Was anyone removed from the ground yesterday?

I think he's saying people with no qualms in shouting one type of 'unacceptable' abuse will often have no qualms about singing / shouting other types of abuse.

I'm not sure what I think of that.

I do get annoyed when people get on their high horse about abuse to women at matches. And I'm a woman. Women are people, and deserve no more respect than men. People deserve respect. Anyone who thinks people sung at to get your tits out at a football match is offensive and abusive - well, you may be right (but I'd wager 99% of women have had more hurtful or offensive things shouted at them), but this isn't about Latics fans singing :censored:e at a woman at Peterborough. This is about people generally being totally self-centred, not respecting other people (especially those who are different in any way), and not thinking through / caring about the impact their behaviour has on others.

I started off thinking I totally disagreed with Sly, but think I may have just typed myself into some level of agreement.

99% of women eh? What an outrageous unsubstantiated statement. You are quoting the percentage abused enacting a roll in an area of public entertainment (term used loosely regarding football)?

I applaud your concern for ALL human beings though.

Again, I agree that women do not deserve more respect than men but as someone with over 50yrs of adulthood I have seen the numbers of men happy to give it in abundance decline alarmingly. This in itself is partly responsible for the appalling lack of respect for each other these days.

We all climb upon a high horse from time to time on any given subject that suits us it is human nature. If I am guilty of that so be it. I witnessed a female football mascot, unnecessarily embarrassed by some of our football fans at a football match, in a football stadium and I posted it on a football forum. Heaven forbid its far from the most unimportant thing that has been posted on OWTB. It is fair to say it has had a good airing.

You appear to have taken my comments personally for some reason.

I am a woman and know a lot of women. They have all had abuse shouted at them that is more offensive than a request to get their tits out. I'm not sure how you can disagree with this.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a woman and know a lot of women. They have all had abuse shouted at them that is more offensive than a request to get their tits out. I'm not sure how you can disagree with this.

I can't disagree because I can't be sure your 'a lot of women' aren't 99% of all women. I still think your 99% is unsubstantiated but if you are sticking with it, no harm done.

I have not taken your comments personally I am debating the topic.

I can't work out what you're trying to say here.

Are you saying that because they've suffered worse, this stuff doesn't matter much? I don't understand the logic of it.

I can't work out what you're trying to say here.

Are you saying that because they've suffered worse, this stuff doesn't matter much? I don't understand the logic of it.

My point is that in the grand scheme of things, society is :censored:ed, and much much worse gets said every day to all types of people. This is a drop in the ocean of a much wider issue, and, in my opinion, the reaction to it on here is over the top.

My point is that in the grand scheme of things, society is :censored:ed, and much much worse gets said every day to all types of people. This is a drop in the ocean of a much wider issue, and, in my opinion, the reaction to it on here is over the top.

No, completely disagree with that, the reaction we've had is exactly what we want. I'd say that by virtue of us talking about this topic, and that there are those on this thread who would either not join in or even pull people up for singing sexist chants, that society is not completely lost.

Your comments almost read as if that if the abuse given isn't demeaning enough we shouldn't bother.

Stamp out sexism one drop in the ocean at a time.

Am I getting my tits out or not?

Go on then ... Twice in a week you have made a grown man spit coffee .... Well done squire, well done. While I'm aware of what issues there are in society as a whole ... Nothing eases the tension like genuine humour. :clap:

I think he's saying people with no qualms in shouting one type of 'unacceptable' abuse will often have no qualms about singing / shouting other types of abuse.

I do get annoyed when people get on their high horse about abuse to women at matches. And I'm a woman. Women are people, and deserve no more respect than men. People deserve respect. Anyone who thinks people sung at to get your tits out at a football match is offensive and abusive - well, you may be right (but I'd wager 99% of women have had more hurtful or offensive things shouted at them), but this isn't about Latics fans singing :censored:e at a woman at Peterborough. This is about people generally being totally self-centred, not respecting other people (especially those who are different in any way), and not thinking through / caring about the impact their behaviour has on others.

I don't think it's a case of saying women deserve more respect or special treatment - I wasn't at Peterborough, but by the sounds of it this woman's been singled out to have stuff sung/shouted at her, in a way that her male colleague wasn't, not because of anything she did or because of anything unusual about her, but simply because she was a woman. That's why the low level sexist chants like that make me uncomfortable - it's a reminder that if you're a woman, you'll get treated differently, and some blokes will see you as 'fair game' however much you might be minding your own business. Yes, we've all had worse stuff shouted at us, but that's not a reason to not tackle it - people from ethnic minorities probably experience worse things than hearing racist chants at the match, but that still needs to be seen as unacceptable. Tackling the low level stuff's important, because it's part of the culture that says it's OK to treat women differently.

Incidentally I've always found that the best response to 'get your tits out' is "why, does your mum usually feed you around this time? Aren't you a bit old for that, son?"

People keep saying they weren't at Peterborough, but.....and it's valid that, regardless of not being there, they have an opinion on the principle involved in Latics supporters uttering 'dodgy' chants.

Just getting back to the OP, on a point of information, what actually happened was that, after the female mascot had been chanted to get her tits out, a 'big-boned' male Latics supporter had the same chant directed at him, to which he removed his top and walked up the steps to the back of the stand. This seemed a humorous response to the objectionable chant directed at Miss Posh.

During the second half, when things were getting tetchy in the technical areas and Ferguson was becoming more animated, the "does she take it up the arse?" chant came from Latics supporters, but I do not know to whom it was directed. Whether it was something alleged about Ferguson, I don't know, but it was immediately after this that one of our supporters was removed from our area of the stand.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

No, completely disagree with that, the reaction we've had is exactly what we want. I'd say that by virtue of us talking about this topic, and that there are those on this thread who would either not join in or even pull people up for singing sexist chants, that society is not completely lost.

Your comments almost read as if that if the abuse given isn't demeaning enough we shouldn't bother.

Stamp out sexism one drop in the ocean at a time.

Of course both you and Rosa are right. I do honestly see the point I made and the points you made. Shouting anything offensive is out of order, no matter how low impact. I think the side I've put across is coming from where I'm at at this moment regarding society as a whole. And maybe I'm just desensitised to this sort of low level stuff - which is because it happens all the time, and is therefore to me more 'the norm' (although that shouldn't make it ok).

We're dooooooomed! God, I need a holiday....

Now then, "Does 'she' take it up the arse?" directed squarely at a dummy spitting opposition manager is just downright funny.

Does that make me a bad person?

I would say its on the thinest ice given he is given to booting his wife in the stomach. Isn't there a wider point here? The girl seems to have got the job by public vote, which in this world means that blokes on a football site thought she was fitter than the opposition. Her job is to be fit in front of male football fans. This is not in any way to justify being crude towards her. I am reminded of those, "do not throw stones at this sign," signs. She is there as a perving object even if nobody makes a sound

Funny but I don't recall a great debate about how terrible the chants that were aimed at Ian Moore regarding his mum and dad?

I do. Maybe not to the same extent as this drivel, but there was definitely some opposition.

One minute you're pointing out how people should be able to take a bit of banter Craig, next minute you're claiming you're be belitted. As you would say:- "bless".

Get over yourself, you give plenty out.

Final word on this little distraction or indeed this entire thread Nigel, you either miss my point about you trying to belittle people or do so deliberately. You are quite good at delievering your point of view across with a good understanding of words, yet instead of sticking to the topic to be debated you always try to make the individual you're debating with look silly/small or stupid to make your point seem more valid. It aint needed so drop it.

I agree if I believe in my opinion I ain't shy in being forceful with it nor will I ever shy away from anyone who is trying to have a go at me personally, whether verbally or otherwise. So if that is giving plenty out, guilty as charged however, I never intentionally try to win my debates by attacking people personally unless they are trying to do so to me. That goes for Pine Villians, the cavalry, yourself and maybe two others on here. It amazes me how sometimes the flimsiest of oportunities are taken to try to appear clever just to have a go at the person and not the topic debate. So much so usually bright, clever people jusy come across as prats.

Right onto the next debate........

I would say its on the thinest ice given he is given to booting his wife in the stomach. Isn't there a wider point here? The girl seems to have got the job by public vote, which in this world means that blokes on a football site thought she was fitter than the opposition. Her job is to be fit in front of male football fans. This is not in any way to justify being crude towards her. I am reminded of those, "do not throw stones at this sign," signs. She is there as a perving object even if nobody makes a sound

If she's there as a 'perving object', then the old bloke in top hat and tails must be as well. I can't help thinking Peterborough's female fans have been a bit short-changed there.

Final word on this little distraction or indeed this entire thread Nigel, you either miss my point about you trying to belittle people or do so deliberately. You are quite good at delievering your point of view across with a good understanding of words, yet instead of sticking to the topic to be debated you always try to make the individual you're debating with look silly/small or stupid to make your point seem more valid. It aint needed so drop it.

I agree if I believe in my opinion I ain't shy in being forceful with it nor will I ever shy away from anyone who is trying to have a go at me personally, whether verbally or otherwise. So if that is giving plenty out, guilty as charged however, I never intentionally try to win my debates by attacking people personally unless they are trying to do so to me. That goes for Pine Villians, the cavalry, yourself and maybe two others on here. It amazes me how sometimes the flimsiest of oportunities are taken to try to appear clever just to have a go at the person and not the topic debate. So much so usually bright, clever people jusy come across as prats.

What he said!

Nope, blonde haired lad was taken into the corner for what looked like a quiet word, everything looked pretty calm to me, he went with them without force, next thing I see after about them being sat down for about a minute was about 8 stewards jump him and drag him out. Looked completely uncalled for imo

I think he should get a banning order for causing this thread

What load of condescending claptrap.