which stand is best?

I'm a boyhood latics fan (born in Boundary Park), just turned 37 and wanting to head home to Boundary park to start watching matches again with my 8 year old lad.

I had a season ticket back in the days of Joe Royle, Andy Ritchie, 3-1 wins against Arsenal and 7-0 against Scarborough.
:OASISscarf:

Having not been to a game for years, and living quite a way away, I want to go to the Crewe game, and give my lad a proper taste of League One passion.

My question is, what stand do you regulars think is my best bet?

id say main stand upper, chaddy end always seems to be dead nowadays - rocky road end is okay if you don't mind some awful repetitive not thought of songs by a group of 15 year olds! so ye, main stand upper in my opinion... best view for your 8 year old lad aswell!

Chaddy; very unlively when the RRE is open to home fans and is probably best for family orientated viewing. The viewing is obviously restricted by the pillars so I wouldn't personally choose the Chaddy End.

George Hill Upper; Fairly expensive and a lot of the best viewing seats are taken by season ticket holders. You'll need to purchase your tickets in advance to be able to sit in there but it probably offers the best views in the stadium.

George Hill Lower; This is probably best for your lad as it offers the chance to be closer to the players etc. Probably not as good for you as the views can be obstructed by players and the linesman, especially in congested boxes.

RRE; Offers better views than the Chaddy and also offers Beers for yourself (assuming you're not driving) and is likely to have a better atmosphere than it has had in the past few seasons.

If I was you, I'd probably go for the RRE towards the right hand side of the stand (in the letters L, A or possibly T - towards the left hand side of A/the right hand side of T is likely to be your best option).

Iv always sat in the main stand upper but with front row seats. Great views but j wouldnt reccomend it for a kids first game. Kids want atmosphere and regardless what the perception of the mid teen brigade in the rocky an 8 year old kid would buzz off it and make the day memorable. The view is one of the best behind goal views in this league as well so not too shabby

I just bought tickets for the RRE.

Am I right in thinking that the away supporters are at one end of the RRE, and that as long as I buy tickets through the latics site, I definitely won't be in the away section.

Is that right?

Yes.

Definitely the right choice sitting in the RRE with an 8 year old. Good, unrestricted view and cheaper than the main stand for under 16's.

With a youngster I'd suggest heading to the right once you enter the seating area in the RRE. The more boisterous element are to the left.

Sit at the front to the right of the goal and there's a fair chance of meeting Chaddy The Owl and spotting yourselves on The Football League Show. Better views towards the back of the stand though. If he gets the bug contact the club in December about a half-season ticket - should only be £25 for the lad, so worth it even if you miss a few games.

I'd lost football for a decade of my life as the expense of family life took control. Best thing I ever did was taking my lad and watching the recent years of frustration and mediocrity!

Thanks for that.

Is that to the right as you look at the pitch?

Yes.

Don't my tickets specify a seat, or does no-one really bother with that?

Usually unreserved seating. Except for big games.

Thought season tickets for under 12's are £10

Good point!

Edited by opinions4u

Thanks for that.

Is that to the right as you look at the pitch?

Don't my tickets specify a seat, or does no-one really bother with that?

You enter through the back (!) so once you can see the pitch head right.

Your ticket will specify a seat but you will see a sea of unused blue plastic seats so you are spoilt for choice. Some season ticket seats have a little white "Reserved" sticker on so I wouldn't advise sitting there, others will be "my seat" according to the person trying to kick you out of there but for most games you will be able to sit wherever you like.

You could sit in the allocated seat for the first half of the first game and then have a look around the stand once the game kicks off to see if there are any empty seats in the area you would prefer to sit in, then for the next you attend with you lad you can ask for your season tickets to be in those seats.

Main stand paddock everytime for me! Best view of the game and if you can get near the tunnel/technical area even better- gives you an added perspective to the game- seeing the management decisions being made..

Except when the rain blows in.