Latics 3-1 Vale: Post match reaction thread

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic performance all around. Mills exceptional at LB, loads and loads of effort. Would definitely like to get him on a longer loan if possible.

Korey & Wes (especially) were rocks in the centre of midfield.

Two wide men, especially Dayton looked bright.

And the two front men especially JCH were fantastic.

We have a strong squad as well with the squad we have however defensive cover may be needed.

Great performance, come on the boys!

Great game! Could of been 3-3 at half time, thought we were fairly comfortable 2nd half we looked a much better side than Vale who were just physical and looked threatening from corners.

Wes and Smith in the middle worked well, Very impressed with both especially after the stick Wes has got (from me included).

Rooney brilliant, worked his bollocks off and the :censored: he got on here last week was laughable, show's what happens when we play football rather than HOOF to him all game (like against walsall).

Win against Tranny next week and we are in play off places, hopefully that will convince a few more to go to preston rather than watch on TV!

Vale gave up at 3-1, Baxters effort was class too, my dad was glad it didn't go in though he had money on 3-1! Happy days

Wasn´t there today, but JCH would be in my team every week.

He has a combination of the best strengths of rooney and Charlie Mac.

Strong and able to muscle defenders and hold the ball up, quick and a good shot on him.

Nurture him well, keep him on the right path and we´ve got a winner here.

We really have the ability to score loads of goals, give the strikers the service from the flanks, and hope that Baxter regains his fitness and form and our strikers should be getting multiple good chances each game.

Good win and even better to see a Hughes missed penalty!

end to end at times dont think we will see too many 0-0 scorelines with this squad

Montano excellent early on fantastic touch and cross for the goal and played some more decent balls in

Mills struggled with Myrie Williams just couldnt match him for pace but OK on the ball and posative going forward.

Tarky and Grounds did OK with the physical threat of vale but Grounds overplayed a bit too often which led to the pen. Defence still a worry really. BUt vale didnt play football so it was just a case of being strong and they were.

Brown did well overall - Huges was in full pantomime villan mode trying to wind him up and get him sent off. Huges is a decent footballer but a grade A knob and his pen wasnt great HAHAHA

Dayton i didnt think was in the game much but great finish for his goal

Smith and Wes worked themselves to death and really turned midfield into a battleground

JCH - Beast! Held the ball, pace to burn caused Vale all sorts of problems and unselfish for Roonys 2nd, His time will come

Roony - Great performance leath in the box worked really hard. Give him service things will happen

Baxter - nice little caemo with the game won still time for 20 smash at goal... but we looked better with 2 out and out forwards.

Edited by bluehobbit

Thought we played a few too many hopeful long balls first half, when we needed to get it wide to Montano and Dayton more, great ball from Montano for the first! I would say first half they were more threatening than us and found space out wide more, we still had a couple of decent chances on the break though.

Second half we were miles better, great ball from Tarky and good strength from JCH for the second and a great finish for the third. They had a spell at 2-1, throwing plenty in to our box but thought the defence handled it well. Other than that we were comfortable second half and deserved the win.

Thought Mills was excellent at LB and Tarky a rock again, Smith calm as usual in midfield and JCH and Rooney brilliant together up top. Great to see Rooney get off the mark, hopefully plenty more to come!

I thought it was a cracking match, and for the first hour or so they probably edged it.

The first came from providing good service and Montaño certainly did that - Rooney nodding it in with ease. Their equaliser came as we failed to get a tackle in and it looked like Oxley should have done better with the shot.

If it was an error he made up for it by saving Hughes' poor penalty, earned after Grounds got caught in possession by the ageing baldy and done for pace. Looked a pen from the RRE although I did see tweets from the Chaddy saying the lino who gave it got it wrong. Oxley made a great save shortly after when an effort from a Vale corner looked goal bound.

Rooney's second was a little against the run of play but it was great to have players queuing up to have a shot. Great work from JCH to create it.

Dayton's third was a peach, looping over the keeper from the corner of the box after he'd cut inside. That effectively killed off what had looked like a decent Vale side. Baxter came on as sub and played a couple of sublime passes as well as going close to adding a fourth with a 25 yarder impressively saved. Schmelz was denied a fourth by the referee blowing for full time.

Great game, good win and we're 8th. I'd love it, just love it, if we could batter Tranmere next week.

Oxley - 6 - some dodgy judgements before the penalty save, but that settled him. Not dominant around the six yard box.

Brown - 7 - booked for tussling off the all with Hughes. Scares the hell out of me but delivered the basics.

Mills - 8 - I think he's a better LB than Grounds.

Grounds - 6 - played well overall, but the mistake that led to the penalty was a shocker.

Tarkowski - 9 - very impressed.

Wesolowski - 6 - a bit too much backwards passing. Helped Smith out though.

Smith - 8 - a couple of minor errors first half, but what an engine and he's also in the referee's ear all game.

Dayton - 7 - great goal after a quiet game.

Montaño - 8 - although he wasted some decent chances he made the first and the engine that got him into scoring opportunities deserves credit.

Rooney - 9 - did more for himself, got better service. We won the game.

JCH - 8 - beast. Made the crucial second and grew into the game.

Byrne - 8 - I thought he did a great job at RB.

Baxter - 8 - helped us keep the ball up top better and used it intelligently.

end to end at times dont think we will see too many 0-0 scorelines with this squad

Montano excellent early on fantastic touch and cross for the goal and played some more decent balls in

Mills struggled with Myrie Williams just couldnt match him for pace but OK on the ball and posative going forward.

Tarky and Grounds did OK with the physical threat of vale but Grounds overplayed a bit too often which led to the pen. Defence still a worry really. BUt vale didnt play football so it was just a case of being strong and they were.

Brown did well overall - Huges was in full pantomime villan mode trying to wind him up and get him sent off. Huges is a decent footballer but a grade A knob and his pen wasnt great HAHAHA

Dayton i didnt think was in the game much but great finish for his goal

Smith and Wes worked themselves to death and really turned midfield into a battleground

JCH - Beast! Held the ball, pace to burn caused Vale all sorts of problems and unselfish for Roonys 2nd, His time will come

Roony - Great performance leath in the box worked really hard. Give him service things will happen

Baxter - nice little caemo with the game won still time for 20 smash at goal... but we looked better with 2 out and out forwards.

This is about right i'd say. Only thing i didnt like was the mentality we slipped into when 2-1 up though, felt like injury time the way we were just scrambling clear when we needed to calm down and take control of the game. Need the 3rd goal and it took all the stuffing out of them, we relaxed and saw the game out very impressivly. Clearly still some defensive issues to sort out but a lot of positives to take out of today compared to very few against Walsall last time

why??? id be interested to hear why you would change a team that had 20 shots on goal 10 on target

1. He's a good player.

2. It's against his former club, he's got a point to prove to Lee Johnson and, perhaps, Merseyside.

3. A 4-3-1-2 (Weso to sit this out) is what five goal Peterborough played against Tranmere today.

Oh I can't cope with this level of entrainment at bp....

I will still be nervous if we were 6-0 up....

Atmosphere was good, footy was good, I can't cope....they are playing as a team and putting 100% per man.

Glad to have handed my money over for that. Long may it continue...

Forgot to add, felt sad when Connor brown had to limp of finger end but loved his caring attitude when he had to hobble past the vale fans support by the trainer....they booed, he waved, now if it was me...heheh

Big shout out to cliff Byrne too, got his head on straight when he came on and within minutes, and I'm sure it was him stuck his foot out and saved it going in about a yard off the goaline......phew

Edited by underdog

Thought the centre mid pairing worked really well, Wes looked a far better player than we have seen recently and I would start him again next week. I must admit I thought it was defo a pen. Also big up to Cliff, took a lot of :censored: on here over the last week, looked solid and composed. Oxley slightly worries me, he seems rooted to his line if only he could command his area a little more, the defence need to have confidence in him. JCH is going to make one hell of a striker if he keeps his head down and works hard, unleash the beast. All in all a good entertaining game could entice a few more back next week. I would give Trannies the small bit of the RRE again next week and keep the sterile area there as well.