Team for Port Vale - Selection dilemma's already?

Only the 4th league game of the season but does LJ have some selection dilemma's already?

We've, largely, been playing well but not scoring - does he persevere with non-scoring Rooney or try him from the bench?

Can he drop Baxter? Should he?

Does MacDonald have to start after his goal?

Or Philliskirk after his goals in the reserves?

Does Clarke Harris start if fit?

If Mellor is fit (he was walking up Sheepfoot Lane earlier, not wearing Latics gear) does he come back in or does he stick with Saturdays defence?

If Rachubka signs does he play?

Who partners Smith in midfield? Wesolowski? (How did he do at Peterborough?) Rodgers? Mellor? Baxter?

I think he should persevere with what he's had in mind as his first 11 from the off and keep Rooney and Baxter in, but only for one more game if it doesn't work.

But, MacDonald deserves a start.

Strange isn't it - we've lost 3 in a row but nobody really demands dropping although, those who've been on the bench all have a case for starting based on their cameo's.

Edited by HarryBosch

Only the 4th league game of the season but does LJ have some selection dilemma's already?

We've, largely, been playing well but not scoring - does he persevere with non-scoring Rooney or try him from the bench? persevere

Can he drop Baxter? Should he? NO

Does MacDonald have to start after his goal? no

Or Philliskirk after his goals in the reserves? no

Does Clarke Harris start if fit? YES

If Mellor is fit (he was walking up Sheepfoot Lane earlier, not wearing Latics gear) does he come back in or does he stick with Saturdays defence? Maybe

If Rachubka signs does he play? NO

Who partners Smith in midfield? Wesolowski? (How did he do at Peterborough?) Rodgers? Mellor? Baxter? Baxter

I think he should persevere with what he's had in mind as his first 11 from the off and keep Rooney and Baxter in, but only for one more game if it doesn't work.

But, MacDonald deserves a start.

Strange isn't it - we've lost 3 in a row but nobody really demands dropping although, those who've been on the bench all have a case for starting based on their cameo's.

Good position to be in having options but it brings its own problems ,I didn't go to Peterborough and wes had a good game according to reports but I would personally play Mellor with Smith if he is fit, I would stick with the forward line at moment JCH might be fit for weekend if he is do we have 3 strikers on the bench in mac,philiskirk and JCH plus Sid . Looking at our forward options somebody soon is going to get a right beating lets hope it's Saturday .

We've, largely, been playing well but not scoring - does he persevere with non-scoring Rooney or try him from the bench? Start him

Can he drop Baxter? Should he? Could and should

Does MacDonald have to start after his goal? Yes

Or Philliskirk after his goals in the reserves? Bench

Does Clarke Harris start if fit? No

If Mellor is fit (he was walking up Sheepfoot Lane earlier, not wearing Latics gear) does he come back in or does he stick with Saturdays defence? Sticks with saturdays

If Rachubka signs does he play? No

Who partners Smith in midfield? Wesolowski? (How did he do at Peterborough?) Rodgers? Mellor? Baxter? Wes after posh

Edited by LaticsEddie

I'd like to see Rodgers and Smith in the centre in a home game where we should be looking at taking the game to vale . I think that midfield partnership can really dictate the tempo. In the last twenty minutes of the Stanley friendly baxter played as a wide midfielder but constantly found space inside . During that period we created numerous chances . Obviously the last twenty minutes of a friendly isn't the same as starting a league game and this could pressure on our full backs BUT Jose has struggled to find space to be as effective as possible at times so far but I think this could be the solution . Macdonald said in his interview Connor browns assist on Saturday proves the cross can come over early and be more effective than from the by line , Baxter could provide by finding pockets of space from wide . Another plus side to this would be vale would not expect it .

So I'd go for

Oxley

Brown

Tarky

Grounds

Mills

Dayton/montano

Smith

Rodgers

Baxter

Rooney

Macdonald

Subs

Coleman /rachubka

Mellor

Wes

Dayton/montano

Millar/schmeltz

Clarke - Harris

Philliskirk

Edited by GravityGrave

Oxley

Brown
Tarkowski
Grounds
Mills

Montano

Wesolowski
Smith
Dayton

Rooney
MacDonald

Subs
Rachubka
Cooper

Mellor

Schmeltz

Baxter

Millar
Philliskirk

Clarke-Harris

If we played so well last week, I don't think much change is needed and I think players returning from injury shouldn't necessarily jump back into the team. As big a fan as I am of Mellor, it seems silly to play him instead of Mills seeing as we have a Championship defender on loan.

Baxter hasn't been on form or created enough for at least two games and with the options we have, it might do him good to take a seat and come on mid-second half to cause trouble. Plenty of forward options, but I think Rooney works hard and just needs his breakthrough, Charlie Mac will run himself stupid and hopefully the experience of him and Rooney will create those link ups and through balls we've been looking for.

Saying that, I have no qualms if Baxter, or any other forward, starts. This team has goals in it (somewhere).

Edited by DTM

I'd like to see Rodgers and Smith in the centre in a home game where we should be looking at taking the game to vale . I think that midfield partnership can really dictate the tempo. In the last twenty minutes of the Stanley friendly baxter played as a wide midfielder but constantly found space inside . During that period we created numerous chances . Obviously the last twenty minutes of a friendly isn't the same as starting a league game and this could pressure on our full backs BUT Jose has struggled to find space to be as effective as possible at times so far but I think this could be the solution . Macdonald said in his interview Connor browns assist on Saturday proves the cross can come over early and be more effective than from the by line , Baxter could provide by finding pockets of space from wide . Another plus side to this would be vale would not expect it .

So I'd go for

Oxley

Brown

Tarky

Grounds

Mills

Dayton/montano

Smith

Rodgers

Baxter

Rooney

Macdonald

Subs

Coleman /rachubka

Mellor

Wes

Dayton/montano

Millar/schmeltz

Clarke - Harris

Philliskirk

Rodgers didn't do enough in the reserves to merit a start, I think LJ will only make changes to the bench.

Said in another thread, I'd drop Rooney an defo Baxter. Neither has done enough in the last few games to warrant a start. Others are either chomping at the bit or have done more to have a shout of starting.

Neither will be dropped though. An won't be for a Long time yet. Rooney (along with smith) was obviously johnsons coup of the summer. He will be wanting his signing to come good. (Smith has) Apparently baxter makes us tick. . .

It never ceases to amaze me how some players, seemingly on reputation; are still played even though out of form or not effecting a game.

How many games should ANY player be given? Yes we can all say, but they did ok, or it's coming. The fact is, for all the endeavour we've lost three on spin. Time to panic? No. Time to write players off? No. Time to look at the last few results an see if the team needs tweaking for a game or two? Definitely IMO.

Johnson has a lot of options. Will he use them??

My guess is the same eleven.

I wouldn't be dropping anybody.

Just keep playing them (unless injured) and building their understanding.

Thats it for me.

Whilst i'm wanting more from Baxter, Rooney et all, the more games played together, the more chance it will 'click'.

We have very decent options (compared to previous seasons) on the bench, that can see changes of systems as well as merely swapping player for player.

I'd leave it as it is; but maybe with a few changes on the bench?

Oxley

Brown

Grounds

Tarky

Mills

Dayton

Smith

Baxter

Monty

Macdonald

Rooney

Great to have options and harsh on Wes as understand he had a good game but we have take game to opostionhow good is this squad though that we can talk about leaving Jose out

Good times at the club

Really not convinced by oxley though

Apart from the 2 up top, I wouldn't have an issue with remainder.

Anyway, Ross, it's no different to your selection for the back 7 so how are they going to get battered?

No experience there within the team, Rooney offers that up top. Baxter is our playmaker and everything goes through him etc etc