Was anyone removed from the ground yesterday?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's this?

Group of Notts fans in their "singing section" bursting out the classics 'town full of pakis' and songs about the Stand Fire. Classy.

Quite rightly, their own supporters have complained and police and Notts are reviewing CCTV Footage.

....with some of the fans i've encountered; i wouldn't put it past them for equivilent songs to be sung when we play Bradford away.

Edited by slystallone

We have now had a wide spectrum of opinion on the crude degradation of a young woman who was representing her/a football club and its long established nickname. She was doing this in a family environment where all were welcomed. She arrived in front of our following with a warm friendly smile which changed to a brave faced, forced smile upon hearing the chants. She was obviously affected by the chant. ‘If’ she was being paid as a (Disney type character) to entertain families (which was clearly her intention, if you were there to witness it), why on earth would she expect what she got. She was young enough for her parents to be there and old enough, perhaps, for her young children to be there. Does anyone refute that a football arena is a family environment and most fans don’t want to hear this stuff?

It is also worth noting we made a lot more noise without it when we could ALL join in.

Verbal abuse of referees, linesmen opposing player’s, and even our own players and coaching staff, all seem to be fair game and I would agree a line is very difficult to draw. But surely lewd chanting aimed at a female club mascot should be way outside what any sane person would call acceptable. If it was, would our own pre-match teenage dancers or even Jenny Warburton, be fair game?

In today’s anything goes public displays of lewdness and excess by some young and not so young people it is worth remembering that some of these said people would take ‘offence’ at someone making a remark or looking at them in the wrong way. We all know that is a fact, and, what retribution is sometimes taken. Obviously, they think being looked at or commented to is offensive to their sensitive nature. Unbelievable!

Group of Notts fans in their "singing section" bursting out the classics 'town full of pakis' and songs about the Stand Fire. Classy.

Quite rightly, their own supporters have complained and police and Notts are reviewing CCTV Footage.

....with some of the fans i've encountered; i wouldn't put it past them for equivilent songs to be sung when we play Bradford away.

How did you get from tits to paki's to the Bradford fire?

Welcome to the Only Connect OWTB Special

I'm sure there's a connection somewhere... although I'm still trying to think of one that isn't blatantly offensive to all concerned...

Surely even our most amoeba brained creche members wouldn't miss the irony in singing "You're just a town full of Pakis" to Bradford? Would they??

I got my head between a cracking pair at Stevenage after the last goal, but i didn't get his phone number

You're :censored:ing shameless you are. I thought what we had at Millwall was something special.

(granted that was five years ago...!)

I think he's saying people with no qualms in shouting one type of 'unacceptable' abuse will often have no qualms about singing / shouting other types of abuse.

I'm not sure what I think of that.

I do get annoyed when people get on their high horse about abuse to women at matches. And I'm a woman. Women are people, and deserve no more respect than men. People deserve respect. Anyone who thinks people sung at to get your tits out at a football match is offensive and abusive - well, you may be right (but I'd wager 99% of women have had more hurtful or offensive things shouted at them), but this isn't about Latics fans singing :censored:e at a woman at Peterborough. This is about people generally being totally self-centred, not respecting other people (especially those who are different in any way), and not thinking through / caring about the impact their behaviour has on others.

I started off thinking I totally disagreed with Sly, but think I may have just typed myself into some level of agreement.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Some are there with families, kids, sisters, brothers, but some are not they are there to get away from all that and the sweat shop/workplace environment, and be a bit silly at the footy game, what's so wrong with that?

Although i have never sung anything like that at a football match, i have heard it, at quite a few games over the years, If the girl took any notice of it, I'm sure she would be more embarrassed (as were some of our fans) rather than something deeply offensive.

I think he's saying people with no qualms in shouting one type of 'unacceptable' abuse will often have no qualms about singing / shouting other types of abuse.

I'm not sure what I think of that.

I do get annoyed when people get on their high horse about abuse to women at matches. And I'm a woman. Women are people, and deserve no more respect than men. People deserve respect. Anyone who thinks people sung at to get your tits out at a football match is offensive and abusive - well, you may be right (but I'd wager 99% of women have had more hurtful or offensive things shouted at them), but this isn't about Latics fans singing :censored:e at a woman at Peterborough. This is about people generally being totally self-centred, not respecting other people (especially those who are different in any way), and not thinking through / caring about the impact their behaviour has on others.

I started off thinking I totally disagreed with Sly, but think I may have just typed myself into some level of agreement.

99% of women eh? What an outrageous unsubstantiated statement. You are quoting the percentage abused enacting a roll in an area of public entertainment (term used loosely regarding football)?

I applaud your concern for ALL human beings though.

Again, I agree that women do not ‘deserve’ more respect than men but as someone with over 50yrs of adulthood I have seen the numbers of men happy to give it in abundance decline alarmingly. This in itself is partly responsible for the appalling lack of respect for each other these days.

We all climb upon a high horse from time to time on any given subject that suits us – it is human nature. If I am guilty of that so be it. I witnessed a female football mascot, unnecessarily embarrassed by some of our football fans at a football match, in a football stadium and I posted it on a football forum. Heaven forbid it’s far from the most unimportant thing that has been posted on OWTB. It is fair to say it has had a good airing.