Connor brown and James Tarkowski

Oldham 3 land of the giants 1 ! Reasons for Tarkowski's improvement. His feet problems he suffered previous years are behind him allowing him to be fit, physically bigger and playing football instead of launching the the ball forward as under previous manager.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"had Pope in his pocket"? What game were we watching? Not blaming Tarkowski, but as the senior centrehalf I'd have hoped he would be more dominant. Instead they looked like they could score at will from that battery of corners they had.

yes, had him in his pocket, I didn't even realise pope was playing until the second half........I think you should have a look on the vale forum and read all the comments about how quiet pope was and then use your head and work out why that was. What game were you watching?

Having not seen the game as having been away on honeymoon I cannot comment on Tarky's performance at the weekend but have read this debate many times. As has been mentioned in this thread, his status as a homegrown player means he will always polarise opinion.

He does at times show glimpses of quality with time on the ball and as with a number of players appears in better condition this season than last. However he does switch off too easily and lacks concentration, particularly when strikers pull off his shoulder centrally (although Mvoto did not help at times in this regard last season as it was also a fault of his). He is also guilty of getting far too tight to compensate for his lack of athleticism which means he can also give away cheap free kicks and be turned easily by a strong centre forward.

He remains a work in progress, but for those who are talking of him playing at many levels higher......remember how good Fitz Hall was, and assess the level he reached in his career!!

Lads there were about three incidents in the second half alone where they won big headers off corners but somewhere between the striker and the keeper the ball got stuck under someone's feet.

If you genuinely can't see that Tarkowski is in desperate need of improving his aerial ability, then I don't see much point in continuing the debate - it should be obvious.

Lads there were about three incidents in the second half alone where they won big headers off corners but somewhere between the striker and the keeper the ball got stuck under someone's feet.

If you genuinely can't see that Tarkowski is in desperate need of improving his aerial ability, then I don't see much point in continuing the debate - it should be obvious.

I don't think Booby Moore won many headers from corners and he didn't turn out too bad, mind you many keepers don't command the area like in the past, tending to be stay on the line shot stoppers.

I'm no fan of him but do think he's decent in the air.

We are a better side with Tarkowski in it.....if he were to leave you would then realise how gold he was.

All he needed was an arm round the shoulder and loads of encouragement..I think he gets a lot more of that from LJ than he ever did from Dickov.

He is going to be a top player in the future and the only thing holding him back from a potential place in the premiership is a lack of pace.

I think he could become the best CB in the division this season and we'll be very lucky to hold on to him after January.

A lot of people and I include myself in this camp, see potential in Tarky rather than seeing a finished product. It is this potential that is getting us excited, if he was a finished product he wouldn't be here. He is composed on the ball and his reading of the game is improving game by game but the thing that impressed me the most on Saturday was the number of times he put the ball into Z row when it called for it.

What is it with a certain section of our fans wanting to see home grown players do badly and hating to see them come good?

Personally, our own youth products doing well is second only to us getting promoted in the list of what I want to see at Latics. Especially if it's a local lad.

Yet they seem to be the most likely whipping boys - Tarky, Mellor, Belezika, Millar at the moment. Eardley was the worst example. Even Taylor was the anti-Christ to some.

Tarkowski has been our best player this season by a mile, it's not even up for debate.

Yet some are still contriving to slate him. He's still not the finished article & some constructive criticism, while strange under the circumstances, would be fair enough. But, some of the negative comments beggar belief, even for this place.

Is it a case of once saying he'd never amount to anything so now point blank refusing to hold your hands up and say "I was wrong" and being glad that you were?

That particular Oldham brand of jealousy? "He's from round here and is doing well from himself, who does he think he is"?

One night the other week he was speaking to and having a laugh with fans on Twitter and, a rarity for our players, doing it all in the Queen's English, and a thread was started on here about him "being a knob on Twitter".

We're in a League where it's rare that defenders are a joy to watch. He is. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by HarryBosch

If only you knew how much I want local lads to do well... I have been a strident critic of the anti Taylor / Eardley / anyone brigade for a long time.

To that end I want nothing more than to see Tarkowski do well, and truth be told he has looked a far better footballer this year than he ever did.

But...

The defensive side of things is not good enough at times and he needs a lot of work. Aerially we were massively outgunned on Saturday and we really struggled to clear our lines - if that continues we will concede loads from.corners this year. Yes they were a big, powerful side but that is where you need a combative streak in your premier centrehalf.

What is it with a certain section of our fans wanting to see home grown players do badly and hating to see them come good?

Personally, our own youth products doing well is second only to us getting promoted in the list of what I want to see at Latics. Especially if it's a local lad.

Yet they seem to be the most likely whipping boys - Tarky, Mellor, Belezika, Millar at the moment. Eardley was the worst example. Even Taylor was the anti-Christ to some.

Tarkowski has been our best player this season by a mile, it's not even up for debate.

Yet some are still contriving to slate him. He's still not the finished article & some constructive criticism, while strange under the circumstances, would be fair enough. But, some of the negative comments beggar belief, even for this place.

Is it a case of once saying he'd never amount to anything so now point blank refusing to hold your hands up and say "I was wrong" and being glad that you were?

That particular Oldham brand of jealousy? "He's from round here and is doing well from himself, who does he think he is"?

One night the other week he was speaking to and having a laugh with fans on Twitter and, a rarity for our players, doing it all in the Queen's English, and a thread was started on here about him "being a knob on Twitter".

We're in a League where it's rare that defenders are a joy to watch. He is. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Problem with the happy clappers though, and I would term you as one Harry, is that you can't see anything objectively.

A player has a few decent games and he becomes top quality, destined to play in the top flight.

Manager makes a few good decisions, spouts a few soundbites and he becomes the best in the league and we're so lucky to have him.

I genuinely heard people saying that Neal Eardley was :censored:. Actually :censored:. The worst I've seen/heard levelled at Tarkowski is that he's lacking positional sense and awareness, and that comparisons to Der Kaiser are a bit misguided.

We HAVE TO REMEMBER that we are only at league one level. At this level, Tarky is excellent - a little inconsistent at time - as all our players are likely to be - but has the potential to get better and better. He's already grown immeasurably as a player in the last six months - his performances have shown a class and maturity rarely seen at this level - so give the lad a break and forgive him the occasional sin and mistake - if he was the finished article, he wouldn't be playing for us!

Some of the people on here REALLY wind me up sometimes. We should support our better players, not continuously pick holes in them.......

Problem with the happy clappers though, and I would term you as one Harry, is that you can't see anything objectively.

A player has a few decent games and he becomes top quality, destined to play in the top flight.

Manager makes a few good decisions, spouts a few soundbites and he becomes the best in the league and we're so lucky to have him.

Many slated on here are now playing in the Championship, and Tarky will do too.

Well if Tarkowski goes onto become the player that some seem to think I'll be very happy. Personally I don't really see it, because I find the consistent failings to be rather important.

I like bits of his game, but fundamental defensive flaws cannot be swept under the carpet of "not the finished article" because they will cost us in the long run. Or the short run in fact, because watching that game I felt that Pope and Hughes got far too much joy against us in the air.

But what do I know? I'm anti-Oldhamer and bitter!

Well if Tarkowski goes onto become the player that some seem to think I'll be very happy. Personally I don't really see it, because I find the consistent failings to be rather important.

I like bits of his game, but fundamental defensive flaws cannot be swept under the carpet of "not the finished article" because they will cost us in the long run. Or the short run in fact, because watching that game I felt that Pope and Hughes got far too much joy against us in the air.

But what do I know? I'm anti-Oldhamer and bitter!

So you're suggesting he shouldn't even be playing? What a load of rubbish.

I genuinely heard people saying that Neal Eardley was :censored:. Actually :censored:. The worst I've seen/heard levelled at Tarkowski is that he's lacking positional sense and awareness, and that comparisons to Der Kaiser are a bit misguided.

I genuinely heard someone having a go at Eardley a few weeks after he'd left - it was Lomax.

Comparisons to Der Kaiser are tongue in cheek.

Although, that is the style of defender he is, albeit a league one version.

He's been our best player - I'd say those nitpicking faults are the ones not being objective.

You're sick to the back teeth of all this positivity aren't you.

I dont see much constructiive critisism on this thread just negativity yet again to yet another successful product from Tony Philiskirks youth setup.

If you seriously believe that Tarky has not significantly stepped up this season you are clearly in a small minority as a look at the MOM polls so far will show.

I still find it strange that the defence in particular are getting stick and decribed as worrying. We aren't shipping loads of goals, the opposition are not having loads of attempts on goal and we dont look like conceeding loads.

What we have got is a way of playing that is quite open and whilst that sometimes leaves us prone more on the break. We are a relatively structured unit from a defensive point of view. We have also got a relatively young team and especially young defence and a mixture of inexperience and naivety will see us concede a few unnecessary goals.

But, when you look at the goals conceeded, with the exception of the keeper in the last 2 games, none can be put down to any of the back 5. I'd class most of the goals conceeded as "team" goals rather than individual errors and that surely is a sign that individuals are not letting us down. I think people are concerned because we have lost the height of JYM but of the goals conceeded to date how many have been to headers?

With our current style of play we are maybe more likely to concede than we would if we played as we did under PD, but how many would sacrifice our attacking potency for greater defensive tightness. Not me for sure.

I genuinely heard someone having a go at Eardley a few weeks after he'd left - it was Lomax.

Comparisons to Der Kaiser are tongue in cheek.

Although, that is the style of defender he is, albeit a league one version.

That's crazy behaviour from Lomax. Must have been years of built up jealousy

The problem with this quote is that you can't see the irony in it.