Boundary Park Ticket Prices

The discussion around the cost of Peterborough tickets (£28) raises some questions about Latics' admission prices.

Typical adult cost of entry at Boundary Park has been £20 for several seasons. If this had risen in line with inflation admission would now be £25.

Comparing Latics prices to other teams and it becomes clear that based on last season the Oldham Athletic standard £20 seating ticket is the cheapest in the division alongside Yeovil, Portsmouth and Crewe. The odd cheaper terrace exists, but Latics is a very cheap place to watch league football.

As a spectator I want two things. Protection for my pocket and competitive football. There is an obvious tension between the two. Paying the cheapest prices in the division will, inevitably, make it more difficult to compete on the pitch.

Sooner or later the price of a ticket for Latics will rise. It has to, or we will become less competitive.

So my question is, what price for an adult seat at BP would be tolerable when Latics choose to break the £20 barrier?

Is something like the structure below realistic for a season when the new stand is in place?

New stand £24

RRE (no pillars, so charge a premium) £23

Main Stand £22

Paddock (limited cover) and Chaddy End (pillars) £20

I'm posting out of interest rather than desire, and i dont represent the club, but at some point in the future it won't be £20 on the turnstile.

If you've any thoughts, objections or improvements feel free to post below.

This is interesting, I've spend the last couple of years following a premier league side home and away ( long story don't ask)paying a minimum of £35 for a ticket.

My son and I have decided to pick a few Latics away games this season the first one being Peterborough which on reflection is expensive but I'm not surprised s they've just come down from the championship.

I think £25 is the limit that I would pay for league 1 and that latics should have that as their ceiling price.

By the way, I anticipate the RRE being away fans only for most games once the new stand is up. As you can clearly differentiate the stand from the Chaddy I believe the rules do allow for a more expensive price.

The discussion around the cost of Peterborough tickets (£28) raises some questions about Latics' admission prices.

Typical adult cost of entry at Boundary Park has been £20 for several seasons. If this had risen in line with inflation admission would now be £25.

Comparing Latics prices to other teams and it becomes clear that based on last season the Oldham Athletic standard £20 seating ticket is the cheapest in the division alongside Yeovil, Portsmouth and Crewe. The odd cheaper terrace exists, but Latics is a very cheap place to watch league football.

As a spectator I want two things. Protection for my pocket and competitive football. There is an obvious tension between the two. Paying the cheapest prices in the division will, inevitably, make it more difficult to compete on the pitch.

Sooner or later the price of a ticket for Latics will rise. It has to, or we will become less competitive.

So my question is, what price for an adult seat at BP would be tolerable when Latics choose to break the £20 barrier?

Is something like the structure below realistic for a season when the new stand is in place?

New stand £24

Main Stand £22

Paddock (limited cover) and Chaddy End (pillars) £20

I'm posting out of interest rather than desire, and i dont represent the club, but at some point in the future it won't be £20 on the turnstile.

If you've any thoughts, objections or improvements feel free to post below.

I'd be interested to see the figures on season tickets.

I've had a constant season ticket for 12 years so the prices above the gates mean nothing week-in week-out.

I quite happily paid £25 to see us play Liverpool/Everton last season (Cat A Game?) but I wouldn't want to see categories returning.

I wouldn't mind an extra £20 on my season ticket, those prices have been frozen for years also.

It's psychology though, my benchmark at the moment is £20 each for two hours entertainment at football. Compare that to the cinema for two (£25 including drinks/popcorn?), going out for a meal for two (£25-£50 depending on where you go) or bowling for two (£10?) and increasing the price of footie rapidly becomes one of the more expensive hobbies.

So when does not being able to afford going out for a meal once/twice a month start conflicting with football three/four times a month?

Edit: that £23 for the RRE, I'd pay more purely because there is a bar available.

Edited by blueatheart

Don't think there's the appetite for any increases in the current climate.

They tried the different category pricing a couple of years ago, presumably it didn't work as they ditched it for last season.

Whacking the extra £5 on for the two cup games was a liberty really, they knew they could get away with it though knowing that people would not want to miss the games.

I guess you can look at the Peterborough game in two ways, on the one hand it's 'only' 8 quid more than what we charge, on the other when you say it out loud "28 quid to watch a League 1 game" it just does not sit right.

Yes I agree £20 for 2 hours entertainment is about right. The pleasure and anticipation I get from the games is enormous and I can't do without it! I think that I'd pay more but go to fewer games ... Maybe that could be an argument for smaller leagues

The new stand will definitely see it through the £20 to sit in there. As a season ticket holder it may be £15 or £16 a match, I dont understand how a chaddy season ticket costs more than the RRE, the view is miles better in the RRE. How much i would be prepared to pay for a single match would depend on my situation I suppose. My youngest goes to uni next year that means I have 2 of them pissing it up and having a good time at my expense, but on the other hand I dont have to pay for a season ticket for him and away games will be cheaper.

I think some teams in the south may charge more, due to thy cost of living being higher down there. If we can charge different prices for the away supporters in the RRE, then we should be looking at their prices for travelling fans, and charge them the same to come to BP. There is another thread regarding the Peterbourgh prices which is a prime example. By charging these prices, it would help keep the cost down for our own fans for home games.

The only way I can see a price increase is when the new stand opens and it being in the new stand only as this will have far better facilities the only other way they can justify it is if we fluke it and get promoted. Otherwise we are not adding value to what we are paying.

Like I've said in another thread with so much football on tv people can get their football fix other ways these days.

only my opinion but... i don't mind category games - for the likes of sheffield united/wolves/preston/bradford who are always going to bring a big away following no matter what the price!

they could be category A

category B can be the big standard charge of £22 for all those with a few hundred! and category C for those with no following at all £20

that way you make the most of the big followings who aren't too fussed about the price! and £22 for the average club no one argues with

It's psychology though, my benchmark at the moment is £20 each for two hours entertainment at football. Compare that to the cinema for two (£25 including drinks/popcorn?), going out for a meal for two (£25-£50 depending on where you go) or bowling for two (£10?) and increasing the price of footie rapidly becomes one of the more expensive hobbies.

Why compare the cost of one thing for one person to the cost of one thing for 2 people?

By the way, I anticipate the RRE being away fans only for most games once the new stand is up. As you can clearly differentiate the stand from the Chaddy I believe the rules do allow for a more expensive price.

It time we moved the away fans to the chaddy end permanently

I fully understand and appreciate the OP's intention to stimulate debate, and I congratulate you on a well thought out post.

From my point of view though, £20 is already too dear to watch League One (Third Division) football, not just that, but at a club where the long suffering fans have had to endure 16, going into 17 seasons of the same stagnated football, where only 2 of those seasons could be classed as anything approaching "successful".

I know a number of fans, who are now lapsed, and they all say that they find £20 too expensive to watch third division football, by increasing the costs, I feel we would alienate and reduce the fan base even further.

Having said that, I'd expect a small rise if we did ever gain promotion, and I wouldn't begrudge the superior new stand having a slightly increased admission fee simply due to the fact, you are paying for a better match day experience than you would in the antiquated Main Stand for example.