I can't see any more signings at full back. Brown seems to be first choice (I'm not getting involved in that debate) with Winchester as backup. Grounds is clearly first choice at left back, I guess with Truelove as backup. Yes he's young, but he can step in until a loan signing is brought in if Grounds is injured or out of form. I don't think we have the budget for a squad with two experienced left backs permanently in place.

At centre back I agree with Stevie - Tarky is't the finished article, Byrne lacks pace, and Belezika and Joksts clearly aren't ready to play most of a season. (Belezika needs a loan spell a division or two down to help his development, I reckon.) I can see us bringing in someone on loan like Reece Brown previously - talented but inexperienced - but only a permanent signing if Byrne moves on.

I'm up for sending youngsters who arn't ready to be part of the first-team squad out on loan but with Belezika playing we've won two and drawn one. Keep him here and let him fight for his place, I reckon.

We definitely need an experienced centre-back to partner either Belezika or Tarky. Unfortunately, I think it needs to be someone a bit better than Byrne, who could be cover the "experienced" role.

Edited by JoeP

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that but at the moment he is 4th choice with even mellor picked ahead of him in pre season could see him 5th choice. A loan move could actually be make or break for him, if he comes back stronger, otherwise he could just sit down the pecking order all season and then get released al la ryan brooke

I understand that but at the moment he is 4th choice with even mellor picked ahead of him in pre season could see him 5th choice. A loan move could actually be make or break for him, if he comes back stronger, otherwise he could just sit down the pecking order all season and then get released al la ryan brooke

I don't think you can really tell the pecking order just from pre-season games.

Hoping the Mellor centre-back experiment won't be revisited - what a waste of a talented midfielder.

Our defence is :censored: and has been for years. Every season I've drummed on that the defence needs sorting out big time.

In one season we had Gregan, Hazell, Trotman, Stam, John Thompson (okay he was :censored:), Bertrand, Eardley and Lomax to choose from.

We're a million miles from having that quality and depth.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Our defence is :censored: and has been for years. Every season I've drummed on that the defence needs sorting out big time.

In one season we had Gregan, Hazell, Trotman, Stam, John Thompson (okay he was :censored:), Bertrand, Eardley and Lomax to choose from.

We're a million miles from having that quality and depth.

Our goals against was mid table last season.

Goals for were the problem.

(This post in no way means I don't think Dickov was :censored:)

I think we're relying on Lee Johnson's ability to bring the best out of any youngsters thrown in to the team.

Hopefully the fans will be patient!

of course they will be patient, 1 bad half by a young player it will be carnage on here.

LJ has a handshake deal for the young Liverpool CB . his name is Sama or something like that . signing Monday , barring an epidemic at pool . LJ refers to the deal on player . stop fretting we had a decent defensive record last season . fact. we have only lost one of that defense since then . plus Byrne can play RB , admitted he is too slow but he is experienced .

we have a new kit , new sponsors , new 3rd kit , a new stand going up , new coaches , new manager and we haven't lost a game yet.

stop fretting and start getting behind the team .

I agree.

I'm in the "LJ can do no wrong" camp, but signing a big lump from Latvia with no Football League experience is hardly addressing it...

What does football league experience have to do with it? Vidic had never played over here before manure signed him and he's done ok. As have 100's of others...

I don't think Mvoto would now fit into LJs plans, he looks to be shaping the team on players who are comfortable on the ball in all areas.

Which could be one way of getting us out of this division, we could compare Tarky and Mellor with Beckenbaur and Hansen. Or perhaps that is stretching a point too far.

Which could be one way of getting us out of this division, we could compare Tarky and Mellor with Beckenbaur and Hansen. Or perhaps that is stretching a point too far.

Just a little, but a nice thought.

LJ has a handshake deal for the young Liverpool CB . his name is Sama or something like that . signing Monday , barring an epidemic at pool . LJ refers to the deal on player . stop fretting we had a decent defensive record last season . fact. we have only lost one of that defense since then . plus Byrne can play RB , admitted he is too slow but he is experienced .

we have a new kit , new sponsors , new 3rd kit , a new stand going up , new coaches , new manager and we haven't lost a game yet.

stop fretting and start getting behind the team .

Stephen Sama,certainly looks the part;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S-Dc-SY0UU

A word of caution though;

"His season was soured however by some high-profile red cards"

Edited by BP1960

Just got me thinking though, how many quality ball playing centre halfs have we had at BP. The pick of the bunch for me would be Jobbo, but Kevin Moore in his short time here also was comfortable on the ball.

Paul Warhurst, John Hurst and Jim Bowie were among the of the best I've seen.

Edited by BP1960

Just got me thinking though, how many quality ball playing centre halfs have we had at BP. The pick of the bunch for me would be Jobbo, but Kevin Moore in his short time here also was comfortable on the ball.

Going back a bit but Paul Futcher was one of my favourites, him and Kenny Clements were a class above what we've seen at BP fo one time.

Going back a bit but Paul Futcher was one of my favourites, him and Kenny Clements were a class above what we've seen at BP fo one time.

Alan Hansen calls them 'overcoat' players. I assume he meant they could play with an overcoat on and not break sweat.

Gary Hoolickin was underrated, a very composed centre back.

Edited by BP1960

Somebody like Futcher would be ideal alongside Tarky or Belezika he could really bring the best out of them, we live in hope that LJ could bring someone of that calibre in this season.

Somebody like Futcher would be ideal alongside Tarky or Belezika he could really bring the best out of them, we live in hope that LJ could bring someone of that calibre in this season.

Rumour is it's Stephen Sama, a big powerful young centre back from Liverpool who they signed from Borrusia Dortmund, by all accounts he's very quick, can pass long and short, good in air and comfortable on the ball, has fallen fall of the referee though on a few occasions they say with his strong tackling.

Edited by BP1960

Rumour is it's Stephen Sama, a big powerful young centre back from Liverpool who they signed from Borrusia Dortmund, by all accounts he's very quick, can pass long and short, good in air and comfortable on the ball, has fallen fall of the referee though on a few occasions they say with his strong tackling.

Just watched the videos of him, does look a decent player, I am not sure it would appease many on here though due to his age. For my money i do not have a problem with young players at this level, if they can get over making the odd mistake and the moaning that follows they could be the next Jobson!

Just watched the videos of him, does look a decent player, I am not sure it would appease many on here though due to his age. For my money i do not have a problem with young players at this level, if they can get over making the odd mistake and the moaning that follows they could be the next Jobson!

If he can do what Dan Burn did for Yeovil no one will complain.

Ian Snodin was class, especially when he was utilised in the Sammer role.

Since Jobbo, the classiest defender we have had is Hall, Greegs was pure brawn but Hall should have gone further in the game than he has. Injuries and perhaps too much to soon have seen him stagnate and become something of a Championship journeyman.