Centre back priority ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes definitely, Mellor was terrible tonight. Sorry but he was, kept getting outdone and targeted all game and if it was a better referee some of his mistakes would of been punished. In desperate need of a centre half to partner Tarkowski who was excellent tonight.

Agree.

Mellor was very good in some ways, but totally exposed in others.

Derby were excellent in the second half. Totally squeezed us out of it leaving us with long stuff up to Millar. We were very good first half. Rooney needs to sharpen up a bit.

Would we not be better trusting the manager? He's learning a new position & was up against good opposition tonight.

We get a CB in, who goes? By my reckoning we've maxed our budget.

Edited by Microcuts

Yes definitely, Mellor was terrible tonight. Sorry but he was, kept getting outdone and targeted all game and if it was a better referee some of his mistakes would of been punished. In desperate need of a centre half to partner Tarkowski who was excellent tonight.

Admittedly the Derby centre forward was excellent and way above what you would usually see in Division One, nevertheless Mellor is now a definite target.

Agree.

Mellor was very good in some ways, but totally exposed in others.

Derby were excellent in the second half. Totally squeezed us out of it leaving us with long stuff up to Millar. We were very good first half. Rooney needs to sharpen up a bit.

Didn't hear Rooney mentioned on commentory.

Would we not be better trusting the manager? He's learning a new position & was up against good opposition tonight.

We get a CB in, who goes? By my reckoning we've maxed our budget.

Mellor won't last long at centre back, my guess is a big defender like Ayala will be brought in on loan.

Do feel very exposed think grounds Mellor and brown were poor. However very happy with a strong performance for 60 mins. Do feel derby were very negative all game and if they defend a 1-0 lead for 40 mins like they did tonight in the league they will end up going down! Soooo negative derby. Some of the moves first half show what we are going to be about this season top draw. Feel more comfortable with McDonald Rooney partnership.

Tarkowski had one of the best games I've seen him have tonight... Showed why he might end up a top drawer centre-half. It's no slant on Mellor pointing out he wasn't great in a position he's unfamiliar with. His footballing ability isn't really being questioned.

You can see what Johnson's trying to do and at times it looks pretty (bringing it out) but there's no doubt we could do with a bruiser. Mellor can go back to competing for a place in Midfield.

Was Mcdonald on the bench? For all the attacking qualities, we ended the game without an out and out centre forward.

Do feel very exposed think grounds Mellor and brown were poor. However very happy with a strong performance for 60 mins. Do feel derby were very negative all game and if they defend a 1-0 lead for 40 mins like they did tonight in the league they will end up going down! Soooo negative derby. Some of the moves first half show what we are going to be about this season top draw. Feel more comfortable with McDonald Rooney partnership.

Negative? I thought they did a very professional, well-organised job in the second half and kept possession far better than we did.

Negative? I thought they did a very professional, well-organised job in the second half and kept possession far better than we did.

I agree with this, they held the ball well and closed us down very quickly not leaving us time to play football. A championship side can do that for 90minutes but I can see a lot of league one players getting very tired if they tried it against us.

Edit, don't know how that other post thought Brown had a bad game...

Edited by blueatheart

We struggled to make an impact down the middle. First half down the flanks we looked very dangerous but ran out of ideas and puff. Derby did their job just needed a goal to put the cat amongst the pigeons. If thats one of the best games Tarky will have then we wont keep a clean sheet all year. Happy to take the positives of the first half away though, trying to football and be bright and should be more effective against League One opposition

Tarky? Excellent?.. Was I watching a different game? For the life of me I am sat here scratching my head. The lad really needs to begin learning from his mistakes. He NEEDS somebody who can organise him as his reading of the game at present is terrible. Can that improve with care and training or is it an instinct you are born with as a defender. Sorry but tonight he was terrible.... IMO

For me Mellor just wasn't up to the pace, constantly made mistakes such as mis-judging the bounce of the ball etc AND for a 'ball playing centre half' the amount of misplaced passes from him into midfield was laughable not to mention the long field punts that went out for a throwing.

Brown, again wasnt good enough, he wasnt as bad as Mellor but he was still poor, he doesn't offer anything going forward and also makes many mistakes defensively, he doesn't seem to have that footballing brain.

Tarkowski on the other hand was excellent, vocal and kept the score at 1-0, and for me he was a good shout for MOM, I would of given it to Korey Smith in the end though.

Why single out Mellor on this though. Tarky getting MOM was one of the most laughable decisions ive seen

The bewilderment in our section of the main stand when that was announced... we wondered if the sponsors had actually been watching the game!

Brown, again wasnt good enough, he wasnt as bad as Mellor but he was still poor, he doesn't offer anything going forward and also makes many mistakes defensively, he doesn't seem to have that footballing brain..

Couldn't disagree more, Brown had one of his best games in a latics shirt.

I am fine with my full backs offering little going forward as long as our wingers do their jobs. We were spoilt with Lee. Their primary job is to defend. I sound like Dave Penney.

In fact I don't recall Grounds getting forward much in his time with us.

Tarky? Excellent?.. Was I watching a different game? For the life of me I am sat here scratching my head. The lad really needs to begin learning from his mistakes. He NEEDS somebody who can organise him as his reading of the game at present is terrible. Can that improve with care and training or is it an instinct you are born with as a defender. Sorry but tonight he was terrible.... IMO

Agreed, although I wouldn't say terrible. He looked lethargic at first, late to react etc. but he really needs experience to play with. Mellor and Tarky looked like rabbits in headlights far too much. The only thing I can't get my head around us how Derby didn't score 3 or 4.

Get an imposing defender in and we're a decent team. As it is we'll dick teams some weeks, and get rinsed on other weeks.