uk/oldham-athletic

The nominees are;

David Ashworth - The manager who took the Latics into The Football League. He took them to promotion and establish themselves in the First Division.

Jimmy Frizzell – Frizzell managed the team from 1970-82 and took them from the Fourth to Second Divisions.

George Hardwick - The former England international helped the Latics win the Third Division (North) title in the 1952/53 season.

Joe Royle - The most successful manager in the club's history, Royle led them to the First Division and to become founder members of the Premier League and two Wembley appearances during 12 years as manager.

John Sheridan - The popular Sheridan guided the Latics to the League 1 Play-Offs.

Frizz was before my time but two promotions, including a club record 10 straight wins, winning the Ford Sporting League and taking the club from Fourth Division to Second Division Stability shouldn't be scoffed at. Add in bums on seats players such as Fryatt, Shaw, Groves, Stainrod etc…. and if you're 45+ the vote will not be so clear cut I reckon.

For me Royle all day, but Frizz lay the foundations and Royle built on that stable 2nd tier status over a number of years...

Edited by oafcprozac

Vote for Oldham's greatest manager here;

http://www.fl125.co.uk/oldham-athletic

The nominees are;

David Ashworth - The manager who took the Latics into The Football League. He took them to promotion and establish themselves in the First Division.

Jimmy Frizzell – Frizzell managed the team from 1970-82 and took them from the Fourth to Second Divisions.

George Hardwick - The former England international helped the Latics win the Third Division (North) title in the 1952/53 season.

Joe Royle - The most successful manager in the club's history, Royle led them to the First Division and to become founder members of the Premier League and two Wembley appearances during 12 years as manager.

John Sheridan - The popular Sheridan guided the Latics to the League 1 Play-Offs.

No Herbert Bamlett?

You cannot vote for arguably the major contender to Royle's de facto win.

Herbert Bamlett guided us to 2nd in the top flight in 1914-15. That is almost guaranteed to be our best ever finish.

Exactly

I love Sheridan but how can he even be in there?

Poorly researched as ever with these things

Frizz was before my time but two promotions, including a club record 10 straight wins, winning the Ford Sporting League and taking the club from Fourth Division to Second Division Stability shouldn't be scoffed at. Add in bums on seats players such as Fryatt, Shaw, Groves, Stainrod etc…. and if you're 45+ the vote will not be so clear cut I reckon.

For me Royle all day, but Frizz lay the foundations and Royle built on that stable 2nd tier status over a number of years...

It really is a hard choice between the two. We are privileged to have had the two of them in succession, each achieving great success. I think the nearest comparison would be Shankly and Paisley at Liverpool.

I'll say that Royle!s achievements amazed and delighted and were under the spotlight of much more media focus but Frizz's were just as noteworthy. My heart says Joe and I'll go with that.

You cannot vote for arguably the major contender to Royle's de facto win.

Herbert Bamlett guided us to 2nd in the top flight in 1914-15. That is almost guaranteed to be our best ever finish.

Big Joe all the way, but i am a little gobsmacked by Bert's absence from this list.

Bamlett took over in June 1914 and inherited what was apparently a good team (it had finished 4th) so maybe his achievement was not that immense. Yes it was our highest ever finish (so far :) ) but the starting point was a strong one.

Edited by LaticsPete

Bamlett took over in June 1914 and inherited what was apparently a good team (it had finished 4th) so maybe his achievement was not that immense. Yes it was our highest ever finish (so far :) ) but the starting point was a strong one.

He kept us in the top flight after the war for 3 seasons too. At a quick glance only about 40% of that squad was the same as pre-war.

He certainly deserved a nomination in my view, but as I didn't nominate him myself I can't complain too heavily.

Did money matter back then or was it a real level playing field?

Shaw was the richest town in the country at the time.

What did Dowie accomplish at Oldham that Shez didn't with less dosh?

Knocked out in the in the play off semis.

Neither should be in the voting for Oldham greatest.

Edited by palmer1

What did Dowie accomplish at Oldham that Shez didn't with less dosh?

Knocked out in the in the play off semis.

Neither should be in the voting for Oldham greatest.

Royle for me without any doubt. Gave me some unbelievable memories but for younger fans those memories might have happened under Dowie or Shez.

Royle for me without any doubt. Gave me some unbelievable memories but for younger fans those memories might have happened under Dowie or Shez.

Yeah I appreciate what you are saying but its not who gave the best memories to a few, It Oldhams greatest which no matter how you look at it - Shez and Dowie just are not in the running.

Just as English football was becoming a global phenomenon Joe Royle put us bang in the middle of it beating household names on a weekly basis

1 Littlewoods cup final

2 FA Cup semis (plus replays) against the biggest club in the world

3 years in the top flight,

2 in the Premier League.

He put Oldham on the map and no matter how you look at things no other manager in the history of the club can touch that whether it was 10 years ago or nearly a hundred years ago.

We have had some good managers and we have had some poor managers but we have only ever had one GREAT manager Mr Joe Royle

Jimmy (Mr Oldham Athletic) Frizzell every time. He saved the club from having to go through re-election (failure to get re-elected could have meant non-league period), two promotions and the Ford Stand.

Big Joe gave us the 'pinch me' seasons, but he built on firm foundations set up by Jimmy Frizzell.