Crewe at home

Not wanting to drop Mills because he's played bad, but for me we still have the issue of square pegs with Grounds at Centre half, plus I feel Grounds is a better left back than Mills. So by having Lanzoni Tarky Kasunga and Grounds, it seems a more balanced defence.

If you think Grounds is a better full back than Mills then you're watching the game wrong.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think Grounds is a better full back than Mills then you're watching the game wrong.

I thought something similar. Mills brings a good balance between defence and attack at LB

Grounds has done OK at CB got the build for it and if he stays there all season fine. At Rotherham he was criticised a bit for loosing a header on the edge of the box after JCH had "given away" a foul but both Mills and Kasunga (Sp? sorry) could have dealt with it.

Keep the same team as started v the millers and see what happens (bar wes for mellor obviously) we can create chances with this team what we really need is to score first and a clean sheet

Schmeltz is still adapting to league one but he's getting there if we can get him 10 yards further forward we have seen he can get past people and put decent (if a bit erratic) balls in - then its up to the forwards

Funny you say that as I had non Oldham supporting mates round to watch Preston and they were like who's this Mills fella he's garbage, and then as the game progressed he improved dramatically.

Yeah I do think Grounds is better at FB than Mills, as I don't think Mills is a full back, he'd be better as a wing back or Left Winger, it's his attacking attributes that everyone is creaming over, he's not done anything special in defence.

And that's been confirmed to be just now as I asked a Burnley supporting colleague about Mills without offering any opnion of my own, and he said he's alright but he needs to be played left wing as when he played in the Championship, most clubs exploited his defensive inadequacies.

I reckon if we played him Left Wing and Grounds Left Back we'd have a lot of joy down that flank.

Correct.

This is no slight on Grounds who, in my opinion, is a Championship full back. But Mills is on a different level. The two full backs ahead of him at Burnley must be frighteningly good...

Its good to have 2 full backs who actually help out in attack. As much as I rate grounds I couldnt name a goal from open play we have scored where his involvement has mattered.

so people actually think mills is a good full back? he's a bang average full back with the luxury of being quality attacking! i like having attacking full backs but when we have two very attacking wingers already id like to have two big out and out full backs at the back (lanzoni isn't out and out full back but better defending then attacking)

Squad: Oxley, Grounds, Wesolowski, Kusinga, Tarkowski, Schmeltz, Smith, Rooney, MacDonald, Montano, Clarke-Harris, Winchester, Rodgers, Lanzoni, Dayton, Millar, Joksts, Philliskirk, Rachubka.
Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130920-squadcrewe-1066286.aspx#aWu4DmcUTbMhsmF2.99

no mills? surely a typo

i agree he's a class above our recent ones, apart from grounds! but his defending at times is woeful... the amount of silly fouls he's given away in dangerous areas since he joined! but it's great to have two very very capable left backs in our squad i suppose

Mills has looked class for me, with the exception of the first 10-20(ish) minutes at Preston where for whatever reason he was shaky, miscontrolling it a couple of times, giving away a couple of needless fouls.

That's the only time I've seen him ruffled though. He stays left back for me. I'm not sure if I'd go Grounds or Kusunga alongside Tarky though. Grounds has done very well, but Kusungu and Tarky could be the long term partnership. If that's what Johnson wants then it might be a good idea to put that partnership together starting tomorrow.

12-3 home win.

Latics concede 3 penalties in 20 minutes 1st half, the third of which Oxley is given a straight red for a two-footed studs-up challenge. Rooney silences his critics with a brace, whilst JCH runs amok with a 7 goal haul. Tarkowski hatrick. Dayton has two goals disallowed for apparantly no genuine reason, whilst Sidney is ruled offside for every single through-ball Korey Smith plays. LDJ sobs uncontrollably at the full time whistle, held tightly in the comforting arms of Billy Quarmby.

:applause1:

Wow, I wanna be at this match

Not wanting to drop Mills because he's played bad, but for me we still have the issue of square pegs with Grounds at Centre half, plus I feel Grounds is a better left back than Mills. So by having Lanzoni Tarky Kasunga and Grounds, it seems a more balanced defence.

I like Grounds but Mills is undeniably a miles better player than him. No way would I drop him. Just a shame he's only here on loan.

the basics of being a full back is to defend and grounds is not a c/h but a miles better full back than mills, their wingers skinned him everytime he wanted to today, if he cant defend he aint a full back, simple, people think that a few forward runs make him a good full back, wrong, they sent everything down that flank today because they have had him watched ,

the basics of being a full back is to defend and grounds is not a c/h but a miles better full back than mills, their wingers skinned him everytime he wanted to today, if he cant defend he aint a full back, simple, people think that a few forward runs make him a good full back, wrong, they sent everything down that flank today because they have had him watched ,

summed up perfectly

the basics of being a full back is to defend and grounds is not a c/h but a miles better full back than mills, their wingers skinned him everytime he wanted to today, if he cant defend he aint a full back, simple, people think that a few forward runs make him a good full back, wrong, they sent everything down that flank today because they have had him watched ,he

It is correct they targeted his flank - as well as hustling Smith out of the game, don't be surprised if other clubs note that from now on.

It's the managers job to come up with something to counteract this, otherwise results at BP will have the same familiar pattern.

Edited by BP1960

Give the lad a break, full back is the hardest position on a pitch. There isnt many than can fullfil the role to the high level that we expect.

in my experience... full backs one of the easiest... i don't like playing there and would prefer to play centre half but it's much easier - you have two other centre halves looking out for you (which was what tarky and grounds did all game for mills yesterday)